Jump to content
Thunder?
Local
Radar
Pollen

Corgarff Castle


ciel
 Share


During the Jacobite Rising of 1715 Corgarff Castle was used as a rendezvous point towards the end of August by the Earl of Mar while marching from his ancestral home of Kildrummy Castle to Braemar Castle, where the Royal Standard was raised on the 6th of September. Following the Jacobites’ defeat, Corgarff was forfeited and the Government returned it to the Forbes family. Thirty one years later Corgarff Castle featured in the second Jacobite Rising when it was used as a weapons store by the Jacobites. On the 2nd of March 1746 the castle was raided by Government troops and the weapons and ammunition destroyed or taken away. After the Battle of Culloden the castle was bought from the Forbes of Skellater by the Government and used as an outpost of Braemar Castle. In 1748 it underwent numerous architectural changes to make it ready for its new life as a Government garrison. - See more at: http://www.stravaiging.com/history/castle/corgarff-castle#sthash.Z5uYjpDa.dpuf

  • Like 3

From the album:

ciel's pics

  • 47 images
  • 0 comments
  • 22 image comments

Photo Information for Corgarff Castle

Taken with Panasonic DMC-GX8

  • 113 mm
  • 1/1600
  • f f/7.1
  • ISO 200
View all photo EXIF information
 Share


Recommended Comments

There are no comments to display.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...