IGNORED

Moans, ramps and banter

Message added by Blessed Weather,

Please keep this thread for moans, ramps and banter about either the weather or the model output. It is not for moaning about other members! Thank you.

Posted

Quick (very late) summary in here of my model post.

This weekend - decent for most. Possibly extending into Monday. Fairly warm and mostly dry.

Middle of next week - horrendous for the north, poor to mixed for the south.

End of next week and beyond - very uncertain, could continue cool and unsettled but also roughly equally likely to turn very warm or hot and dry. Of course Murphy's law dictates the former, but the optimist in me says we're finally going to get lucky. Anyway, we'll just have to see.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: BWh

Addicks Fan 1981 it's shocking that it's the warmest spring on record considering the lack of notable heatwaves. At some point in the near future I can see a real monster of a spring that had the high minimas of this spring but with multiple hot spells too. The CETs would be ridiculous.

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

raz.org.rain since when have heatwaves been normal in spring though? Thermal lag dictates summer (and even into September) is the time for those.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Cold, Thunder, Heat

Anyone else royally sick of these bright mornings and clear evenings when the whole usable part of the day is cold and cloudy? The cloud is already massing here... At least tomorrow looks like it's going to be genuinely sunny, that better not change!

• Like 4

Posted

Glorious early morning here.

Sunny, 15c, a little breezy. Looks like the clouds will roll in soon, though.

Posted

Took the boy out for a walk this morning. Brisk northerly so we were all wrapped up in winter coats and bobble hats. Brilliant start to summer 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal Disparity: Cold and Snowy Winters, Sunny and Warm Summers.
Posted (edited)

Ahhhh yes, another cool, cloudy East situation.

It's 2023 all over again!

Was meant to be a largely decent day today here but now looks to be 100% overcast until 12-1pm at least. That'll probably end up being later on, with the sun coming out properly at 5-6pm in time for dinner.

This country sucks man. 1st June and feels and looks no different to the 1st November.

Screenshot_20240601-090940.png

Edited by In Absence of True Seasons
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted

In Absence of True Seasons that’s basically it isn’t it - our new climate is basically one long homogeneous season with the only variation being daylight hours and a slight increase/decrease in temps. Riveting.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal Disparity: Cold and Snowy Winters, Sunny and Warm Summers.

GokouD be grateful you're getting sunny mornings, at least! We aren't even getting those here in the SE

April-June is my favourite times of year for bright, sunny mornings but we've had so, so few of them this year compared to usual.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

@northwestsnow Euros with tv in garden then with coats and gloves, if EC anything to go by

In Absence of True Seasons surely July and Aug is better for the SE? those 2 months nearly always dominated by low to NW, high to SE

Posted
2 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

surely July and Aug is better for the SE? those 2 months nearly always dominated by low to NW, high to SE

Can be. Depends on the year. They're still often very cloudy, just a couple degrees warmer than other parts of the country.

The start of June onwards last year was absolutely stellar. Which took the sting out the tail of the prior dull, wet 3-4 months.

This year, we've had an even duller and wetter Feb-May period, but don't have the amazing June to look forwards to. 

Abysmal. 

Holidaying abroad is the only way to get anything in the way of reliably settled, warm, sunny and usable weather. Same as people who want the equivalent in winter. Take a trip to Finland or whatnot.

• Like 2

Posted

In Absence of True Seasons June looking horrific in the models right now - and as we approach the solstice, usually whatever pattern is in at the time, becomes the predominant one for summer as a whole or a good indicator at least of what to expect.

Im going to Spain in a few weeks thank the Lord. 

if ECM is on the money I’m quite happy (not happy) to write June off, which leaves two months of summer and we will already be on the decline in daylight hours by the time any warmth arrives.

Then it’s simply another 8 months of autumn before the ‘chance’ of anything nice again.

What an awful 20 or so months it’s been since summer 22. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Azazel Yeah summer 2021 was cloudy and wet for much of time here. Euro final I was in a beer garden in the pouring rain with a heavy jacket on.

Decent summers are outliers. I do think that a lot of people here seem to think that July-August in London/SE is some sort of tropical experience comparable to summer in Barcelona or Rome lol. It's really not. Sure, when we get heatwaves, it's a bit hotter here than elsewhere, and generally speaking the temps *will* be a bit higher overall day-day-day, but the dominant pattern is still "dross" most of the time. And aside from that, we seem to be absolute cloud magnet in Spring nowadays. 

2018 and 2022 are the only summers in recent history where I can assuredly say "Yeah, that was an actual summer" (for those who like sunny, dry and warm weather). 

• Like 4

Posted

In Absence of True Seasons Going on holiday for me it's even worse because then you have to come back here. When I go (soon, fingers crossed) I ain't ever coming back unless it's to visit people/places.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

In Absence of True Seasons the high pressure is still moving in from the west, there is a small weather front out in the southern North Sea, hence some lingering cloud:

IMG_2614.thumb.jpeg.d1f917ffeb1ded23ee380d8ba4618a1b.jpeg

If the Met forecast is correct it will actually brighten up in the SE and stay cloudier over some northern and western areas:

IMG_2615.thumb.jpeg.6befeab287ae8924337892df8eab29a4.jpeg

It should also be the south and SE that has the best of the weather tomorrow:

IMG_2616.thumb.jpeg.12c72607633d804cabc575f401828cd0.jpeg

• Thanks 1

Posted

SunnyG the amount of times I’ve flown/driven back from the south of France and once you get north of Paris you can see the stratiform sheet just shrouding Mordor. 

Im starting to think we all did something horrible in a past life and as a punishment we’ve been reborn onto this god-forsaken rock. 

After 2 years with minimal sunshine and only brief warm/hot spells, my hair has never been so lank, dead and thin. My skin is grey. It’s gross. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny
6 minutes ago, Azazel said:

if ECM is on the money I’m quite happy (not happy) to write June off, which leaves two months of summer and we will already be on the decline in daylight hours by the time any warmth arrives.

There is having a moan and then there is this 🤣!

Probably the most depressive comment I’ve read. 

It’s not even the 1st of June yet, we can’t be writing off a whole month. Let’s hope the GFS is on the money.