Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storm Reports - Thursday 28th October 2004

Andy Bown

Posted

Woah what a night :D

We got the footy played in drizzle and gusty winds (lost 3-1 :D )

But having had 4 good hours sleep I was awoken by a deluge at 0330. Torrential rain bashing on my window then a loud rumble of thunder :shock: to the North just before 0400.

Seemed to quickly die but then replaced by another downpour, this time 3 very bright flashes of lightning :) to the South between 0405 and 0410, more gusty winds this time and no thunder heard.

Rain kept coming and going at high intensity for the next 1/2 hour.

Back to sleep but woken by another loud rumble of thunder at 0520 but no rain here at this occurence.

Lightning detector shows strikes over this area at relevant times and the radar proves the intensity of the downpours :shock:

Mr Sherman - a PM winging its way to you later. 3 more on my total :lol:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dangerous

Amazing storm here at 6.30 - 6.50 a.m., frequent thunder and lightning with torrential rain. I am excited now and want more!! :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unexpected gusts of wind, and cumulus clouds in rude and amusing shapes.

There hasn't been any sferics picked up on detectors Will, its a shame. Did you get any pics of the storm?

Posted

It wasn't Tim, but I'm pleased you had it too.

They were moving NNE, so likely that the first thunder I heard was from your storm and then a 2nd storm moved in to give the lightning just after 0400.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms.

Yep me too Andy here in Swindon around 4.30am, i'd just got up to go to work, couldn't believe ther was lightening around.Saw quite a few flashes on the way into work. :D Al.

Posted

:lol: ....Just had a very long rumble of thunder here in Swindon, it's raining very heavy too.Looking at the lightening chart there is a big band of strikes moving up from the south coast and inline with me!

Posted

:lol: Just had a bright flash, followed by a long rummble.Seems wierd to have lightening at this time of year.It must be fairly unstable up there.Al.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Easygoing, but winter is meant to be white, dammit!

Just had a fair number of flashes here...seems to have died away for the time being

Posted

I have heard a lot of thunder this afternoon but the thunder and lightning that passed overhead at around 5pm was some of the best I have seen this year, unfortunately my camera batteries were on charge after yesterdays and today’s outings.

Posted

Huge thunderstorm just to the south of my location, lightning every 20-30 seconds, amazing cloud structure as well, this is a bad one!!!

Paul Sherman

Guest ChaserUK

Great storms this afternoon. Stuck at work worse luck but the rain was nothing short of tropical in intensity. Lot's of CG and thunder and very gusty winds. However, was unable to take any readings as I have had to take down weather station as had a letter from council - this is a listed building and I should have got permission (eeeek).

Hopefully only temporary. Winds gusting quite strong now and waves crashing over the road outside again.

:lol: :lol: :D

Posted

Heavy rain has now been falling for the past ten minutes, but the thunder and lightning now appears to have stopped. Was always slightly south and west of our location though.

Posted

3 storms going on at moment.

1 is fork lighting to other 2 are sheet lighting

thunder is quite loud as well :lol: :lol: :D:D

Posted

All I can say is WOW WOW WOW, I have waited since the Nightime storm at the end of April all summer and we get this 3 days short of November!!

The best Lightning show of the year with cells to the South East / South and West of me, one huge cell overhead turned off the sky about half an hour ago, 70 minutes and still flashing away, Magic!!

Paul Sherman

Posted
Lightning to the south

lightning to the west

lightning to the south west  

:lol:   :lol:

All your moaning earlier! :D:D

Lightning to my southwest here...and just put lights out for a minute! Glad I have battery back up! 8)