Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Photos Of Late December 2000

Posted

How I long for another snowfall like that of the 28th of December 2000. I stayed up in the early hours to watch this snowfall and boy did it snow! It was very heavy and lasted for about 3 hours and left this covering of about 5". Oddly on the Saturday before Xmas my aunt asked me if we are going to get a white Christmas and I said I think we will see snow but not lying on the day but I told her to expect a major snowfall between Xmas and New Year and it will be white from then until the New Year. This was before I saw the "week ahead" forecast on the Sunday (Xmas Eve) and I didn't have internet access in those days :lol:

Morning of the 28th of December 2000

http://www.img.photobucket.com/albums/v645/zloty/Jan2903.jpg

The 30th of December 2000: Rime on the trees thanks to early freezing fog, I recorded -14C in my back garden that morning

Feb1006.jpg

Feb1005.jpg

Edited by Mr_Data

• 5 months later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Mixed winters and springs, thundery summers and meditteranean autumns

Beautiful 'winter wonderland' photos!

I remember that snowfall well. We had around 4 inches during the early hours, with hardly a breath of wind - so it settled superbly and evenly. Some quite severe frosts afterwards too.

I remember the fronts and winds originating from Greenland too. <_<

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

I remember that snowfall very well too.

Initially I was looking forward to the prospect of a white Christmas in Tyne & Wear as a cold easterly brought hail and sleet showers on Christmas Eve, but unfortunately the warming effects of the North Sea held the temperature up at around 5C overnight (falling to 3C in hail and sleet showers) and Christmas Day was green.

The wind slackened and veered northerly, and a wet snow event on Boxing Day morning produced a partial snow cover of about 2cm, which stuck around all day on the 26th and 27th which were both very sunny.

The 28th saw the main snow event miss the north-east coast of England as it stalled over the Pennines. However, we got some east-coast snow showers of our own, which produced significant accumulations during the following night- at 5am on the 29th there was even some thunder and lightning accompanying the snow, my first ever authentic sighting of "thundersnow". About 7-8cm (3 in) lay on the 29th and stuck around until late on the 31st. I went sledging on the 30th.

The one thing that stuck out for me during that cold snap was the atmosphere, the Christmas lights, the snow cover, and altogether a very quiet and in many ways spooky spell of weather.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unexpected gusts of wind, and cumulus clouds in rude and amusing shapes.

I remember the snowfall quite well, very nice. I saw lightning as well about 6am during a snowstorm which was very very bright. Altogether very exciting, about 3 inches of snow here. Heaviest snow here was sometime around Christmas 1995 or 1996, about 6/7 inches.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.
I remember the snowfall quite well, very nice. I saw lightning as well about 6am during a snowstorm which was very very bright. Altogether very exciting, about 3 inches of snow here. Heaviest snow here was sometime around Christmas 1995 or 1996, about 6/7 inches.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yep thats true 1996, thundersnow, I woke up in the morning to find over a foot, it was nearly as deep as i was tall, that was by far the best lying snow event ive ever seen.

Posted

Funny isn't it....come March/April time, the thought of another winter is too horrible to contemplate. Come July however, and with the help of photos like those, all of a sudden, it doesn't seem so bad, does it!

A couple I took around the same time can be found here and here. You might recognise them.....I don't like to boast though!

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

The problem with snow over the last few years has been that the snowflakes have not been very big due to the air being too dry and warm to allow large snowflakes to fall at a fast pace.

Posted

Amazing pictures Mr.D,

Brings back some fond memories late December 2000, the previous winter I had seen next to no snow so was pessimistic about the chance of seeing snow that winter. On the morning of the 28th I was in Brighton and we had a dusting but it was nothing special TBH, but as I moved into Kent the scenery transformed into a winter wonderland! I admit I didn't know much about the weather back then so I wasn't totally aware of why it was like this which I think made it even more magical!

WBSH