Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storms 2005

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter, warm and sunny in summer
Picture no2 is amazing.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks. I'm not even sure what it is I'm looking at :D ! Possibly the leading edge of a cumulonimbus.

Posted

You are looking at a shelf cloud

Below is a brief description

“A shelf cloud is similar to lenticularis cloud, but on a much larger scale. A shelf cloud sometimes forms ahead of a severe, long-lasting thunderstorm such as a mesoscale convective system (MCS), multicell or supercell. Cold downdraft air surges out along the surface and lifts the (usually conditionally stable) warm air ahead of the storm up to condensation level. A smooth shelf-like cloud forms, skirting the thunderstorm. The shelf cloud is usually accompanied by a gustfront and sometimes also a roll cloud.”

Posted
Many apologies then, I agree they are great but I did not intend to mislead.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Top pics Rollo, wherever they came from (nice of your son to send those) :D

Posted

Wow, nice gust front! :D You rarely see them so good in this country :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter, warm and sunny in summer
You are looking at a shelf cloud

Below is a brief description

“A shelf cloud is similar to lenticularis cloud, but on a much larger scale. A shelf cloud sometimes forms ahead of a severe, long-lasting thunderstorm such as a mesoscale convective system (MCS), multicell or supercell. Cold downdraft air surges out along the surface and lifts the (usually conditionally stable) warm air ahead of the storm up to condensation level. A smooth shelf-like cloud forms, skirting the thunderstorm. The shelf cloud is usually accompanied by a gustfront and sometimes also a roll cloud.”

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Cheers Adi, good explanation. You certainly know your clouds.

Posted
Cheers Adi, good explanation. You certainly know your clouds.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Anti mild I do indeed know my clouds if I my say so myself but the description is someone else’s description as I felt the it explained the cloud type with the minimum of fuss

• 2 weeks later...
Posted
Wow, nice gust front! :)   You rarely see them so good in this country :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

i live in the south east of england and been watching the weather this year, today we had a big storm with brought some shelf clouds and a few days ago there was an amazing storm coming from the west over kent, i will try and get the pics on pc tonite, also last year i took some pictures of some storms that were just north of here about 30 miles and there was 3 storms in a row, amazing never seen weather like this since i was a kid, what got me into storms was in 1992 when kent got hit by an eletrical storm (mum calls them that lol) and there was about 40+ flashes in the sky a min after that i was hooked, who else lives in the south east from the message boards, will come here more often great website tooo :):):):):):)

Posted

Hi all, heres a few shots i took when on holiday earler in May. Location was Weyborne, near Sherringham, Norfolk (7/5/05) I was camping there with friends, but my parents were staying at Holme (near Hunstanton) They had the full extent of the storm... Large hailstones, alot of lightning etc.

Posted

Thanks Paul :angry: Took about 30 in total of that storm... the Mamatus clouds were really big. Also I have pics of the clouds that got Stone (near Stoke on Trent) flooded last year, i was roughly 14 miles from Stone at the time. 3 Storms in all passed me by, kinda good to see them at a good distance (even tho ide have prefered to be in the middle of them!!)

Posted
Hi all, heres a few shots i took when on holiday earler in May. Location was Weyborne, near Sherringham, Norfolk (7/5/05) I was camping there with friends, but my parents were staying at Holme (near Hunstanton) They had the full extent of the storm... Large hailstones, alot of lightning etc.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

cracking set of pictures there, i forgot to say before im new 2 the forum, we had a storm a few days ago again in the south of england dover got it quite bad and we got a few rumbles of thunder :angry: but one day soon after this cold spell maybe the weather for us will pick up and storm, i know florida has a tropical storm heading there way and could possibly be a cat 1 hurricane on landfull so something to watch there across the pond. does anyone know how bad the storms are in norway im going there for the summer (3 months) and i will have to get some picson here if they do

take care everyone

• 2 weeks later...
Posted

Hi,

Not much, but we have not had anything real good (yet). :(

It was taken Last night (19/06/2005 at around 10pm)

190605.jpg

Sorry about the quality but i was out for a walk and took it on my mobile as i did not think to take my camera. :)

Posted
  • Location: Sth Staffs/Shrops 105m/345' & NW Snowdonia 219m/719'
  • Location: Sth Staffs/Shrops 105m/345' & NW Snowdonia 219m/719'

Storms - Sunday 19 June 2005 - South Staffs/Shrops

These clouds were growing quickly from this, at 16:26 (looking SW towards the Clee Hills).

gallery_1596_77_10194.jpg

To this, at 18:00 (looking NW towards The Wrekin)

gallery_1596_77_42211.jpg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Snow

The first picture is from Sunday 19 June, not sure what it is, but I liked it!

2nd Picture is also from that Sunday (both pictures taken around 3pm

The 3rd picture is of lightning this morning (June 24th) at about 6.40am.

It's the first time I ever captured lightning in a picture :)

Kain

Posted

wow some excellent pictures there,sorry i havnt nothing to show yet but i just had to comment on the array of those excellent pictures in this thread.................i knew i bought a camera for a reason, i now know why.