Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storm Chase Log 12th May 2005

Posted

Drove south from o/n location @ Grand Island (Ne). Have got to get to the Oklahoma/Kansas border for target area but passing through strong storms in Kansas and floods in Nebraska had inhibited our progress. Could'nt quite reach the Panhandles so had a bit of fun in Kansas with the Messy Mcs and got a bit of a bargain from one of them North of Wichita (Ks) At 530pm we spotted a funnel cloud in Chase County (Ks) :):) Again Matt will post the pic of this.

The Barons system was showing a Supercell on the triple point forming just North of Lubbock (Tx) and sure enough a strong tornado formed near Plainview (Tx) but the Geography beat us this time. Now sitting in a Motel in Fairview (OK) and are pretty close to target area tomorrow. Storm moving up from the Supercell area should give us a free fireworks display tonight anyway.

Paul Sherman

Guest ChaserUK

Only a few pics from today as visibility was that bad - DP's pretty high and every cell that went up was just full of torrential rain. Yet we decided to head south out of the muck looked around and this is what we saw! Decent rotation too but it did not last too long - I think tomorrow will be better.

Pic 1 - Some amazing mammatus as we were approaching our target area. Incredible that we were still behind the frontal boundary in temps no more than 65F.

Pic 2 - More of that mammatus.

Pic 3 - FUNNEL CLOUD - there were sure signs of rotation but we suspect cold outflow from a nearby cell became entraped in the inflow which basically killed it off.

Pic 4 - A gust front near to where the FC formed

post-14-1115960041.jpg

post-14-1115960057_thumb.jpg

post-14-1115960069.jpg

post-14-1115960079.jpg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms

Great Pics , hope you get some more action today.

Guest ChaserUK

A line of severe storms popping off near Plainview, TX today have propogated in our direction tonight - here is a quick lightning shot taken no more than 10 minutes ago - storm now cleared so off to bed ready to make a play for the TX panhandle tomorrow for the dryline magic!

post-14-1115966160.jpg

Guest ChaserUK

Thanks Steve - btw - where you headed tomorrow, I was actually thinking somewhere near Plainview perhaps. I know they had major action today but the same area looks good for tomorrow too!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter, warm and sunny in summer

Fantastic pics. Those mammatus photos are incredible!

Posted

Great pictures there Matt,from what I saw last night some pretty strong sotmrs brewing furthur south although tha MCS did look abit off a mess,i'm sure it still gave a good show.

nice gust front and FC there.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unexpected gusts of wind, and cumulus clouds in rude and amusing shapes.

Fantastic photos. Great to see your chase is going so well.