Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storm Chase Log 14 May 2005

Guest ChaserUK

Guest ChaserUK

Ah well intially today has been a bust and we have located ourselves in a hotel in Odessa on I20 in SW TX. I say an intial bust as towers have now started to go up and we are in a SLIGHT risk area and Severe Thunderstorm Watch. I reckon there will be severe storms within a couple of hours.

Posted
  • Location: Leicester City Centre (Home) Ashby-De-La-Zouch (Work)
  • Location: Leicester City Centre (Home) Ashby-De-La-Zouch (Work)

As I'm the only person here I'll say; I wish you luck with your storm chasing today and hope to see some great photos on your return. :)

Go chase those storms. ;)

Edited by Nabraxas

Guest ChaserUK

The only pics I have managed from today so far are as follows using super macro on the camera.

Pic 1 - Bee

Pic 2 - Ant

Pic 3 - The one updraft that soon fell apart (remember I am sitting here waiting for late storms developing from the South!!).

Pic 4 - Our windscreen - two hail dents covered with duct tape and a large crack that has now developed! Better be careful in the next hail storm.

post-14-1116129478.jpg

post-14-1116129520.jpg

post-14-1116129550_thumb.jpg

post-14-1116129613_thumb.jpg

Posted

cricky Matt that is some crack.

A strong looking set off cells now pushing up through south-west Texas,its fairly potent looking.Fairly low stuff in comprasion to yesterdays with tops off just 44,000 and the rest even lower then that.MCS looks to be moving westwards at present.Too be honest i don't think its that severe although it wouldn't be that pleasent to drive in I suspect.Heres a image of radar from South-west Texas:

W_Texas1.gif

and heres a satilite image off this system,notice ow large the cloud cover is,,certainly looks like a meso-convective system to me,with probably pretty poor driving condtions and probably some flooding as well depending on how fast and how potent it is at the time it passes over:

us-vis.gif

(its the system over western Texas)

Edited by kold weather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unexpected gusts of wind, and cumulus clouds in rude and amusing shapes.

May I say, many congratulations on damaging your windscreen.

Posted

Well guys we have just been slammed by a 3 hour T-Storm at Odessa ( West Tx) and now have Flash flood alerts flashing on the Tv Screens. We had 2 brown outs and the back-up generator kicked in, was outside filming it on Video at 6am but a few PLASMA Bolts hit the ground a few hundred metres in front of me so i retreated behind the glass door :blink: :D

Paul Sherman

Posted

Hi we stayed in Amarillo TX and yes I know the blinking way! :-) anyway today we are not convinced its worth traveling anywhere so it looks like staying put today and waiting for things to change, there is a new trigger coming off the Pacific and should be with us Wednesday onwards in the mean time we will hope to find other focal points probably not a million miles from the Panhandle area.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms

Cracking stuff, literally. :):D :blink:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unexpected gusts of wind, and cumulus clouds in rude and amusing shapes.

Glad to see there was some activity. :blink: