Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storm Chase Log 15th May 2005

Posted

Well we are in Odessa (Tx) and today is a strange one, we really do not know what is going to unfold, the storms from last night have changed everything so need to collect data and make a decision, not looking good for Supercells though :blink: :D

Paul Sherman

Guest ChaserUK

Indeed. It looks like we will rebook in here for another day to be honest. The ongoing convection has stopped any chance of a chase today - poor visibility and cloud cover will stop convection dead. We are also well placed for tomorrow if we stay here.

Currently watching storm drains near our location fill up rapidly!

Posted

Yeah the MCS looks like it has killed off any chance off a supercell due to the sheer amount off cloud the thing has associated with it,as I said in a post earlier in the thread.Still it is a fairly potent system nonetheless and wcertainly warrents a flash flood warnnig as there is a few hours off heavy rain possible from this system.

Still,the risk was only marginal anyway for today,now the only risk is off flooding I suspect.

Posted

Same here guys, we are staying in Amarillo at the "BIG TEXAN" steaks are nice anyway, waiting for the red light to change to green on the Moisture flow grim :-( still its been a good week great super cell that myself and my car and matt, paul and guys were on super shots got of the structure real mother ship top stuff, sorry to hear about window screen guys :-( I bet it was a real rush though!l

Edited by stevestorms

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms

Sounds like your having a great time, I will have to start saving, so I can go on one of these trips.

When you get back,If you could post some info on how to go about aranging a trip, that would be great Steve.

Posted

ok no probs Steve, in short though you just have to say B******s im going! make the commitment early so it gives you a year to find the cash, myself I am not going next year I have 2 daughters "STORM" who is 6 and "Danica" who is 20months and they miss their daddy so next year is a no go so I will be planning chase 07 in fact when I get home im back on duty for 4 shifts then my family and I are all off to St Lucia for 2 weeks so I will need next year to pay for it all :-)

Posted

Hi Steve, Bit of a down day eh?? But i bet those steaks are juicy. One question that has ben bugging us for a few days. The picture of the Tornado on the 13th May Mothership, was that just after we pulled up behind you on Highway 6, your car sped off South and we stopped again just South of Knox City and had an amazing updraft above our heads, the Tornado Sirens were going off in Knox City so could you clarify, there was another lowering west of Benjamin on that day also. Are you Panhandling tomorrow, if so what area are you targeting??

Paul Sherman

Guest ChaserUK

15:28 CDT UPDATE

Still sat here in the hotel room and it's still raining. Vis Sat however does indicate that skies clearing to our West so I would hope the atmosphere can regenerate and become unstable later this afternoon. Storm drain levels have dropped somewhat although there is still flooding throughout Odessa.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms
ok no probs Steve, in short though you just have to say B******s im going! make the commitment early so it gives you a year to find the cash, myself I am not going next year I have 2 daughters "STORM" who is 6 and "Danica" who is 20months and they miss their daddy so next year is a no go so I will be planning chase 07 in fact when I get home im back on duty for 4 shifts then my family and I are all off to St Lucia for 2 weeks so I will need next year to pay for it all :-)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah been promising myself for a while now, so a real effort is needed I think. Started saving, how much do you think you need , all inclusive?.

Posted
Hi Steve, Bit of a down day eh?? But i bet those steaks are juicy. One question that has ben bugging us for a few days. The picture of the Tornado on the 13th May Mothership, was that just after we pulled up behind you on Highway 6, your car sped off South and we stopped again just South of Knox City and had an amazing updraft above our heads, the Tornado Sirens were going off in Knox City so could you clarify, there was another lowering west of Benjamin on that day also. Are you Panhandling tomorrow, if so what area are you targeting??

Paul Sherman

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi Paul we worked out that it was 6 miles I think north of Benjamin in Knox county at that town we went straight over south and ended up high on that hilly road there was a rocky rise to our west a large wall cloud decended over it then went back up, the focal point then shifted from the west split tail end to the east split (ie it crossed the road) the rain curtains were wrapping round everything became really really quite then out of the rain curtains the Tornado appeared! it lasted 3 mins

Tomorrow I think we will trust the SPC to steer us really dont know was thinking SW Ks but between us we will make final plans in the morning if I get a chance I will post our target area, good luck chaps.

Posted
Yeah been promising myself for a while now, so a real effort is needed I think. Started saving, how much do you think you need , all inclusive?.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi Steve, well its going to be in the region of 2k for 3 weeks as a rough guide that would be going with friends that have been before ( or you will get munched) flight car hire petrol food and hotels, when we get back James will post up a break down on our website which will give you a much better idea, you could proably do it cheaper than 2k but it depends on how many are going your flight cost and where you stay. all I can say is that you wont see nothing like these monsters in the UK :blink:

Posted

Hi Steve, Yes from looking at my video i now know exactly what happened.

The 1st brief tornado was just 1 mile to the west of Benjamin, i have the rotation on my Vid, we then pushed a further 2 miles South to Knox City and met you 1 mile South of there on the side of the road, by this time the Tornado Sirens were going off in Knox City and the State troopers sirens were going off. When we both took off you must have gone straight South a further 4 miles up the hill, but we stopped about 1 mile further down b4 the east turn off to Heskell. What i saw to my North-East was what looked like hail shredding trees but now it looks like this was the Tornado crossing the road as i have this on Video, we were virtually under the main Updraft so our pictures just show heavy precip moving across the road. Your position was much further out of the precip and hence the better shot.

HOW CLOSE WERE WE TO BEING MUNCHED!! :blink: :D:)

Paul Sherman