Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storm Chase Log 16th May 2005

Posted

Well today is my last day chasing in the Big Ol USA & We have a more than healthy chance of seeing a Supercell in the Northern Tx/Ok Panhandle b4 Matt and Co drop me off in probably Kansas for an Internal tomorrow morning to DFW,Matt,Peter and Ian are out here until 28th so expect more lively reports.

Will update later.

Regards

Paul Sherman

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unexpected gusts of wind, and cumulus clouds in rude and amusing shapes.

Bet the chase went quick for you Paul. Anyways hope you have a good day today. Have a safe journey back to the UK.

I think if I ever go storm chasing in the US, I'll have to sample one of the famous Texan steaks (I'd go just to eat steaks - larvely!).

Posted

Hi Paul,hope you had a great time in the U.S,bet it did go really fast didn't it.Still I'm sure you have had a great time out there trying to track those supes and also those hoses.

Saw some great looking storms on satilite on radar out there,although I bet they were something else when you were under them though!

Guest ChaserUK

Well we had to drop off Paul at Amarillo, TX to get internal flight tomorrow around 11. It was just too far out of our way for position tomorrow.

We are currently in Lamar, CO at an elevation of 4,300ft so feel light headed at the moment. Saw one tower which could not hold it together and that was it.

Tomorrow looking MUCH better with high based rotating supercells - should make for long ropy and photogenic tornadoes if there are any.

Posted

Hi we arrived around 1800hrs in Mc cook Nebraska we are staying at the DAYS INN have not had chance to write an update because pete and james are to busy playing games to give up there laptops for me to write anything :-( anyway looks like we will be playing spot the cell on the i80 tomorrow the only problem is that anywhere north of the i80 starts getting very hilly so we will have to make good choices tomorrow and get on a cell early as I fear they maybe moving at quiet a rate :-(

Guest ChaserUK

we are on Mountain Time LOL but still knackered as we have less air to breath! We are thinking North Platte for tomorrow. Whilst SP's will develop to the north, more discreet and isolated SP's could develop to the S - the I70 should provide the route the could take us either way, especially E if storms that develop move quickly. Current time here is 00:07 and we are off to bed for a 9am start tomorrow.

we are on Mountain Time LOL but still knackered as we have less air to breath!  We are thinking North Platte for tomorrow.  Whilst SP's will develop to the north, more discreet and isolated SP's could develop to the S - the I70 should provide the route the could take us either way, especially E if storms that develop move quickly.  Current time here is 00:07 and we are off to bed for a 9am start tomorrow.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:):):p:) hi matt glad you are having a good time,weather in jersey terrible really cold just started to rain at least your weather is exciting.take care, from the demented woman with no kitchen and bathroom..............

Guest ChaserUK

thanks for that - just got up and ready to role in an hour. Target remains North Platte for today. Will get the Baron's system up and running on the move - should really help find the sweet spot today!

Guest ChaserUK

A tornado was reported by Stu from UKWW Team - West of North Platte!!!

Looks like my target of North Platte not too bad then eh? IF I HAD STUCK TO IT - that is. We decided to stay south of there. We saw the tower go off but decided to hang around as the convection would travel back down the dryline -which boy - did it!

I have seen the best convection today and we have seen 1.5 inch hail and had to take cover on a number of occasions. We also saw many spin-ups underneath Baron's indicated lowerings so not too sure what they were but we know a lot of dust was being sucked up today - we got caught in the most horrendous dust storm just W of Holdrege, NE and hail. We are there this evening watching the squall line dissappear to our East. Major road flooding here - nearly floated to the hotel!

All in all a very enjoyable chase and pretty hairy at times with golf ball hail hitting the already damaged windscreen. Pictures to follow.........

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Thanks for the update Chaser... :D Don't get too wet! :)

Guest ChaserUK

...as promised here are the pictures. I will probably post more when I get time.....

Pic 1 - The first tower which went up, died and then reinvigourated within 20 minutes.

Pic 2 - The storms today were always going to form a squall line along the dryline which is what you see here.

Pic 3 - The inflow into these storms was incredible - up to 45mph - here dust is stripped off the fields!

Pic 4 - Further development of the system into a squall line.

Pic 5 - This more intense updraft embedded within the squall line took on a Supercell Mothership appearance.

Pic 6 - Menacing sky with cracked windscreen to boot.

Pic 7 - This is what I call CONVECTION.

Pic 8 - This is looking back down the squall line into the South.

Pic 9 - Yes, the hail. We picked these up off the grass during the point we were sheltering from the hailstorm.

Pic 10 - From my Baron's system - our position is indicated via GPS by the small white brick with the range finder sticking out in front - the meso (funnel cloud) is directly in front.

post-14-1116387204_thumb.jpg

post-14-1116387222.jpg

post-14-1116387241_thumb.jpg

post-14-1116387263_thumb.jpg

post-14-1116387280.jpg

post-14-1116387301_thumb.jpg

post-14-1116387321.jpg

post-14-1116387344.jpg

post-14-1116387366_thumb.jpg

post-14-1116387873_thumb.jpg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms

Nice pics, love the Hail one.

Posted

Well I am back in good old Blighty and i must say that BA Have looked after me famously. Got my Internal flight from Amarillo to DFW And chatted up the BA Stewardess and 45 minutes b4 the flight my name was called and a new noarding pass was given to me being Row 10E And i was duly upgraded to Club Class, The Poached Salmon and Fillet steak with Champagne for 9 hours was superb, an absolute bonus to be looked after like royalty by British Airways, fully refreshed after sleeping on a flat bed seat for 6 hours.

Paul Sherman

Posted

Hi Mrs M, the funny thing was that i had my sandels, ripped jeans and White T-Shirt on sitting next to business men in suits and as they call you 1st the rest of the plane in Cattle Class walk through the area and they must have been saying "This guy is in the wrong area surely".

Paul Sherman

Posted

Good to see you back mate :)

We are all looking forward to hearing a little more about your trip

Posted
Well I am back in good old Blighty and i must say that BA Have looked after me famously. Got my Internal flight from Amarillo to DFW And chatted up the BA Stewardess and 45 minutes b4 the flight my name was called and a new noarding pass was given to me being Row 10E And i was duly upgraded to Club Class, The Poached Salmon and Fillet steak with Champagne for 9 hours was superb, an absolute bonus to be looked after like royalty by British Airways, fully refreshed after sleeping on a flat bed seat for 6 hours.

Paul Sherman

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Glad you had a good time out there - and having flown BA club before, it's brill isn't it?

At least you know the way to Amarillo!!

Posted

glad to see you had a good time out in the U.S of A!

and Matt,wow those pictures are quite something,some great hail there,most impressive and picture 7 and 5 were also very impressive,some great convective actvity there indeed!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unexpected gusts of wind, and cumulus clouds in rude and amusing shapes.

Lovely Pictures. Truly fantastic.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Fantastic congestus, Matt...Sheer brilliance!!! :):):)

Have a safe journey home guys... B) :D