Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storm Chase Log 20 May 2005

Guest ChaserUK

Guest ChaserUK

Today will be a down day as the action is too far north and not that spectacular to be honest. We have already clocked over 5,000 miles and feeling knackered quite frankly. Gonna use today to do some shopping, relax and try and get some PROPER food for a change.

Tomorrow looks far better and we should not have far to go.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms.. Heavy snow.

5000 miles, phew thats a long way. Better luck tomorrow mate :)

Posted

Hi all, well this lookes being my round up of the tour.

It has been a hard slog really some chasers out here saying the worst Tornado season in 8 years! so I count myself lucky for seeing 2 :-) we have had some great Lightning and some fantastic action, yesterday was a big bust a 800 mile drive and see nothing! we stretched ourselfs from Kansas out to St Louis when we got there it looked like the firing line was spreading SE away from us, so at 20:40 hrs we made a choice to head back SW all the way to Norman Oklahoma arriving at 0330 this morning only to see that on the way if we had waited another hour or so we would have got a light show ! never mind thats chasing! and the fact is we have to be at DFW tomorrow morning to fly home.

SUM-UP Well wish we had been here for a out-break but still see more lightning than you can throw sticks at got a real nice truncated cone Tornado and one night time Tornado great fun with the Baron System which when paired with a ETREX GPS UNIT is the DOGS! OH! and not used with a INVERTER but a proper laptop adaptor no faults and worked 100% allowing us to weave between cores and miss or catch hail :-)

HIGHLITES--- Tornado and Hail Roar much louder than I have heard in the past and also HAIL-FOG which was great diving into the fog right on the very edge of the main core and picking up the hail---was really cool!

catch you all back in the green land for some good old English Tstorms.

Edited by stevestorms

Guest ChaserUK

Talking of hail growl - heard it for the first time 3 days ago just outside Holdrege, KS and it was SCAREY; this was where we took the pics of the large hail. It sounded so ominous and damn well forboding. It was amazing. Currently 92f here and terribly hot!

Guest Sir Seany
Talking of hail growl - heard it for the first time 3 days ago just outside Holdrege, KS and it was SCAREY; this was where we took the pics of the large hail.  It sounded so ominous and damn well forboding.  It was amazing.  Currently 92f here and terribly hot!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Seems like your having exhausting fun... :)

I should tell you ChaserUK i have saved all the aerial satellite views of the USA by day while youv'e been there :) You can PM me for some small versions of them if you want :)

Edit: Or if you want i'll start a thread with them all in, the large and complete files are 1km a pixel, 5192x2993 pixels, and if you want them i'll e-mail them to you when you get back :)

Edited by Sir Seany

Guest ChaserUK

..thanks that would be great if you could start a thread on them - I just have not had the time to capture such images.

Posted
..thanks that would be great if you could start a thread on them - I just have not had the time to capture such images.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Just a quick pic of some of the hail we were picking up! we drove into the hail fog stopping just short of the main core while it growled loudly above really cool to think a storm can maintain updrafts so strong that all that ice is being suspended in thin air until it becomes to heavy for the tstorm to support it anymore when it then falls to earth, the hail roar is made by thousands of tons of ice grinding and smashing against each other high up in the storms updrafts !

post-110-1116635665.jpg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms

Some nice hail there Steve