Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Small Twister In Caithness

Posted

Hi Folks,

thought some of you might like to see a small tornado we had up here on sunday :D

had a few people send photographs in to my website so i made a gallery for them and our local community board put my site on their front page today because of the pics :D:D

guess who's dead chuffed :D

direct link to twister page

Edited by tugmistress

Posted

WOW!! :D

best hide those photos in case chaser sees them.. LOL..

if things dont start happening over in the states shortly im sure the hump he'll bring back would mean the first road bridge between uk mainland and jersey will be established.. :D:D

potty

Posted
  • Location: Leicester City Centre (Home) Ashby-De-La-Zouch (Work)
  • Location: Leicester City Centre (Home) Ashby-De-La-Zouch (Work)

Wow, amazing photographs, you're extremely lucky. :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and thundery or Cold and snowy.

VERY nice pics!!!

dunno what to say... How damn lucky are you :D

ok this year is geting silly.

So far ive found well over 10 reports of tornadoes , either people are taking more pics or this year is good / bad ( depends on the way you look at it )

I must admit this year so far has been impressive! ive had a few storms allready, 2 of them have been BIG! and proberly caused 1 or 2 funnels, But those have been at night....

Other storms have been good also, So i cant wait till later this sumer!

Edited by Lynxus

Guest Mr_S

might be worth headin a report to TORRO as well for their databases :D

Thanks for the pics - very nice. Goes to show why ya should always have a camara handy i guess

Posted

who or what is TORRO?

Posted

oh yeah, before shoot off to work, we have had about 3 of these tornados up here within the last 12 months.from what i can gaher it lasted about 15 minutes.

a friend of mine also has an older picure of a shed being actaully lifted off the ground at Wick

catch you all about 9am

Edited by tugmistress

Posted

super photos

the new tornado capital of the UK!

Posted

Thks for the pictures! I've posted a copy of the picture and a link to this thread on UKww.

Paula - if you go to http://www.torro.org.uk/TORRO/appeal/quewwtxt.php there's a questionaire you can fill in and sent to TORRO (The British Tornado and Storm Research Organisation)

You may well get one of the TORRO members on UKww contact you too......

There were several reports of possible tornadoes around the country at the weekend but that's the first pictures I've seen - and some of the best of a UK tornado ever! It's not entirely clear from the pictures whether it's actually touching the ground (if it doesn't make contact it's only a funnel cloud) but I'd say it looks like it would have done so at some point. Do you know if there was any damage caused?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unexpected gusts of wind, and cumulus clouds in rude and amusing shapes.

Great tornado. Very clear.

Posted

Some excellent pictures there and most certainly a tornado. :D

Is it possible to go and take a look at the area it touched down, as for TORRO's database it would be useful to have an idea of the damage that it may have caused to give it a rating. A fairly exact location would be useful too. Have we any idea of its duration, things like that? All useful things to log before the detail is forgotten. :D

Posted

Nearly forgot... we've a new online form for logging these events at TORRO now, so rather than using the antiquated form Andy has pointed you to, would you mind going to the TORRO Reporting Form and entering the details you have there instead.

Posted

ok, am back at work in 10 minutes with one of the people that sent me photographs, so will see if he can take me out there after the ferry sails at 1:15pm.

i will get all the details i can for you guys, but yes i know it touched down, no damage has been publicly talked about but i have only been to work and not the pub! it lasted at least 15 minutes....on our local footy teams site there is even a small animation....

http://www.patheticsharks.co.uk/news/stories/news213b.htm

the guy sent me the link to his page this morning :D

i'll be back soon and go find that form :D

Posted

brilliant footage there Paula, the UK centre for tornadoes. I would not have put you as one of the most likely places in GB and, if everone is honest, I doubt anyone else on the forum would.

cheers

John

Posted
brilliant footage there Paula, the UK centre for tornadoes. I would not have put you as one of the most likely places in GB and, if everone is honest, I doubt anyone else on the forum would.

cheers

John

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I expect that area can be pretty good actually John... all you need is a decent updraught and the wind in the right direction when there are so many headlands and hills to shed vortices. I suspect not many are logged for the region because it is so sparsely populated when compared to places like Sussex, so I think it's probable many more cases go unreported than reported there.

That said, as this funnel lasted up to 15 minutes it was certainly very long lived by UK standards and suggests a pretty persistent mesocyclone within the storm. Were there any other interesting features of the storm Paula, lots of lightning, hail, anything like that?

Posted

Wouldn't it be more useful if it was under the 'Appeal for Information' heading on the website? So I can find it...................... :D

Posted

That's in the pipeline Andy... I take it you missed our recent discussions on the subject! :D:D:D

Posted

BTW, apparently John Mason has witnessed similarly long lived funnels in Mid Wales which weren't associated with persistent mesocyclones, so it looks like the vortex shedding idea is a goer!...

Posted
PK, on the march newsletter for torro, there's a link to the new whirlwind database. It doesn't work, is it not working anymore or is it members only.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I couldn't find it a while ago until I asked Stu either. :lol:

The vortex shedding idea would certainly sound like a possible explaination. :)

Edited by P.K.