Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

2005 And Years Ending In"5"

Posted

I posted this earlier in the year

I don't buy into weather cycles but there are some odd statistical quirks out there. One of them is years ending in "5". For some reason the seasons and even individual months in the years have tended towards the extremes and quite often record breaking.

UPDATED

1995: Very mild winter, record breaking heatwaves in May with snowfalls and record breaking May minima in same month, one of the hottest summers on record, hottest August on record, one of the warmest Octobers on record, record breaking minima in December

1985: Record breaking heatwave in early October,the coldest November since 1925, December much warmer than November

1975: One of the warmest winters on record, record breaking May minima at end of May, snowfalls in early June, the hottest August on record at the time.

1965: Record breaking frosts at start of March, record breaking heatwave at end of March, coldest July since 1922

1955: Coldest March with 1917 since 1892, snowfalls in May, 4th hottest summer at the time of the 20th century

1945: Very cold January followed by an exceptionally mild February. 2nd warmest spring on record.

1935: Very mild winter (+6), notable snowfalls in May with record breaking frosts.

1925: The driest June on record, the last sub 4C November

1915: Snowfall in May,record breaking May minima, the coldest Nov of the 20th Century, the coldest since 1782

1905: The coldest October of the 20th century

1895: The coldest February on record until 1947, record breaking September heatwave, November warmer than October

1885: very cold May, the coldest August since 1845.

1875: the mildest January since 1834 followed by a cold February, March colder than January

1865: The first 3 months, very cold, March coldest since 1845, the warmest April on record, September much warmer than August, the warmest since 1729

1855: the coldest Feb on record until 1895, the first sub zero Feb for 115 years, very cold May.

1845: the coldest March since 1785, the coldest August since 1725

1835:-

1825: the driest July on record

1815: very cold January followed by a very mild February (akin to Jan/Feb 1945)

1805: the driest November on record until Nov 1945

1795: the coldest month on record (January), the warmest September since 1729, December much warmer than November (akin to Nov/Dec 1985)

1785: the coldest Feb with 1765 since 1740, very cold March (1.2), the coldest since 1674, colder than January, the coldest August since 1738

1775: The wettest July until July 1828

1765: the coldest Feb since 1740, the coldest December since 1742

1755: Very warm April, April warmer than May

1745: Cold June, coldest with 1725 and 1705 since 1698

1735: -

1725: coldest summer on record

1715: the coldest December since 1683

1705: very cold June, December warmer than November

1695: 2nd coldest year on record, 2nd coldest spring and summer on record.

1685: October as warm as September

1675: Coldest June and September on record

1665:-

• Like 1

Posted

1995: record breaking May minima

1975: record breaking May minima at end of May,

1955: record breaking May minima

1935: record breaking May minima.

1915: record breaking May minima,

and for 2005, we had a record breaking May minimum of -6.3C on the 18th.

So far this year

The most northerly Feb since 1889

The first half of March was the coldest since 1996 but the second half was the warmest since 1938

The first half of May was colder than the second half of March in a few locations

Record breaking May minimum

The highest May temperature recorded for 58 years

Edited by Mr_Data

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
Posted
1995: record breaking May minima

1975:  record breaking May minima at end of May,

1955: record breaking May minima

1935:  record breaking May minima.

1915: record breaking May minima,

and for 2005, we had a record breaking May minimum of -6.3C on the 18th.

So far this year

The most northerly Feb since 1889

The first half of March was the coldest since 1996 but the second half was the warmest since 1938

The first half of May was colder than the second half of March in a few locations

Record breaking May minimum

The highest May temperature recorded for 58 years

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Now the warmest 27th of October on record, one of the warmest October on records, one of warmest September/Octobers combinations on record.

Edited by Mr_Data

Posted
Now the warmest 27th of October on record, one of the warmest October on records, one of warmest September/Octobers combinations on record.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

2005 was like 1995 in that May showed a large temperature range here, from below zero to above 25.

The well above average October and cold start to March are other parallels. Shame July and August weren't the same.

Regarding "years ending in..." the one that sticks out to me is that years ending in 4 have a disproportionate number of mild Decembers.

Posted

1995 was a remarkable year not only did it have the warmest August on record.

It had the warmest July/August combination on record

It had the warmest July/August/September triple combination on record

It had the warmest August/September/October triple combination on record.

That August/September/October 1995 triple combination had a CET average of 15.27

Now the August/September/October 2005 period has a CET average of about 14.7 at the moment, pretty high.

Aug 16.2 Sep 15.2 Oct 12.6 <------going off Phil Eden's figures.

Posted
1995 was a remarkable year not only did it have the warmest August on record.

It had the warmest July/August combination on record

It had the warmest July/August/September triple combination on record

It had the warmest August/September/October triple combination on record.

That August/September/October 1995 triple combination had a CET average of 15.27

Now the August/September/October 2005 period  has a CET average of about 14.7 at the moment, pretty high.

Aug 16.2  Sep 15.2  Oct 12.6 <------going off Phil Eden's figures.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi Mr Data,

You don't by any chance know a CET figure for the period 10 May- 9 June 1995 (give a take a day or two)? I just wonder if that period was actually colder than May 1996. Though dry it had frost, cool days and even snow on May 17th here.

Posted
Hi Mr Data,

I just wonder if that period was actually colder than May 1996. Though dry it had frost, cool days and even snow on May 17th here.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't have exact figures but I suspect it wasn't despite the hot spell during early June 1996

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

I can only be guessing here, but let's suppose the following figures for an experiment:

May 1995 had a CET of 11.6, so if you take away the warmth of the 1st-9th (about 14C) this leaves a 10th-31st figure of approximately 11C- a figure which probably wouldn't be changed much by the very cool first third of June 1995.

May 1996 had a CET of 9.1, so extrapolating a little, I guess that the 10th-31st would have averaged around 10.0C. Adding in an average of about 15C for the first nine days of June 1996, we get an average of 11.5.

Actually, it must be pretty close between the two. There was, after all, only one warm spell in 1995 during this period (around 22-28 May with southerlies) while mid May 1995 had more widespread snow than at any point during May 1996.

2005 has seen a good share of notable statistical events, but for me it hasn't been anything like as memorable a year as 1995 was. Sunshine, in particular, has been a lot lower almost everywhere, with March (much of E England) August (N Scotland) and provisionally October (NE England) having less than half of the respective 1995 totals.

Posted
I can only be guessing here, but let's suppose the following figures for an experiment:

May 1995 had a CET of 11.6, so if you take away the warmth of the 1st-9th (about 14C) this leaves a 10th-31st figure of approximately 11C- a figure which probably wouldn't be changed much by the very cool first third of June 1995.

May 1996 had a CET of 9.1, so extrapolating a little, I guess that the 10th-31st would have averaged around 10.0C.  Adding in an average of about 15C for the first nine days of June 1996, we get an average of 11.5.

Actually, it must be pretty close between the two.  There was, after all, only one warm spell in 1995 during this period (around 22-28 May with southerlies) while mid May 1995 had more widespread snow than at any point during May 1996.

2005 has seen a good share of notable statistical events, but for me it hasn't been anything like as memorable a year as 1995 was.  Sunshine, in particular, has been a lot lower almost everywhere, with March (much of E England) August (N Scotland) and provisionally October (NE England) having less than half of the respective 1995 totals.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I've just done it manually from Wunderground (pre-1996 you have to do it that way, type in the date in the address, but it gives it to the nearest .1) for Shawbury for May 10-June 9 1995 I make the mean 10.71C. This is substantially higher than the month May 1996 (8.75C) but is however lower than May 2005 (11.15C).

However the 10-day period May 10-19 1995 had a mean of a very chilly 7.025C.

Posted

can anyone give us a similar year where the weather of the year up till today roughly matched ours for this year. and a similar decade. It would give us an idea of the most likely scenarios for winter this year.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
Posted · Hidden by MP-R, February 9, 2012 - No reason given
Hidden by MP-R, February 9, 2012 - No reason given

In July 1995 there was some very weird weather!

The 1st was brass monkeys with a cold northerly.

The second week was dull and wet but very warm. It was 28C in London while it was raining like mad.

The second half of the month was very warm with 31C recorded many times. There were also three thunderstorms in six days when I was on a holiday in Cornwall.

In February 2005

The start of the month heralded 15C on the 1st but the longest cold spell since December 1999 in the last two weeks.

In May 2005

One of the sunniest I have recorded but also one of the wettest thanks to three days of thunderstorms. If I lived an extra 5 miles inland I would have a rainfall amount of 53mm not 91mm! Also very cold mid-month but very warm on the 1st and very hot in from the 27th onwards.

In July 2005

Hail and lightning to start the month and very cool but 32C on the 12th! Tornado in Birmingham!!! and other tuba formations around the country - most notably Staffordshire.

September 2005

A warmer month than average with 27.5C on the 3rd and 25.4C on the 13th. 23.0C on the 22nd and 19C on the 30th. Two long dry periods but the heaviest thunderstorm since 27th May 1999 with 23mm recorded in 60mins! :) no flood though.

Lots of interesting contrasts. That's why I love Britain's weather. It's why I like the weather. October 2005 seems to be one of the warmest on record too.

Posted
can anyone give us a similar year where the weather of the year up till today roughly matched ours for this year. and a similar decade. It would give us an idea of the most likely scenarios for winter this year.

I emphasise "roughly": 1994. Mild, unexciting, mostly westerly January and early February. Then turned easterly for a while in mid/late Feb however here the 1994 Feb easterly was cold, this year's wasn't. (By "cold" I mean below freezing during day as well as night, with the snow that fell sticking for more than a few hours) This year's did however continue into early March. April and May very unremarkeable in both years. June was mainly warm and sunny both times, though both had cool first weeks and thunder towards the end. July 1994 hot, sunny and mostly dry, 2005 same for mid-month but mediocre at the beginning and dire at the end. August- both years rather disappointing. However 2005 was drier and sunnier than 1994 which was more dull and showery.

September: here is the one month that was diffferent. 1994 cool, cloudy and wet; a very poor month: 2005 drier, sunny and often on the warm side. October: mostly similar weather except that 1994 had noticeably cooler nights.

1994-5 winter: Ludicrously mild November, cloudy too but not very wet. December: first 3 weeks as for November, then a few days of frosty weather before the heavens opened on Christmas Eve. They closed in the last week of February, although it snowed a little at New Year. Early March was cold with a decent snowfall on 2nd-3rd, and a light one on 7th. Then it turned mostly warm, sunny and dry for a month, save a 24-hour cold snap in late March.

• 3 weeks later...
Posted

2nd warmest October on record, warmest September/October combination on record.

Seem to be months with distinct halves is the theme of 2005.

Feb 2005

First half: mostly mild

Second half: Cold

March 2005

First half: Cold

Second half: Exceptional mild

June 2005:

First half: Fairly cool mostly(coolest for 10 years according to Trevor Harley)

Second half: Very warm

Less distinct but October 2005

First half: warm

Second half: exceptionally warm

Second half of October 2005 was warmer than the first half.

November 2005

First half: very mild

Second half: Cold?

Edited by Mr_Data

• 2 weeks later...
Posted
November 2005

First half: very mild

Second half: Cold?

Well the second half of November was cold.

A fairly remarkable Autumn it has to be said.

Warmest September/October on record, 2nd warmest October on record.

Probably the sunniest November on record, possibly November sunnier than October for England and Wales, which has never happened in recorded history as far as I'm aware.

• 3 weeks later...
Posted

Well it was the sunniest November on record for England and Wales and for the first time in recorded history for England and Wales, the sunshine total was sunnier than October.

Possibilty of the sunniest November-December period on record.

Feb 2005

First half: mostly mild

Second half: Coldest since 1986

March 2005

First half: Coldest since 1996

Second half: Warmest since 1938

June 2005:

First half: The coolest since 1995 with 2001

Second half: Warmest since 1976

Less distinct but October 2005

First half: warm

Second half: exceptionally warm

Second half of October 2005 was warmer than the first half.

November 2005

First half: Mildest since 1994

Second half: Coldest since 1993

Is 2005 going to go out with a bang? :D:D

• 2 months later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

In 1995, Bristol had 17 consecutive days with temperatures above an average of 25C!

• 2 months later...
Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

January - 5th warmest in 100 years

February - coolest since 2003

March - warmest since 2003

April - coolest since 2001

May - coolest since 1996

June - 5th warmest in 100 years

July - warmest since 2003

August - coolest since 1999

September - wamest since 1999

October - 2nd warmest on record

November - joint coolest since 1996

December - coolest since 2001

• 5 years later...
Posted

i actually thought august 2005 was fairly good in the west midlands, particularly the more mid parts by wednesbury/walsall and halesowen area. i remember many warm sunny days during that month, though it wasnt a heat breaker by no means, temps were mainly around 21 mostly, with about 10days of rain. the midlands picked up atotal of about 210hours of sun as a whole, and id say that seemed about right for where i live also. infact, august 2005 was actually sunnier than august 2003. and we havent had a bearable august since. 06 was awful, 07 was cold, 08-11 were pure misery and you'd of hardly noticed had the sun been shot out of the solar system in any of those months!

interesting stats about years ending in 5 though.

Yes summer 2005 was a very good one, personally I would class it as the best summer since 1995. It didn't produce the intense heat of aug 03 or jul 06, but it did see lots of sunny very warm weather with some good thunderstorms at times.

Posted

To be fair the second half of June was the hottest since 1976 and the first half of July was the hottest since 1995 (think it just beat 2003) and we were also just 0.4C off the hottest May temperature on record.

Summer 2005 seemed to have a very amplified jet stream but the wavelengths changed resulting in a hot Mid-June to Mid-July period followed by the coolest period of the summer which was mid-July to mid-August.

It has however begun a run of poor Augusts which have not been broken.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Like Sun-Worshipping Reverend I didn't think August 2005 was too bad- though it was a different story in northern Scotland where sunshine was much below average. Most parts of England and Wales had a sunny month with warm days and cool nights, and a rather cool first half offset by a fairly warm second half, and then the thunderstorms on the 31st August. I would have rated 2005 as a great summer had it not been for the persistently cool cloudy last third of July.

It certainly does seem that years ending in "5" have tended to produce more than their fair share of noteworthy weather events, though I won't be surprised if 2015 bucks the trend- such trends often end abruptly without warning in the world of meteorology!

Posted

To be fair the second half of June was the hottest since 1976 and the first half of July was the hottest since 1995 (think it just beat 2003) and we were also just 0.4C off the hottest May temperature on record.

If you're referring to 2005, you're completely wrong SB;

June 2005 had the coldest first half since 1995 but the warmest second half since 1976

May was the coldest since 1996

Posted

Re. "hottest May temperature on record" he probably meant in terms of the absolute UK maximum- London reached 31C on the 27th May 2005 while, in contrast, Edinburgh only reached 10C.

• 9 years later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters and cool summers.

Just found this old thread by accident. 2015 was no exception to the rule with the utterly remarkabke, bafflinf & disturbing warmth of Nov./Dec. 2015. The flooding of Dec. 5th tied to it. One of the sunniest Aprils on record, then extreme heat on the Jul. 1 only to be followed by an exceptionally cool second-half with the coldest end to July since 1920. Then the coldest September for 22 years, followed by a remarkably warm end to October which leads into the aforementioned... What will 2025 bring? Long way off yet, models struggling with the second half of June as it is! 

Spoiler
Spoiler

• Like 1