Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Lets Get The Ball Rolling !!!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Mixed winters and springs, thundery summers and meditteranean autumns

B) A challenging last few weather weeks for gardeners!

A lack of decent rain, some strong winds and sharp night frots in May have all kept any gardeners on their toes.

For the first time ever, I saw frost damage on Privet last month. Hydrangeas, despite last year's flower heads left on, were also battered by brutal late spring frosts.

At the end of May, a few trees were reported down in NE England, due to high winds gusting over 60 mph.

And now, while many of us are watering our gardens - those in the south-east of England face possible hosepipe bans, as resevoirs reach record low levels not seen since 1976.

But on a brighter note, enjoy the joys of the June garden....and I look forward to reading a lot of great posts here! :):):)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

Indeed, I doubt the hosepipe ban will affect gardens though.

Posted

Possible hosepipe bans - I already have a hosepipe ban here!! There really has been very little rain in this neck of the woods, the grass is beginning to look a bit brown already in places.

Posted

We've got a hosepipe ban here (except from 7-11pm) but it's because they are rebuilding the treatment plant, not because of the lack of rain, it's been nice to have a week of dry weather for a change!.

We havn't had much in the way of cold nights, no frost, but I have only just put hanging baskets outside in the sun having been in the greenhouse to get going.

Tomatoes are doing well but as usual all the seeds came up and I have more than I can cope with and none of the neighbours seem to want any for a pot or grow-bag.

The grass keeps growing though, along with the daisies, so tomorrow's task is to get the the dogs out and go mowing again (one man and his dog, but I have two !).

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

Today we have seen a welcome dose of rain.

As far as plants are concerned, I find that a lengthy dry spell followed by a short sharp shower(s) really kicks off some rapid growth. It's pretty much the same as humans quenching our thirst when we are very thirsty. So don't worry too much about the lack of rain for now, just get a normal watering can and use household water (from the kitchen) to water your garden.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy
Today we have seen a welcome dose of rain.

As far as plants are concerned, I find that a lengthy dry spell followed by a short sharp shower(s) really kicks off some rapid growth. It's pretty much the same as humans quenching our thirst when we are very thirsty. So don't worry too much about the lack of rain for now, just get a normal watering can and use household water (from the kitchen) to water your garden.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You've used up your water butt already??? If using tap water let it de-gas first. The mild bleach we drink plays hell with the bacteria needed for the plants to take up minerals (symbiotic relationship) so if you let the chlorine evap. off they'll be a lot happier.

• 2 weeks later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Mixed winters and springs, thundery summers and meditteranean autumns
Indeed, I doubt the hosepipe ban will affect gardens though.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, I maintain some large gardens in my job - with some borders around 150 feet from the house. Imagine taking buckets and cans of water up there in a severe drought! :D

Posted

Hi Paul.. well I have to carry buckets of

water down stairs to my patio :blink:

To water my pot plants :lol:

Takes ages but keeps me fit :D

It never seems to rain enough these days

Even on Tyneside :lol:

Posted
Hi Paul.. well I have to carry buckets of

water down stairs to my patio :rolleyes:

To water my pot plants :o

Takes ages but keeps me fit :D

It never seems to rain enough these days

Even on Tyneside :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Cheers Don,

It's been so---ohhh dry this year. Yesterday's storms were well welcome, but I fear the next warm dry spell will soon dry everything out once again! :o :) B) Nevertheless, I'd kill to see another 76' summer. B)

Posted
Cheers Don,

It's been so---ohhh dry this year. Yesterday's storms were well welcome, but I fear the next warm dry spell will soon dry everything out once again! :o   :)   :o   Nevertheless, I'd kill to see another 76' summer. :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi Paul :rolleyes:

Its very dry in the north east which is very strange B)

The lawns and gardens are all a bit parched!

and with next week looking on the sunny and

warm side! maybe another 76 may be on the cards :D

as its early doors in the summer of 2005 B)

Regards Don

Posted
Hi Paul :rolleyes:

Its very  dry    in the north east which is very strange B)

The lawns and gardens are all a bit parched!

and with next week looking on the sunny and

warm side! maybe another 76 may be on the cards :o

as its early doors in the summer of 2005 :)

Regards Don

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi Don, our garden was persistantly parched for weeks, apart from a rare splash of rain. But yesterday and last night must have seen possibly well over half an inch of rain - and the grass is looking really green for the first time in ages!

Regards, Paul.....nuff said!!!!

Posted

My garden has some fantastic roses at the moment - they seem to be enjoying the weather!

And our runner beans are growing well! :)