Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

BBC Weather Forecasts and Graphics Discussion

J10

Posted
Well I refer back to my previous mail where we were told that the graphics could do anything.Well either they can't or it's pure stubbornness by the BBC.

Thing is , the main reason given for the change was that they wanted to make the weather easier to understand - the green blobs quite clearly do not portay a thunderstorm risk which quite clearly is one of the most dangerous of weather phenomenon.

I take your point about them listening and making changes, but apart from a  few cosmetics here and there the changes amount to diddly squat in practise and the whole exercise  is still a top class bodge up :rolleyes:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

hi

Come off it, there is a distinct improvement, and that, or some of it, has to be put down to comments and complaints flooding into the BBC, from this site, and others, letters etc. But, improvement there has been, so give credit where its due. My thanks to MB for the effort she has obviously put in on our behalf. We are still not totally happy, the contructive posts about the main problems are there for you to see in this thread. But, yes, you are entitled to your comments the same as anyone else, but you do no justice to the problem by your bland statement:-

'but apart from a few cosmetics here and there the changes amount to diddly squat in practise and the whole exercise is still a top class bodge up'

regards

John

Edited by johnholmes

Posted

The local forecasts which follow our local news bulletins, work much better for me. They can zoom in better and show more local detail. The new graphics are better than a symbol covering too wide an area, but I still want too see the wind arrows back in force, when the autumn gales arrive.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Hot Summer days

Todays countryfile forecast was the best forecast i've seen with the new graphics so far, the pressure charts with moving isobars/fronts and rainfall were great to see and the use of the wind charts during the forecast were useful, the forecast length for CF needs to be increased from 2:45-3:00 to 3:30-4:00.

Posted
hi

Have posted this in the Countryfile thread but it will not hurt for it to be given an airing here.

Essentially for MB, I'm impressed today, but please read my general comments below please?

hi

Just watched my first Countryfile forecast since those new graphics came on. This was with Penny Tranter.

Overall, I was impressed, but MB please note, why oh why is such a good presentation ruined by the short time given??

Apart from that complaint it was well presented, good use of all the graphics, including 'moving' surface charts with fronts and isobars for most days to set the scene, Then an explanation using the graphics, well done BBC. Just spoilt a little at the end as she showed rain moving in on Friday for all parts but did not show the surface chart before hand. No doubt the time problem.

Really BBC why not take on board that a job worth doing is worth doing well. You are ruining the forecasters' ability to give a good and clear presentation by chopping, at most, 45 secs off ALL the TV weather broadcasts. Very very sad.

regards

John

will post this in the graphics bit also, PLEASE MB TRY and do something with the greedy producers and their ridiculous mis-use of trailers beofre and after weather forecasts  - not on Countryfile but time is still lost with this.

regards

John

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi John,

I read your comments and note your frustrations along with the others. I will pass them on in the duty log tomorrow.

However, in the mean time you could try writing with your 'constructive concerns' ;) to the programmes editor, the address is: countryfile@bbc.co.uk. The team responsible for the programme should then write back to you. Do this rather than write to BBC information.

Here is the link to the CF website there is a click link there

http://www.bbc.co.uk/nature/environment/pr...es/countryfile/

Please make valid reasons as to why you think more time should be given to the weather and as to why 3 minutes is not acceptable now.

If you want change within the BBC, justification is important.

MB

Edited by Microburst

Posted

hi MB

Thank you very much for that I shall sit down this evening and do just that.

regards

John

Posted
The fronts actually moved on the Countryfile forecast! ;)

What has happened to the pollen and sunshine index on BBC forecasts? Is it me or you rarely hear  them mentioned these days?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The fronts have been animating on the CF forecast for the past month. The pollen and the sun indeces are shown at the beginning of the forecasts on the summary when levels are of concern.

MB

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Sun index's are important but who decides when they're of concern. If you're light skinned you may burn when they decide that the levels aren't high enough. Best really they always shown as the end user can decide when to cover up.

Pollen counts I'm not so concerned about as you only have to be allergic to one type of pollen and have sneezing fits or sore eyes. I tend find I suffer regardless whether the level is high or not. Luckily not as bad as I used too and it's mainly sneezing fits I have now. However perhaps again they should them for the same reason as the sun index.

Posted
The fronts have been animating on the CF forecast for the past month. The pollen and the sun indeces are shown at the beginning of the forecasts on the summary when levels are of concern.

MB

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The low and highs have been animated on previous Countryfiles but its the first I've see the fronts actually animated.

Apparently it was the worst June on record for hay fever sufferers but you wouldn't have guessed it with the lack of pollen counts on the BBC national forecasts

Posted
Both Pollen Count and Sun Index are used on local forecasts regularly, another example of the regional forecasts being better.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't think the local forecasts on London are any better really - they only use the basic graphics!

Posted

I think we do need more dedicated time for the weather and countryfile has been the weekly home for detailed forecasts for quite a while and it should remain that way. We need forecasts which can relay lots of information graphically, without time restraints. That way we get forecasts that aren't rushed and forecasts which the team down in London find easier to do.

As time goes on, the graphics should be taken advantage off.

Getting underneath the clouds in parts of the country to show thunderstorm strikes from a side on view over a part of the country. Even projected tornadoes/waterspouts. The severity which can be seen by the thickness of strikes and the amount of strikes.

Also, maritime forecasts should be brought into some sort of forecast be it early in the morning. While tide graphics should only be used for this part of the forecast, showing waves, and the severity of these along with beaufort scale numbers and descriptions for parts of the country. On local forecasts even, here we could zoom into Blackpool and show a tide run for the next 24 hours showing the tide coming in and out.

Instead of people having to rely on tide forecasts from paid sources, information on television from some of the excellent tide and sea resources on the bbc weather website, along with the other things like gardening in some indepth forecast would be using the technology you have in an impressive way.

You could even predict the clouds that people will see, how impressive it would be to show CB's developing as they move across parts of the country.

The biggest annoyance I have is the local weather maps on the website, I click on north west, and there are no symbols which represent me. There is more information for Cumbria, Scotland, Yorkshire and the North East. The maps are too far zoomed out, not giving a detailed forecast.

Posted
hi

Come off it, there is a distinct improvement, and that, or some of it, has to be put down to comments and complaints flooding into the BBC, from this site, and others, letters etc. But, improvement there has been, so give credit where its due. My thanks to MB for the effort she has obviously put in on our behalf. We are still not totally happy, the contructive posts about the main problems are there for you to see in this thread. But, yes, you are entitled to your comments the same as anyone else, but you do no justice to the problem by your bland statement:-

'but apart from a  few cosmetics here and there the changes amount to diddly squat in practise and the whole exercise  is still a top class bodge up'

regards

John

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well John I think that you are simply just getting used to it, that is all.

Apart from wind arrows ( sometimes) and a slight retilt, what exactly has changed ? (And I'm talking about the daily forecasts here.)

I think my statement on the situation sums the situation up quite well.I don't think it is bland , in fact it is quite descriptive. Definitely not staid and boring.Sorry if this disenfranchises you. ;) . I have fed my constructive feedback to the BBC. If things are really better in three months time then I'll start the applause.But as it stands it's definitely a balls-up.

Posted

Mr Sleet

We will have to disagree on this. I'm certainly no 'pushover' in this instance. I've campaigned for years, both before and since I left the Met Office to get the time slot back to 3 mins + not less than. That is the main problem whatever the forecaster has available to try and illustrate the forecast.

The graphics is not as you describe it and it is slowly improving. I don't deny there are still areas for improvement which is why I keep making constructive comments not sweeping negative remarks. Have you written to Countryfile as MB suggested? I am in the process of doing that. Every little helps.

regards

John

Posted
Mr Sleet

We will have to disagree on this. I'm certainly no 'pushover' in this instance. I've campaigned for years, both before and since I left the Met Office to get the time slot back to 3 mins + not less than. That is the main problem whatever the forecaster has available to try and illustrate the forecast.

The graphics is not as you describe it and it is slowly improving. I don't deny there are still areas for improvement which is why I keep making constructive comments not sweeping negative remarks. Have you written to Countryfile as MB suggested?  I am in the process of doing that. Every little helps.

regards

John

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

So where do you think exactly the graphics/forecast has improved?

-winds arrows ( sometimes)

-slight retilt

I'm open to suggestions.I really cannot see any major improvements.Really.

John, I can only comment on what I see.I have listed my constuctive comments to the BBC but the forecast is still woeful.

Thank God for sites like this :D

Edited by Mr Sleet

Posted

like I said I think we just have to agree to disagree.

I'm not satisfied and will keep on trying. Again to go on about the same thing. The main problem is the time allocation.

regards

John

I'm more with you JH, the graphics have improved and to be honest they weren't bad immediately after the changeover, there are impressive now in IMO.

Nearly every forecast lately on BBC Wales has had wind arrows, UV Levels, and the regional forecast is considerably better then with the old graphics.

Posted
I'm more with you JH, the graphics have improved and to be honest they weren't bad immediately after the changeover, there are impressive now in IMO.

Nearly every forecast lately on BBC Wales has had wind arrows, UV Levels, and the regional forecast is considerably better then with the old graphics.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Fair enough, but all you quote are wind arrows and UV levels ( obvious anyway at this time of year , surely).Apart from the wind arrows , very little has changed from day one.

I fear that what is happening is that you are getting used to it , as the memory of the old style fades.This is exactly what the BBC are counting on.

I do agree with JH though that the time allowed is derisory and not helping a broader look at the situation.

Posted

I wish they'd just keep the time on breakfast tele to a fixed spot. Yesterday it was at 6.40 today at 6.47. Very annoying as it often wanders past 6.50 and I have to miss it. The first local forecast is after the hour which is no good either.

Even worse they were wasting time with reality TV which isn't important.

Posted
I wish they'd just keep the time on breakfast tele to a fixed spot. Yesterday it was at 6.40 today at 6.47. Very annoying as it often wanders past 6.50 and I have to miss it. The first local forecast is after the hour which is no good either.

Even worse they were wasting time with reality TV which isn't important.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Valid point - I have noted this in the duty log for you today, which goes to the management and will e mail the editor of BBC Breakfast for you.

MB

Posted
Valid point - I have noted this in the duty log for you today, which goes to the management and will e mail the editor of BBC Breakfast for you.

MB

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

OK I have asked for a BBC policy update on the timings allocated for weather forecasts for you John and others. I will report back when I have news!

Incidentally we have just received an update fax on the storms forecast for tonight from the MO, again things are looking interesting :)

MB

Posted
OK I have asked for a BBC policy update on the timings allocated for weather forecasts for you John and others. I will report back when I have news!

Incidentally we have just received an update fax on the storms forecast for tonight from the MO, again things are looking interesting :)

MB

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks Microburst for your help you're doing an excellant job.

Posted

yes, thank you MB, will await the reply

regards

John