Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Help Needed Re:conifers!

Guest *Ice*

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme
I's love to give advice, but I hate conifers, they are one of the more boring species in my opinion

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have to disagree Stephen. I fear the ubiquitous Leylandii has given the conifer world a bad name.

Look at the cathedral like stature of a mature Pseudotsuga, Wellingtonia or Sequoia; the primeval texture of the Cryptomerias; the feathery texture of a Metasequoia, all would rival any non-coniferous tree. Even the Leylandii has it's place if grown as a single specimen rather than a hedge.

I agree that Leylandii hedges are boring, almost rivalling Privet. Much better to use Thuja, or Taxus (Yew). Some of the Junipers are excellent for hedges and there are many Cupressus species which are much more interesting than Leylandii.

T.M

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

I have seen most conifers, of course I can understadn why people might like them!

Guest Mrs murphymoo

Just to add my bit - it sounds to me like they have dried out at some stage and probably wont recover - but not to compound the damage, when you water them, make sure you water the plants when the sun is not shining on them - as water + sun on leaves will scorch them terribly.

But I think TBH they sound like they have had it B) Best to pull them up and start again - I just bought a lovely 'butterfly' lavendar and it looks lovely in a pot - and the bumble bees love it :o

Posted

Most replie's seem to have covered the reasons why your conifers are dying, I would try and repot them with fresh soil and a larger pot . Sometimes if you cut them to close to the wood whe triming the hedge, or cut them to late in the season then this also can cause die back.