Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Day Of Tornados

Posted

Hi all

As you may know I was putting together news articles of the events of the 28th July 2005 and compiling them as a PDF file, basically a big digital scrap book.

And there are two first hand accounts include, thanks to forum members.

I hope you all enjoy, I know it does not have every news story and photo, and I know there is video footage that I cant add but I hope I have captured the story.

http://www.netweatherradar.co.uk/uktornado2807.pdf

Posted

I must also thank Paul for letting me use Net Weather Radar and satellite images, and for giving me the opportunity and space to post this up.

The PDF is 14.8 MG in size so is not dialup friendly although before I back saved it, it was just over 25 MB.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Tornadoey

If you are wanting more info about flooding etc from the 28th, this is a news article which briefly mentions the problems caused in Scarborough by the rains. We had a particularly nasty storm come through at about 9:45pm which lasted for about half an hour and turned some of our roads into rivers. 2 of the 3 routes leading away from my house were impassable for a while

Link:

http://www.scarboroughtoday.co.uk/ViewArti...ticleID=1101081

Posted

P.K. kindly PM’ed this to me this message after he posted a link to the above file on the Torro forum.

Hi Adi,

Hope you don't mind but I posted a link to your file on TORRO, crediting you of course, given the scale of the investigation we are doing.

I've been asked to pass this on to you from Mark Humpage who is one of the TORRO Executives.

"That is an AMAZING bit of work. It must have taken ages to produce and Adi Fiddler desrves major respect and credit here. I shall spend many hours reading this. I do not use NET Weather but could you please pass on massive thanks and credit for producing this from me personally and on behalf of TORRO. This dedication is the sort we are looking for within TORRO and he should be invited to join TORRO."

P.K.

Thanks P.K. :blink:

Posted

Just want to say well done to you Adi that is superb and thanks for the hard work you put in.

The tornado outbreak has taught me two lessons the first being I must buy a digital camera and the second being make sure the battery is charged on Video camera because I would of loved to have captured the speed of rotation within the tornado.

A valuable lesson for all members because you just never know when one might strike!!

Edited by THE EYE IN THE SKY

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Mixed winters and springs, thundery summers and meditteranean autumns

I posted this on the BBC board a few minutes ago, and thought I'd post it here too.

More on the tornado damage :

Earlier today, I was working in Moseley, and during lunch I had the oppurtunity to have a cycle ride around areas affected by last Thursday's tornado.

I headed first to Kings Heath, and saw little damage on the 'High Street' itself, but was saddened to see the churchyard at the end of the road. One mature tree had been uprooted, and another had had its main branch torn off completely.

I then travelled through residential areas to the east of Moseley village, and noticed some very severe damage to mature trees, and some house roof damage.

Many roads were closed for tree cutting and property repairs. The damage was much worse and much more widespread as I cycled into Sparkbrook. Many houses were without roofs, many more with missing tiles. Some trees had evidently been torn out of the ground and thrown around, or uprooted or split in half.

Overall the damage I saw can't be described in words, and was a near tearful experience. It must have been an extremely frightening experience for all involved, and my heart really goes out to those affected. <_<

Posted

I will echo everyones thoughts here - Well done Adi for collating this PDF together.

• 3 weeks later...
Posted
  • Location: Sth Staffs/Shrops 105m/345' & NW Snowdonia 219m/719'
  • Location: Sth Staffs/Shrops 105m/345' & NW Snowdonia 219m/719'

I only caught the last 5 minutes of this programme "Inside Out" on BBC1 last night (W Midlands region). I doubt if it will be repeated unfortunately.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/insideout/westmidland.../week_one.shtml

Birmingham tornado

A tornado which recently struck at the heart of Birmingham surprised and terrified residents in the city.

Terrifying tornado - the aftermath of the Birmingham hit

Ferocious winds picked up cars, tore down trees and ripped roofs apart, causing several injuries and millions of pounds worth of damage.

But one man who has studied tornadoes for more than 10 years believes the city got off lightly, and says the worst is still to come.

Weather presenter Shefali Oza caught up with storm chaser Mark Humpage to find out more – and met a 92-year-old Birmingham woman who has seen it all before.

Inside Out West Midlands is on Monday September 5 at 19.30 on BBC One.

Is Mark Humpage one of our members or a Torro guy I wonder?

Posted

As far as I know Mark isn't signed up here. That filming was from the 30th of August if I remember right, just over a month after our initial site investigation which took place over three days. I think that was the first time Mark had been to Birmingham following the tornado and I know he was shocked at the damage he saw even a month on. I haven't seen the programme yet (Wrong region) but I should get to see it soon. :)

Posted
Im only a noob to the site, but i would like to say thankyou to Adi for the time and effort put into the report on the day of the tornados.

thanks south_holland

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes I agree - well done Adi for gathering this information.