Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Cat 5 Hurricane Katrina

Posted

Well 2nd Eyes have been seen on Supertyphoons in the Pacific so I see no reason why they couldnt occur briefly on a Hurricane in the Atlantic.

They represent storms of severe magnitude or storms with plenty of power in them, so this 2nd eye possibly appearing means that Katrina is likely to be pretty "big" on landfall in terms of windspeed and damage.

Posted

Well 2nd Eyes have been seen on Supertyphoons in the Pacific so I see no reason why they couldnt occur briefly on a Hurricane in the Atlantic.

They represent storms of severe magnitude or storms with plenty of power in them, so this 2nd eye possibly appearing means that Katrina is likely to be pretty "big" on landfall in terms of windspeed and damage.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

[/quote

with such rotational strength around the original eye, i dont see how a second eye could form?

Posted

The eye is basically just a region of warm moist air thats sucked upwards and then cools as it reaches the top of the storm, one eye can form then due to disturbance from convection within the storm a part can "break off" but still be rotating with the storm, so in effect you have 2 eyes but rotating around each other which is also rotating around the centre of the storm if you see what I mean.

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Yes, this is a devastating storm which will probibly make Hurricane Ivan look like a baby, i expect Hurricane Katrina to make landfall in western Texas as a moderate category five hurricane, it is interesting that although we have only had four hurricanes this season, three have them will of been major hurricanes, with two of them possibly category fives.

What is the record for the amount of category five hurricanes forming in a single season as i think this record could be broken?????????????????????????????

Posted
The eye is basically just a region of warm moist air thats sucked upwards and then cools as it reaches the top of the storm, one eye can form then due to disturbance from convection within the storm a part can "break off" but still be rotating with the storm, so in effect you have 2 eyes but rotating around each other which is also rotating around the centre of the storm if you see what I mean.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

cheers for clearing that up rob. i reckon katrina is going to be a devasting storm. god help those people left on the gulf coast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Squall Lines, Storm Force Winds & Extreme Weather!
Yes, this is a devastating storm which will probibly make Hurricane Ivan look like a baby, i expect Hurricane Katrina to make landfall in western Texas as a moderate category five hurricane, it is interesting that although we have only had four hurricanes this season, three have them will of been major hurricanes, with two of them possibly category fives.

What is the record for the amount of category five hurricanes forming in a single season as i think this record could be broken?????????????????????????????

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree summer blizzard, this could be another record broken. 2 category five hurricanes forming in a single season!! :D

Posted

No worries, however it looks like the 2nd eye collapsed before it could develop into anything more significant on Satellite, Hurricane also looks to have jumped NW on the 20.15-21.15 loop, so it could now be turning NW gradually and earlier than expected just after its started to "feed" again.

Posted
No worries, however it looks like the 2nd eye collapsed before it could develop into anything more significant on Satellite, Hurricane also looks to have jumped NW on the 20.15-21.15 loop, so it could now be turning NW gradually and earlier than expected just after its started to "feed" again.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

hi rob, i am familier with the noaa site but is there any more up to date means of seeing kat's progress? cheers

Posted

Heres the latest Loop I was mentioning.

http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/PS/TROP/DATA/RT/gmex-vis-loop.html

Also I use a site called Hurricanecity.com which has the latest Recon reports, Live streaming media sources and a Hurricane chatroom to keep up-to date on the latest info, hope this helps.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunder, strong winds

Also I use a site called Hurricanecity.com which has the latest Recon reports, Live streaming media sources and a Hurricane chatroom to keep up-to date on the latest info, hope this helps.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi Rob,

I know I didn't ask the question, but thanks for the website, it's very good indeed and will be added to my favorites. :D

Posted

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

thanks for that rob. katrina looks like some beast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Snow

Whats a Concentric eyewall?

Kain

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Snow

Ahh thanks.

Kain

Posted

Awesome power packed hurricane already, Not sure about it's landfall now, 90% sure to stick with my initial plans, Pensacola - Mobile getting it full bore, I think new Orleans will get the lesser powered side of the eye-wall.

Posted
Awesome power packed hurricane already, Not sure about it's landfall now, 90% sure to stick with my initial plans, Pensacola - Mobile getting it full bore, I think new Orleans will get the lesser powered side of the eye-wall.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

strikes me its nigh on impossible to guage this ones landfall, although i reckon new orleans will be in the firing line. just a gut feeling

Posted
Know what you mean, it's just the upper level winds i'm looking closer at, I really think she'll swing alot more than expected...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

i dont think she'll crash back into florida though

Posted
Louisiana without a doubt, but I fear it has a trick up it's sleeve, just clipping the extreme west pan handle area.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

if it does hit new orleans it'll be a disaster