Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storm Reports 31st August 05

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Had a mixed afternoon. After the shower around 2 - it became sunny, hot and humid. It then clouded over again with faint rolls of thunder at about 4 - there was intense thunder and lightning before a long, moderate shower between 4.30 and 5.30. I filmed some pretty good lightning and fast moving clouds and the thunder kept on going every five minutes. It is now sunny, but will that last???

Posted

A wild thunderstorm here, lots of lightning, heavy rain, TV reception being affected - quite spectacular. It's just moved off. It's still very humid though.

Posted
Hi Rob and everyone else, this is my first post, I don't know if I am doing this right however, just to let you know I am in Lancs too and seen a fine but short storm.  Good lightening and loud thunder!!!  How great it is to be able to share this with other weather enthusiasts, what a great site.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Welcome to the site, your first post was just right.

Nothing else here now, all eyes on Scotland now for tonight.

Posted

Well that was the best storm i've seen here for a few years,it lasted a good hour with almost constant thunder and lightning.

Great view of the cloud responsible to my north-east,still with some lightning visible.

Posted

most awsome storm just left us now heading North from Coventry, try as I did, no pictures have come out of it. Lasted for 40 minutes.

Posted

We've had an hour of a very violent thunderstorm here in Durham...However, most of the flashes were to the East coast because this area's microclimate always diverts it.

I counted flashes nearby (usually 4-13 miles away) at countless rates per minute.

East coast is getting an absolute battering. This is the best thunderstorm i have seen here for a year.

And as far as the coast is concerned...god knows how intense it must be there!

Edited by PersianPaladin

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms.
;) Lots of CG's here in Swindon accompanied with some very heavy rain.Caught an excellent flash on my camera phone! :huh: ..........seems to dying down a bit now.

Posted

Severe Thunderstorm

I do not know the official definition of a severe thunderstorm but between 18.00 - 18.45 I am sure that is what I witnessed (see below).

Cell 1. First thunder was first heard booming to the SW at 16.25. This cell moved quickly NNE with a few CG strikes visible and also a few IC/CC flashes. Not regular lightning though.

Cell 2. As the first cell was clearing the 2nd moved in from the SW (towards Frome) with jet black sky and frequent thunder. It was most noticable at 17.30 with heavy rain and a terrifically loud crack overhead as a bolt came down nearby. This took out the electricity :huh: !! I went upstairs to watch and between 17.30 - 17.50 there were at least 5 lightning strikes per minute of CG/CC/IC and some very nearby bolts. At the tail end of this cell the sky began to clear and I thought the show was over. However....

Cell 3. The Severe Thunderstorm: This appeared directly to the S just before 18.00 and announced itself with non stop rumbling and booming thunder. In the next 15 minutes the sky became jet black all around and there were overhead strikes and flashes between 18.10-18.20. I thought it couldn't get better but there was an amazing bolt which split into 4 separate CGs about 1 mile away followed by deafening thunder ;) !! After 18.20 I went to the back rooms and bolts were striking visibly from there too, effectively we were right in the centre of the severe cell with heavy rain pouring too. As it edged away to the NE I decided to count accurately how much lightning there was. I counted 8 CGs and there were also CC/IC in the same minute (there were probably more CGs out of my vision). A gusty SE then SW wind picked up just before 18.30 and as the sky began to clear low scud could be seen flowing into the storm cell to the NW. The sun came out at 18.35 and a CG struck beside the clearing part of the sky :) ! Several more close strikes followed before the cell quietened down by 18.45. The frequency of the lightning was greater than June 24th which was incredible enough.

Since then we have had some heavy rain and a few more rumbles over Salisbury Plain.

Posted

Think it's the same storm I caught on camera Andy. We had very frequent Lightning here. In the clip I put up you can see 4 flashes in the 30 seconds and thats just at the angel I was filming at

Posted

Hi,

Around 18:45, we had a short, but spectacular storm here in Grimsby/Cleethorpes. Very Loud Thunder and lots of Forks around (very close)...followed by torrential rain. Storm headed out to sea, then it started getting humid again. As i type it looks very imposing looking towards the wolds....maybe another inbound.

Rgds

Glenn

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms.

That last cell Andy has just cleared Swindon, lots of CGs and very heavy rain.We had 2 cells in total, the storm is now moving off NE.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter, warm and sunny in summer

Wow!! What a storm sequence! Started around 5.50pm when it turned as black as night. The first lightning strikes were over the back of my house within the clouds but it didn't take long for them to be all around, one struck a house in the next street, beautifully defined lightning strike. It continued at around 10-15 strikes a minute until about 6.45pm.

I tried lots of times to catch a photo of a strike but with no luck although I did get some good pics of clouds that I will post later.

Classic!

Posted
Wow!! What a storm sequence! Started around 5.50pm when it turned as black as night. The first lightning strikes were over the back of my house within the clouds but it didn't take long for them to be all around, one struck a house in the next street, beautifully defined lightning strike. It continued at around 10-15 strikes a minute until about 6.45pm.

I tried lots of times to catch a photo of a strike but with no luck although I did get some good pics of clouds that I will post later.

Classic!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Got it here in Newcastle too. Can't remember seeing anything like it around here to be honest.

I'd suggest watching Look North tonight, they had some fantastic footage of it over the Tyne Bridges at around 18:00. Again, was black as night, almost continious CG strikes. Plenty of them very close. Eased off a bit and the sky went a greeny/grey colour then moved out over the north sea. Possibly more to come but it seems more likely you'll get it rather than us in Newcastle!

Carl

Posted

Since 6.30 we have had light to moderate rain out of high thin cloud with approx 6 flashes of lightning. The orange of the sunset is visible through the cloud but its still raining. Pretty disappointing really, near miss earlier as a storm passed to the north and caused havock in west yorks. Top temp today was 29oc.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Mixed winters and springs, thundery summers and meditteranean autumns

Moderate thunder and a little lightning, mainly to the east, between 6pm and 7: 30 pm - with steady rain and a moderate easterly breeze. Sky to the west, much clearer and brighter, with white - then orange mammatus above.

Posted
  • Location: Leicester City Centre (Home) Ashby-De-La-Zouch (Work)
  • Location: Leicester City Centre (Home) Ashby-De-La-Zouch (Work)

Good ol' thunderstorm going on here after a beautiful orange/yellow sky at sunset.

Posted

Storm 2. Overhead now. Bright lightning and strong thunder. Not loads of it as appears quite condensed. But Fun all the same. Also see further strikes heading this way on the horizon.