Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storm Reports 31st August 05

Posted

around 5pm in Owermoigne nr Winfrith, Dorset my Friend (while riding moped) says there was massive Hail stones and thunder Booming round and a lot of Lightning,

(less than 20 miles away I am and nothing . not even a rumble)

Posted
  • Location: lootons, bedfordshires, somewheres in SE Englands & E Anglia

bright sheet lightenings is flashings aways towards north. it is must be arounds milton keynes regions!

Posted
Welcome to the site, your first post was just right.

Nothing else here now, all eyes on Scotland now for tonight.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

oh dear never mind, I was hoping for a little more tonight with all the activity going on. Looking at the lightening detector, it appears very busy in the south mids area ie oxfordshire. About an hour ago, a very orange sky appeared here which was eery to say the least!!!

Thanks for letting me know the post was OK, still not sure what I am doing but I will work hard to make sure I get it right.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Snow, Windy at the coast.

We had a short but powerful storm earlier this afternoon, It started about 15.45 until roughly 17.00.

There was very heavy rain with frequent loud thunder/lightning.

A major electrical substation was struck by lightning in Stalybridge. This caused a power cut for a large part of Tameside, which included where I work and where I live aswell.

Thankfully Power was restored about 17.00. But the traffic was bonkers because of the lights going down, on top of the surface water problems.

Guest Nelbertine

Very heavy thunderstorm now passing through northern Lincolnshire - started around 20:45 and presently subsiding - loud thunder, lots of lightning and very heavy rain.

Posted

Had a VERY severe thunderstorm at about 8PM, completely red sky.

Lightning was every 5seconds or so, and on playback of some footage it came REALLY close to the house. So close it has shocked me, but i never realised until the playback.

I'll cut the video when i have access to brothers video editing machine and i'll get it online for others to see.

Chris

Posted

i'm in basingstoke - we've just experienced that severe thunderstorm mentioned above. at times there was lightning going off multiple times per second. probably the best lightning show i've seen this year so far. amazing stuff.

curiously, a lot of the lightning appeared to be going sideways - cloud to cloud. is that possible, or was it just because of my vantage point?

Posted

What a storm we had :o

Got back just before 6pm and was chased by the biggest, blackest cloud ever. To quote hubbie "it was like something out of Independence Day" :blink:

Had some pretty harsh rain and lots of thunder and lightening. It died off after 15 mins then started up again. Lots of ground strikes and one which was a bit too close for comfort ;)

Shortly after the power went off, came on, went off, came on and then went off and is still off.......3 hours later :angry:

Started get heavy rain again ;)

Posted
Very heavy thunderstorm now passing through northern Lincolnshire - started around 20:45 and presently subsiding - loud thunder, lots of lightning and very heavy rain.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi,

Had that one in Cleethorpes...over the sea now, very spectacular light show at the moment.....Heavy rain throughout the storm. Still feeling muggy and Humid though....maybe more to come??

Rgds

Posted
What a storm we had  :o

Got back just before 6pm and was chased by the biggest, blackest cloud ever. To quote hubbie "it was like something out of Independence Day" :blink:

Had some pretty harsh rain and lots of thunder and lightening. It died off after 15 mins then started up again. Lots of ground strikes and one which was a bit too close for comfort  ;)

Shortly after the power went off, came on, went off, came on and then went off and is still off.......3 hours later  :angry:

Started get heavy rain again  ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I feel your pain, EVERY time we get thunderstorms we lose the power here. The local substation is in the middle of a field and gets struck everytime. Ive just returned home in the most violent thunderstorm so far this year and as soon as I reached my town it was absolutely pitch black!

Posted

Thunderstorm in Buckingham started about 8.20 pm and lasted an hour. Lots of very bright cloud to cloud lightning and a few cg strikes. Heavy rain along with it. Has moved away to the north east now, and getting humid again.

Posted
I feel your pain, EVERY time we get thunderstorms we lose the power here. The local substation is in the middle of a field and gets struck everytime. Ive just returned home in the most violent thunderstorm so far this year and as soon as I reached my town it was absolutely pitch black!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

We finally managed to get through to the Electric company to get a message saying that most of N Yorkshire is off and they are trying their hardest to restore power but can't give an estimate - wonderful :blink:

Stopped raining now, so I think we have had our lot of this little storm ;)

Posted

Fantastic storm tonight - had to shut down the computer due to potential damage - even satellite TV went down for 1.5 hours.

Started around 7.15 and the most amazing thing was that although the ground condition were very, very still, the clouds were rolling in really fast. Thunder rumbles started at 7.15 towards the South West, it continued to build until at 7.40 the heavens opened at we had 2 minutes of torrential rain. I am guessing there was more than one storm as it moved directly towards to the NE and then re-appeared in the East moving around to SE then South then SW.

Wonderful lightning shows all of them fork and then vanished around 9.20.

Posted

7:30 had a lovely little storm come in come in from the channel. some great lightning and very low deep sounding thunder.

Posted

treeple flash ultra bright lightenings all over the skys in all directions is starteds , very bad sheet lightenings. no forks is was seens. rumblies is starteds after 9.15pms and they is was quite louds but not wicked clipperty clops!! torrential downpour is cames then all is starts to calms. it is stopped bout 25 mins ago.

lightenings is still continuings right nows but far aways and towards south and no rumblies is audibals. very humids steels and 21c. sticky nights again! hope the lootons is got no mores comings

Posted

Just noticed it flashing away over the wolds area, with rumbles of thunder to acompany.....temp seems to have picked up a tad......is that normal??

Rgds

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme!

Storm started as I travelled from Jarrow, Tyne and Wear at about 6:00.

Went very dark, streetlights came on, torrential rain flooding roads.

Lightning was very frequent and close to me as I traveled home to Stanley. I must admit I was quite scared at one point as it flashed all around. One bit was pink and lit the pace up with a steady light for about 2 seconds. When i got home i grabbed the video camera and managed to capture a few bits of lightning before it died away.

I should be uploading this to the photography section tomorrow night.

Mark.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow

Had a very big thunder storm here.We had loads of lighting and very heavy rain. Storm started at around 6:30pm - 7:20pm was brill even our lights at asda peterlee went off and came back on. Also the was some power cuts around the local area.Best thunder storm ive ever see so far.

Edited by roberthines

Posted

Storm now trying to establish itself towards Cleethorpes. Plenty of Lightning getting closer with constant rumbles of thunder...just started to rain....got a hunch this ones just going to miss us and hit just to the south of my location. Lightning intensifying as i type...now CG

Rgds

ps, nothing showing on the Lightning detector yet for my area.

Edited by GlennP