Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Copyright And Ripping

Posted

I do photography for pleasure and I don't mind sharing samples with friends but if anyone ripped my material, (which I normally post on the web at lower resolution), then I would be less than pleased.

This is not getting at posters who probably act in all innocence but I would ask everyone to ONLY post their own material and observe other folks' copyright. Professional photographers make their living from their work, Breach of Copyright is a serious issue and can easily land you in court.

Ripping is the same as cheating for an exam or lying about qualifications. The ability to cut'n'paste does not make you an artist or a dedicated technician.

PLEASE DON'T DO IT!

Posted
This is not getting at posters who probably act in all innocence but I would ask everyone to ONLY post their own material and observe other folks' copyright. Professional photographers make their living from their work, Breach of Copyright is a serious issue and can easily land you in court.

Ripping is the same as cheating for an exam or lying about qualifications. The ability to cut'n'paste does not make you an artist or a dedicated technician.

PLEASE DON'T DO IT!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

someone Plagiarising you then mate????

Posted

I will check but have you put them into Net Weather gallery and linked then from there.

Just going to find your images

Ok you loaded them up from your computer.

I have looked and all the Exif data is there, you took the image with an Oly E300

Ok I see what you mean now when you click properties you don�t get the summery tab, I don�t know why that is sorry.

But the EXIF data is still attached to the image you just need a exif viewer to view it or save the image and open it in photoshop.

Posted

it's uploaded to a different operating system which probably doesn't return those values when properties are called.

Posted

Very true about the ripping of things on here.

I personally do not have a problem with people posting my stuff elsewhere.

Anything that I create is copyright liberated whether it be photographic images, literature, art, software, or whatever.

That said, if someone or someones were to take something of mine and say it was their own work then I can't say I would be thrilled about it.

So even if someone says its ok to do the same with their stuff, please give a credit where possible.

As for the exif data on the images, File Alyzer by Patrick Kolla has an exif reader built in.

http://www.safer-networking.org/en/filealyzer/index.html

It doesn't have the features of a full blown exif reader, but this tool can be useful for finding data within files whether it be an image or a binary executable.

Posted

What's the opinion on taking copies of pictures purely for display on PC screens?

More than once, I've liked people's pictures so much I put them on my PC desktop, particularly landscapes and storm pics - to brighten up my desk at work :huh: It gives me something nicer to look at at quieter moments than spreadsheets all day!

I don't modify the pictures in any way, and always leave on copyright markings and signatures etc.

I worry that what I'm doing is breaching copyright somehow, and might cause offence to the photographer.

Am I doing something I shouldn't? Should I be asking permission from the photographer to use their pics on my desktop?

thanks

-PBS-

Posted
What's the opinion on taking copies of pictures purely for display on PC screens?

More than once, I've liked people's pictures so much I put them on my PC desktop, particularly landscapes and storm pics - to brighten up my desk at work  :huh:   It gives me something nicer to look at at quieter moments than spreadsheets all day!

I don't modify the pictures in any way, and always leave on copyright markings and signatures etc.

I worry that what I'm doing is breaching copyright somehow, and might cause offence to the photographer.

Am I doing something I shouldn't?  Should I be asking permission from the photographer to use their pics on my desktop?

thanks

-PBS-

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I dont think you do. Because your using it for your own use and its not on public display - I.E on a website, where loads of people can see it. Also if you modify a picture thats not yours and put it on another website then, Well just steer clear of doing that.

Posted
Am I doing something I shouldn't? Should I be asking permission from the photographer to use their pics on my desktop?

You could do that if you really wanted to, though placing it on your desktop is not in violation of anything.

Its unauthorized distribution (unless stated otherwise) and plagarism that is against copyrights, and not to mention immoral.

Posted

If a photo or picture is posted on a web page, then it has to be the intention of the poster that they don't mind others downloading it. Otherwise they would not share it.

• 3 weeks later...

I've added XHTML coding on my own forum that prevents right clicking to nick images that should, and rightfully be respected to the author, plus ask permission for before blatantly 'nicking.'

Why do you think that any image I post on here has © Phil UK 2005, or whatever year on it? It is pure plagarism otherwise.

You can view the actual image source, but it'll take you ages to find where in the HTML source code. But I'm working on that to prevent any right clicking anywhere.

Unless you're still a Netscape user! :(

Phil.

Posted
I've added XHTML coding on my own forum that prevents right clicking to nick images that should, and rightfully be respected to the author, plus ask permission for before blatantly 'nicking.'

Why do you think that any image I post on here has © Phil UK 2005, or whatever year on it? It is pure plagarism otherwise.

You can view the actual image source, but it'll take you ages to find where in the HTML source code. But I'm working on that to prevent any right clicking anywhere.

Unless you're still a Netscape user! :unsure:

Phil.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi phil. Rick click disabling is something i use, but it does not prevent the image from being d/L. More knowledgeable users can still track the Image URL, and do it that way, i think there is some ISP's that will black users doing this :)

Hi phil. Rick click disabling is something i use, but it does not prevent the image from being d/L. More knowledgeable users can still track the Image URL, and do it that way, i think there is some ISP's that will black users doing this :unsure:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yup, all you have to do is hit Prt sc to copy everything on screen, so stopping right clicking is not really worth the aggro IMO.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

I've one of Wibs's iridescence pics on my PC...All you need do is ask permission. What's so hard about that? :unsure: :)

Posted

I work in the image industry and there are loads of things you can do to help protect your images, some cost money and in some cases lots of money, others take a lit bit of time and some understanding of digital images but don’t cost anything.

But, lets be honest most of use don’t take good enough quality images to be taken by people to use professionally, ok they can be posted up on other website or emailed which is not on, every attempt should be made to get permission the use the images on your website with credit to the copyright owner. If this has been done there should not be a problem with using someone’s images on your website providing you remove them if you are asked to. But don’t use images on your site if they are someone’s livelihood or for sale.

The best option is not to post your money images on the web ever. The majority of my image portfolio has never been posted on the net. If a client wants to see my portfolio they see hard copies only and in my presence, I never take images to a client on disk for them to view on the pc and I never email my images and if the client needs a soft copy of the image I will only supply it at the size he requires and at screen resolution so it can be viewed. All other images I sell are hard copies only. But, even that does not stop someone copying the image if they really wanted to.

Posted
I work in the image industry and there are loads of things you can do to help protect your images, some cost money and in some cases lots of money, others take a lit bit of time and some understanding of digital images but don’t cost anything.

The best option is not to post your money images on the web ever. The majority of my image portfolio has never been posted on the net. If a client wants to see my portfolio they see hard copies only and in my presence, I never take images to a client on disk for them to view on the pc and I never email my images and if the client needs a soft copy of the image I will only supply it at the size he requires and at screen resolution so it can be viewed. All other images I sell are hard copies only. But, even that does not stop someone copying the image if they really wanted to.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

So Adi, is it breach of copyright to cut and paste, for example, news stories from BBC site?? the rules seem to be a bit vague. also if you add a link to a post, to another image; is that breaking the copyright? as you said earlier the use of pictures in some posts are purely done as an innocent addition to the posters subject matter, when you go to a site to get a picture why does it not have the copyright symbol on it? i always thought that without the symbol it was allowable to use.

Edited by sesnow1

Posted

The short answer is yes because the BBC state that there site is protected by copyright.

Any image and words are owned by the creator or company he works for so there is no need to state copyright but in case of images I do to stop any ambiguity.

Copyright law is a very complex area as a student is aloud to copy more from a book than the rest of us for instance. There is a rule that we work too to stay right side of the law. Its down to the customer to prove ownership of copyright, so if for instance someone wanted some wedding photos copied and there is no indication on the images suggesting otherwise and the person does not say anything we will copy the images and we would be covered, its down to the customer to prove ownership.

Paul recently was asked by a news paper to remind people on the forum not to use there images on the forum without permission firstly because the images were taken from there website without permission and secondly they did not own the copyright the photographers did and you could only get permission to use the images from the photographers, the newspaper could have been sued by the photographer for letting the images be taken form there website. So they contacted Paul to cover there back.

Posted
The short answer is yes because the BBC state that there site is protected by copyright.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

well complicated it is. in the civil service (well at least my department) we have to fill a form out (i know) stating who the author/owner is of the piece of work been photocopied.

Posted

Anyone with half a brain can easily get around such measures, they are absolutely worthless and will just cause an annoyance to all your visitors who use browsers that support multiple tabs.

All you lot who claim images of Gods creations as your own in order to get an ego trip really should get out more.

Posted

You in one of those moods again Tim…. I can put God and get out more in the same sentence as well

Edited by Adi F

Hi phil. Rick click disabling is something i use, but it does not prevent the image from being d/L. More knowledgeable users can still track the Image URL, and do it that way, i think there is some ISP's that will black users doing this :)

Hi Cloudburst.

I know of two ways to copy an image, one has already been mentioned as regarding the PrtScn key. The other being to right click away from the image and look for the HTML source code.

Now don't get me wrong. I don't mind anyone on this forum nicking any images that I post. Please feel free to if you like what you see. I'll even E-mail anyone the original full size image if they so require, that's not a problem at all. It's a (new-ish) hobby of mine and something that I enjoy and hopefully Net-Weather and my own forum members will also enjoy as it makes what I do all the more worthwhile. But what I was thinking, and as Adi rightly mentioned, if your images are for retail over the internet then it's hardly fair to blatantly take without asking the author of the said image first.

But I do add a © and author name to my images for a reason...

And that being to prove that it is my own work, and not in any way plagarized or stolen from another website, who themselves have probably spent hours upon hours of photography.

And Tim B. Thanks for the near insult! I'm not rising to it. But I get out more than you think!

Phil.

Posted
Hi Cloudburst.

I know of two ways to copy an image, one has already been mentioned as regarding the PrtScn key. The other being to right click away from the image and look for the HTML source code.

Now don't get me wrong. I don't mind anyone on this forum nicking any images that I post. Please feel free to if you like what you see. I'll even E-mail anyone the original full size image if they so require, that's not a problem at all. It's a (new-ish) hobby of mine and something that I enjoy and hopefully Net-Weather and my own forum members will also enjoy as it makes what I do all the more worthwhile. But what I was thinking, and as Adi rightly mentioned, if your images are for retail over the internet then it's hardly fair to blatantly take without asking the author of the said image first.

But I do add a © and author name to my images for a reason...

And that being to prove that it is my own work, and not in any way plagarized or stolen from another website, who themselves have probably spent hours upon hours of photography.

And Tim B. Thanks for the near insult! I'm not rising to it. But I get out more than you think!

Phil.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi, another way is to go to view and source, then grab the url - I am currently looking for software that will prevent this, for a website i am designing.

Posted

Hi,I just watermark all my images I put on my site or any other site for that matter,its a light watermark right across the middle of the image that way it cant be cropped

out and it does not waste the image in any way.

Great posts by you all and all interesting too.. :unsure: