Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storm Reports - 4th September 05

Paul Sherman

Posted

Looks like 82f should be reached and very moist sultry air should start off those Storms come Sunday afternoon and evening, so please post ONLY Storm Reports here and general chat to be placed in the discussion area in Storms & Extreme Weather.

Many Thanks

Paul Sherman

Posted

First report,

Heavy rain, a few flashes of lightning and thunder. Seems to be mooving South-south east :angry:

Marcus

EDIT> meant to say that its been going onn and off since 12:20

Edited by thewildething

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Hot Summer days

heavy rain shower and several large rumbles of thunder and lightning, in the Swansea and Gower area.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Heavy rain, some visible lightning, and a few rumbles of thunder in Brixham, S.Devon...moving to the north east me thinks

Posted
Heavy rain, some visible lightning, and a few rumbles of thunder in Brixham, S.Devon...moving to the north east me thinks

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi Connor,

Should have made up for it in the last half hour. Plenty of rain,thunder and lightning now at 8.20pm.

Regards

Hello just in time for SW Wales Storm Report

Hello Storm fans and welcome to SW Wales Storm Report,

As we look from 4pm it was looking like thunder and lightening was on the cards at about 6pm. As 5pm and 6pm past things got pretty dim on the radar and the band started swigning up north East. Right now the second band is gathering and is heading right for where I live in SW Wales. Its got with it downpours of rain that has already landed in Bristol area or is heading to them first or is just missing them. Proberly has hit them though. I would imagine nobody else will get that bunch of rain as its passing the Bristol channel over towards SW Wales. After that it will get smaller and go up and proberly hit Liverpool, thats if it gets that far which it proberly wont. I myself think that the wind will change at about 12am and go East all the way over to East England where they will get whats left. We could say they are getting the "scraps" of the weather. Hope you enjoyed my SW Wales Storm Report.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Lots of flash adn bangs to the southeast (somewhere near or beyond the Mendips) but only light, big raindrops here.

Posted

This my first post..........Distant Thunder and some lighting, its just started raining after a very muggy evening.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.
Lots of flash adn bangs to the southeast (somewhere near or beyond the Mendips) but only light, big raindrops here.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Lots of sheet lightning due south towards South Cheshire /Salop area.

Posted

Lots of flashes and distant rumbles towards the east (I'm located in Ellesmere Port, Cheshire). Rain is on and off, seems to be picking up again. Strike Alert says 12 - 24 miles.

Posted
  • Location: Cheshire, 5 miles from Manchester Airport as the 737 flies!
  • Location: Cheshire, 5 miles from Manchester Airport as the 737 flies!

Another first post here!

Distant flashes and the odd rumble here in North-West Cheshire too - no rain yet, but still extremely muggy...

Where do I find the strike alert information please, Pharmcat? :(

S

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.
Lots of flashes and distant rumbles towards the east (I'm located in Ellesmere Port, Cheshire). Rain is on and off, seems to be picking up again. Strike Alert says 12 - 24 miles.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Pharmcat,

Can see the same lightning display as you. I would say due south from me, towards Crewe. That would tie in with your ob.

Cheers

Hi, another new reporter signing in here... :)

I noticed a distinct lack of reports from central southern England, so here goes...

An impressive storm, which has been loitering in the English Channel for a few hours, has moved north over the IOW and eastern edge of Southampton, around 9-9.30pm. We had frequent lightning at times on the south-east and eastern edges of Soton but I think the storm is weakening as it moves north through east Hants and west Surrey. Good (and accurate!) local sferics coverage is (or was!) available at the following URL:

http://www.isleofwightweather.co.uk/live_storm_data2.htm

Last week's (31 Aug) early evening storm just missed Southampton but I followed it up the M3, parked up in a field near Dummer and had great lightshow (which I failed to capture anything decent of on film :( )

This weather is uncharacteristic for the Southampton region, where usually years go by without even one CG... hence I'm loving it this year! :(

Rain's just stopped here (10pm) but still sultry.

Cheers y'all and have a nice evening....

Anybody from Brum taking intrest in the South Wales band because I think it will head to them after 12am. Im in South Wales If you need any updates of where it is then just ask and ill help. Currently nothing in South Wales. Not even rain as of yet. Wind just picking up but nothing like a gale wind! But then again it isnt calm. Proberly most wind we have had all day even though its not a big wind. The wind direction is going towards the black mountains which I cant see today because the clouds are too low. That in a good way is good because it means alot of rain that can not soak up because it will be falling all the time quicker than normal but in a bad way this could be more damage because if we get fork lightening then its easyier to catch things. So how much fun this is lets hope your all safe come tomorrow! Dont know if your clouds are low but ours has been low since 4pm.

Posted
Where do I find the strike alert information please, Pharmcat? :(

S

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Stubbette,

I'm using my trusty Strike Alert lightining detector courtesy of the Net-weather store :-) I never leave home without it!

Posted

I have had two storms today, the second nearly killed me, I went out on my bike to the sea front to see if I could see anything out to sea, whilst out a huge storm crossed directly overhead Portsmouth and I had nowhere to shelter the rain was torrential but the lightning was almost continues and they were so close I could hear air fizzing the shock waves actually gave me a nose bleed, I decided to abandon my bike and sat under the sea wall, whilst sat there I saw lightning hit the beach and saw it spider across the surface of the beach towards me, I thought my time was up.

I tried to phone my wife but the mobile network had gone down. When I finally got through to her she said she was about to ring the police.

An amazing experience that I never want to repeat.

This is the image of the sea wall that was my saved me.

Thanks to the rain I did not get to take any photos of the lightning.

gallery_1327_108_191698.jpg

P1010013_300k.wmv

Here is the only footage I managed to get.

I wish it had not rained so hard I would have got some great images.

gallery_1327_108_81558.jpg

Sorry about the quality of this image I was using my hand to try and shield the lens with my hand; I managed to get a lot of my hand.

How close is the strike, that is the one that gave me the nose bleed :(

Edited by Adi F

Posted

For the past hour (9:15 to 10:15pm) we have just watched the best storm (since last Wednesday) passing just south of Basingstoke and heading NE. The lightning was every couple of seconds at its peak, with some booming thunder. Lightning was very impressive, and fizzing between the clouds.

Posted

We have lightning on the horizon here in Oxford. Very exciting! :( Thunder still inaudible.

Temp 20.7C

Humidity 81%

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

(Shaun I) and IWent through a lightning display in Helsby, but apart from a few lightning strikes on the Wirral it died out. Impressive lightning though

Anybody from Brum taking intrest in the South Wales band because I think it will head to them after 12am. Im in South Wales If you need any updates of where it is then just ask and ill help. Currently nothing in South Wales. Not even rain as of yet. Wind just picking up but nothing like a gale wind! But then again it isnt calm. Proberly most wind we have had all day even though its not a big wind. The wind direction is going towards the black mountains which I cant see today because the clouds are too low. That in a good way is good because it means alot of rain that can not soak up because it will be falling all the time quicker than normal but in a bad way this could be more damage because if we get fork lightening then its easyier to catch things. So how much fun this is lets hope your all safe come tomorrow! Dont know if your clouds are low but ours has been low since 4pm.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

clouds have formed quite quickly here in nw leics and the wind as picked up no storms yet though :(