Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Met Office Forecast In The Telegraph

Posted

clipping from another bbc story~

Mr McCallum said the Met office prediction of a cold winter was 66% likely to be proved correct.

He said the calculations were based on the "North Atlantic oscillation" - a measure of sea temperatures which normally correlate with weather patterns.

Present readings suggest there will be much less westerly wind, which brings milder air from the Atlantic.

He said: "We have had a pattern of very, very mild winters over the last few years so this will come as a shock."

Edited by snowmadchrisuk

Posted
Pah, we'll all be dead from bird flu before it get's here if you believe everything the press prints.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

would be sods law........ :)

Posted

If it was down to the news we would all be on diets...... everything based on food these days seems to be a cause of a life threatening disease

Don't eat Grapes, they inflame your..........

Posted
Another piece of balanced journalism from our wonderful tabloid press ...!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I would agree (If I could read the print or be bothered to go and get the paper :o )

Posted
Can't find the story on their website nor their latest front page has the story of it anymore.

Bit strange to have a massive dramatic headline like that and then not even have the story on their website.

Can anyone summarise what the story was about? I'm sure we're all desperate to know ...

Bit strange to have a massive dramatic headline like that and then not even have the story on their website.

Can anyone summarise what the story was about? I'm sure we're all desperate to know ...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It's probably saying that we are going to have blustery, wet weather for 9 whole days!

Posted

Worth noting that The Daily Express and The Daily Star are both owned by Richard (dirty) Desmond, and it was Star that led with that ludicrous story about the "hottest day ever". Guess it was The Express' turn to lead with a mad weather story. what next?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unexpected gusts of wind, and cumulus clouds in rude and amusing shapes.

Not worth reading the article. Completely gratuitous tabloid rubbish. They've blown it up out of all proportions. I wonder if Global Warming was still unknown about would we get this media hype?

Posted

I think the express was just highlighting the topic i started yesterday about 8 people an hour will die because of the cold weather. ~ yesterdays news.... today! wierd how they seem to have changed the main headline on there online addition.

Posted

Caught my eye whilst in Sainsbury's

3 OAPS WILL die a day, in winter. Coldest in decades. Recent MetOffice forecast says so.

post-1863-1130344103_thumb.png

BY GARY MITCHELL

10:30 - 26 October 2005 

Three elderly people will die every day this winter from cold-related illnesses, according to campaigners.

Age Concern says up to 400 pensioners could die in Leicestershire from pneumonia and hypothermia between December and March.

The charity says elderly people are more at risk from the illnesses, especially those who live alone, and because the Met Office predicts one of the coldest winters in decades, even more people than usual could die.

Tony Donovan, executive director of Age Concern Leicestershire and Rutland, said: "The temperatures tend to change when people are least ready for it and people die from the cold every year. People have got to realise the dangers of cold weather.

"They should wrap up, eat hot meals and make sure they have enough heating in their house. If people don't listen to that advice, they could end up very sick and in hospital. At worst, they could die."

Nationally, Government figures show a total of 20,000 people over the age of 65 will die from the cold by March, equating to eight deaths an hour.

The charity is blaming high heating costs, poor housing standards and low incomes.

National Age Concern director-general Gordon Lishman said: "It's a national scandal that so many older people over 65 are put at risk every winter. More needs to be done for older people during the winter months so that they can heat their homes adequately without worrying about the cost."

Elderly people can claim a winter fuel allowance of £200 for over 60s and £300 for over 80s.

However, concerns have been raised in the past that this grant is used to buy other essentials, such as food and clothing. Age Concern has now called on the Government to increase the basic state pension to at least £109 a week to allow pensioners to heat their homes.

Brendan Hobbs, 69, of Lansdowne Road, Aylestone, Leicester, said: "How we're expected to get through the winter on a pension and an allowance of £200 is beyond me.

"I don't scrimp and save on heating. I know how important it is. It just means I can't afford to eat as well as I probably should."

Keith Twigg, 72, of Avon Road, Braunstone Town, said elderly people should look out for each other, especially in winter.

He said: "If you haven't seen one of your neighbours for a few days, alarm bells should start to ring and you should make inquiries to make sure they are OK."

GP Stuart Fraser said: "It's a regular problem that we witness every year.

"Some pensioners are reluctant to use up too much heating because they grew up in a time when such things were restricted because of the cost. This can lead to all kinds of problems with health."

Louise Tarplee, the Leicester hospitals manager for services to the elderly, said: "There are a variety of reasons for why older people get admitted to hospital in the winter, including flu and chest problems."

Age Concern recommends wearing several thin layers of clothing to keep warm. At least one hot meal should be eaten every day. The charity is also urging elderly people to get the flu jab as soon as possible.

Well, it looks as though alot of newspapers have picked up on this and what age concern have said about this.

SP3

Posted
Caught my eye whilst in Sainsbury's

3 OAPS WILL die a day, in winter. Coldest in decades. Recent MetOffice forecast says so.

post-1863-1130344103_thumb.png

Well, it looks as though alot of newspapers have picked up on this and what age concern have said about this.

SP3

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

A very true and sad tale that rears its ugly head every year. I think its sad that this occurs as firstly it shows that neigbours are just not being neighbours these days and checking up on the elderly in their community. People are too busy wrapped up in their own lives to consider others through periods of incliment weather

Another area that down right bothers me is the government and their blatant lack of concern, or so it appears. They would gladly take in an 'illegal' immigrant, home it, give it money for food and clothes and even cars, and yet 3 elderly British citizens die every day throughout the winter. So much for 'Your country needs you!'

Look out for your neighbours this year people. You could just save a life

Posted
agreed, illegal immagrants are taken care of, yet those who fought for country and need it most get so little...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I started a topic on this a couple of days ago but my story came from sky news and it was 8 people will die aday! but maybe the 3 people a day is just in our region

Posted

Personally I'm more concerned about Gail Porter's rather scary new look on that front page than the Daily Express's "expert" weather forecasting.

Posted

*Yawn*

"Big Freeze will cripple Britain" As is it reads on the front cover.... Don't they give uP?

"Coldest since 1963" "Sub Zero Tempratures".... :D:D :lol: :)