Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Was Summer 2005 Hot Or Cold?

johnholmes

Posted

hi

Not sure where this should go so I'll try here.

Sometime during our summer, officially 1 June to 31 August, probably in early August, I gave an idea of one way of testing has it been a good summer.

What I did was to give the number of days, this year, and in past years, that the temperature in my back garden reached or exceeded 25.0C.

Having now got the figures for August the number for

2005 is 24

2004=18

2003=20

2002=10

I am about to dig out my older statistics to see what the years back to 1997, when I started my weather diary here, reveal.

Perhaps others might like to show their own figures?

regards

John

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unexpected gusts of wind, and cumulus clouds in rude and amusing shapes.

I think it depends what part of the country you were in.

Overall, although I don't have any facts or figures to back me up, I would say it was warm generally, but not hot.

Posted

hi

the term hot or cold was not meant to be taken literally, simply a way of trying to judge was the summer okay, temperature wise, in your part of the country!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

here in sw england dry warm..not hot..relatively sunny..only 3 thunder days..overall a good summer IMO..very pleasent.

Posted

Heres mine:

Days Above 25°C between June 1st and August 31st:

2002: 7

2003: 17

2004: 9

2005: 20

It says a lot really. Summer 2005 was a good one here, better than 2003 even, mostly due to the mid-July warm period where I recorded 9 days from the 10th - 18th which topped 25°C. It is also the first summer on my records with average maxima of above 21°C in all three summer months.

I feel this summer will go down as a forgotten one though, due to CET values not being overly above average (aside from June) and wet weather July and August brought (Rainfall was was 179% and 132% here!).

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

In my area of Tyne and Wear, Summer 2005 wasn't quite as good as I had hoped, but on my rating system, it still came out above average. The overall percentage score was very close to that of Summer 2003, and beat all the other summers of the 00s by a large margin. Temperatures above 25C were more frequent than normal- probably the most so since 1997- with 27C exceeded for the first time since June 2000.

June got off to a cool and cloudy first half although there were a few sunny days, then the second half was remarkable with abundant warm sunshine and some thundery breakdowns (the 19th springs to mind), it was easily one of my favourite summer spells I can remember. July was very sunny during the middle third, but let down by an extremely dull final third- one of the most drab summer spells I can remember, in contrast to late June. August saw my area pick up a surprisingly high number of convective events given the lack of them across many other parts of the country, including big thunderstorms on the 13th and 31st. Although nothing particularly stood out, it seemed 'slightly above average' in all departments.

I agree that Summer 2005 is likely to be a forgotten one- as well as reef's points, it also didn't feature any exceptional prolonged heatwaves which are the kind of things that make summers like 1995 and 2003 memorable.

Posted

I do not have any data to back me up but my feeling in London was that this was an above average summer in terms of warmth (esp nightime minima) and sunshine. Although rainfall in July and August may well have been average or higher the rain tended to be concentrated in distinct blocs with a fairly small number of days being disproportionately responsible for the totals.

Would be interested to see what those with stations in London have recorded?

regards

ACB

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

I dont have any statistics, but here it has been a hot summer, almost definitely, not quite as good as 2003, but just below, the second best summer so far this century.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunder, strong winds

I think there has been more sunshine that normal, and it has been rather warm. Not hot though, didn't break the 30c barrier this year, only made 29.3c. Rainfall below average (no figures to back up, but I definatley think it was below average) with rainfall mostly in thunderstorms.

Posted

hi

I will publish more data on the weather in my back garden as soon as I can,= mean temp, days of rain etc. I suspect that the values I show are pretty indicative of what most people in much of Yorkshire, Derbyshire, Nottingham and Lincolnshire experienced.

regards

John

Posted

My thoughts again:

Slightly above average, excellent June especially but badly let down by the period mid-July to mid-August which prevented it being the joint best (with 2003) since 1995.

Temp: somewhat above average despite the cold days in late July and cool ones in August. Notable lack of warm sticky nights.

Rain: below average, despite excellent thunderstorms in the early part.

Sun: very very mixed. Some days glorious, others dire. Better than 1998, 2000 or 2002 by a long way however.

Edited by Summer of 95

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter, warm and sunny in summer

My own opinion is that the summer was above average. However, it was one of those seasons that, over time, will fade from the memory, suffering from being neither too hot or too cold, too wet or too dry.

In the year 2020 everyones memory will automatically go to summer 2003; 2004 and 2005 will be largely forgotten.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunder, strong winds
My own opinion is that the summer was above average. However, it was one of those seasons that, over time, will fade from the memory, suffering from being neither too hot or too cold, too wet or too dry.

In the year 2020 everyones memory will automatically go to summer 2003; 2004 and 2005 will be largely forgotten.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

2004 will never be forgotten imo, the events of boscastle and it being the wettest summer on record.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter, warm and sunny in summer
2004 will never be forgotten imo, the events of boscastle and it being the wettest summer on record.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Oh yeah! :( But that proves my point, I'd forgotten all about that!

Posted

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Believe it or not it wasnt the wettest, that title is held by Summer 1927 (329.9mm). Summer 2004 was the wettest summer since 1985 however, with 280.9mm of rain compared to 2004s 275.9mm.

Posted

hi

this is what my initial data showed for summer 2005

2005 is 24

2004=18

2003=20

2002=10

this seemed to suggest that 2005 was a 'better' summer than 2003.

Looking more closely at the data I have this shows the mean temperature for each year which has similar values, back to 1997, which is when I started recording temps in my back garden.

Remember its the whole of summer, 1 June to 31 August, the data covers.

2003 mean temp = 17.7C

2005 AND 1997 = 17.2C

so 2003 was the better year based on the mean temp for the summer. And 1997 was as good as this year.

Just shows what satistics can show!

regards

John

Posted

hi

this is what my initial data showed for summer 2005

2005 is 24

2004=18

2003=20

2002=10

this seemed to suggest that 2005 was a 'better' summer than 2003.

Looking more closely at the data I have this shows the mean temperature for each year which has similar values, back to 1997, which is when I started recording temps in my back garden.

Remember its the whole of summer, 1 June to 31 August, the data covers.

2003 mean temp = 17.7C

2005 AND 1997 = 17.2C

so 2003 was the better year based on the mean temp for the summer. And 1997 was as good as this year.

Just shows what statistics can show!

regards

John

Posted

close call though for many parts of eastern England and the Midlands, as the figures for my back garden show.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Forecaster Centaurea Weather

I would describe Summer 2005 as very much a good one with an experience of plenty of dry, sunny and warm weather.

Synoptically, the most striking aspect of the southern UK Summer has been the dominance of the west European ridge which has resulted in the near drought conditions here and severe drought in Portugal and Spain:

http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/img/climate/resea...-drought-pg.gif

My summary would be of an early Summer which differed from recent ones with repetitive ridging of the Azores resulting from bifurcations in the jet over the USA and a strong +ve PNA pattern.

Then followed a run of brief 'monsoonal' type events with enclosed lows associated with northern blocking during late July which, had they not occured, we would be experiencing one of the most memorable of Summers given the late August weather and return to the Azores ridging.

GP

Posted

I'm not sure of the statistics for this year compared with others but it was not a very consistant year this year.

Early summer was glorious but only for short periods at a time. Mid July until the end of August was appalling.

Let's just say there were no barbies in our house this summer :o

Posted
I would describe Summer 2005 as very much a good one with an experience of plenty of dry, sunny and warm weather.

Synoptically, the most striking aspect of the southern UK Summer has been the dominance of the west European ridge which has resulted in the near drought conditions here and severe drought in Portugal and Spain:

http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/img/climate/resea...-drought-pg.gif

My summary would be of an early Summer which differed from recent ones with repetitive ridging of the Azores resulting from bifurcations in the jet over the USA and a strong +ve PNA pattern.

Then followed a run of brief 'monsoonal' type events with enclosed lows associated with northern blocking during late July which, had they not occured, we would be experiencing one of the most memorable of Summers given the late August weather and return to the Azores ridging.

GP

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I tend to agree with your summary of what might have been GP.

People do have short memories and we are all prone to remember just the bits we want, whether that be for one type of weather or another.

Like you say, had it not been for the monsoon spell in late July it MIGHT have ended up far better than 2003. As my stats show, it was not all that far off anyway, and, in terms of very warm days, it was better than 2003, in my back garden anyway!

regards

John

Posted

In general I would say this summer in relation to 2004 and 2003 in the south east has been slightly more unsettled but still in the 'warmer than average' catergory. There seamed to be a higher frequency of more cloudier days/less sunny days than the previous 2 summers and heavier rainfall on sporadic days, and the consensus by the 'average Joe public' that summer 2005 has not been particularly good. This goes to prove just how our summers over the last decade or so have improved.