Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Was Summer 2005 Hot Or Cold?

johnholmes

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Certainly in the North East, though, I think this improvement was more over a 20-30 year span than a 10-year span. I remember many summers in the mid 1990s that had higher sunshine totals than the ones of the 00s have generally had.

In most places 2005 has been the second sunniest summer of the 00s (although summer 2001 was sunnier in parts of the south), but there were generally sunnier summers in 1994, 1995, 1996, and in places, 1997 and 1999.

Posted

thanks for that, have you got the figure for 2003 handy, as that, here at any rate, was almost 0.5C higher than this summer?

Posted
The CET for summer 2003 was 17.3

Summer 2004 had a CET of 16.2

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

cheers mate

Posted
The CET average for summer 2005 is 16.3

The summer CET average for summer 1990 is 16.2 and yet most people will remember summer 1990 more than summer 2005

Funny old world

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Indeed, that is generally because summer 1990 had one extremely hot month (August) and due to people's selective memories and the fact that the heat happened near the end, it will be remembered as a "good" summer. Interesting really as June 1990 was below average and July 1990 only just above average.

Summer 2004 is similar but in a bad way, due to the below average July it was seen as a crap summer, despite being overall above average.

There are also "forgotten" summers such as 1989, which was relatively warm and sunny right from May through to early October, this coming despite a hot July.

Posted
I thought 95 was a good hot summer...from what i remember ...and from early on it seemed really warm ?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Summer 1995 was a scorcher, it had a CET of 17.4 and was sunnier and drier than summer 2003 by a margin.

There was some notable warm spells in the April and May but the heat really kicked off during the last third of June.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Summer 2003 was particularly remarkable for its high minima, surely it must have been the hottest summer on record by that measure.

In Lancaster the mean maximum and minimum for Summer 2003 were 19.5C and 12.5C respectively, compared with values of 20.1C and 12.2C respectively for Summer 1995.

In Durham it was even more extreme- Summer 2003's mean minimum was 2C above the long-term average, compared with only 1C above in 1995. Once again, however, 1995 reported significantly higher maxima.

I think summers tend to be remembered for prolonged spells of exceptional heat, rather than for overall temperature, or indeed sunshine. That's probably a major reason why summer 1989 rarely gets mentioned even though much of eastern Britain had their sunniest summer on record that year- there were not generally any exceptional prolonged hot spells.

I also regard 1996 as a forgotten summer- maybe it was specific to Tyne & Wear, but in recent years only 1989 and 1995 produced sunnier summers in this region, and with 8 thunderdays, it was also the thunderiest summer there in my observational records dating back to 1993. However, temperatures were only about average, with high maxima offset to a degree by low minima.

Posted

Comparing summer 2004 with 2005 in Suffolk,

June 16.3C / 41.6mm

July 17.0C / 67.0mm

August 18.1C / 133.2mm

Warmest Day: 8th June (30.2C)

June 16.8C / 28.8mm

July 17.1C / 57.6mm

August 16.2C / 73.6mm

Warmest Day: 19th June (30.8C) - Warmest day since August 11th 2003.

So summer 2004 had an average of 17.1C and 241.8mm! (thanks to a very wet August) whereas summer 2005 started well with a very warm and dry June, but then went rapidly downhill to end up with an average of 16.7C and 160mm.

So here Summer 2004 was slightly warmer but wetter.

What's interesting is the lack of >+30C maxima recorded recently especially in July and August. The last time that occured was in 2003.

Posted
i think this summer was average warm in july and quite cool in august and june.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

June was one of the warmest on record! 33.1C unofficially in Central London on the 19th...

Posted

hi

you said

'This Summer was not hot then 2003 '

can you explain, it does not make sense at the moment

many thanks

John

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Well for Sheffield the averages can be seen here

http://www.jtgroocock.plus.com/html/averag..._-_2004-05.html

I've split them into seasons after seeing someone elses work I thought it was a good idea.

2003 here was hotter overall than 2005 but countrywise it maybe not so.

Posted
Well i said this years summer was not as hot as 2003 summer

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

thank you

Posted

Well its the first summer since 2000, where none of the summer months recorded a CET of 17C or greater.

There have only been 6 summers since and including 1990, that didn't have at least one of the summer months breech the 17C CET mark

1992, 1993, 1996 , 1998, 2000 and now 2005

That compares to the period from 1973 to 1989, where there were only 5 summers which at least one of the summer months breech the 17C CET mark

1975, 1976, 1983, 1984 and 1989

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There was only 2 summers since and including 1990 that didn't have at least one of the summer months breech the 16C CET mark

1993, 1998

That compares to the period from 1973 to 1989, where there were 7 summers that didn't have at least one of the summer months breech the 16C CET mark

1974, 1977, 1978, 1980, 1986, 1987, 1988

Posted

Another interesting statistic, from the provisional Met Office sunshine series:

Sunshine wise, Summer 2005 was a bog-standard summer for Scotland and Northern Ireland, with near average sunshine, losing out overall to Summer 2003.

Over England and Wales, however, it was the sunniest summer since 1996, narrowly beating 2003.

Posted
Another interesting statistic, from the provisional Met Office sunshine series:

Sunshine wise, Summer 2005 was a bog-standard summer for Scotland and Northern Ireland, with near average sunshine, losing out overall to Summer 2003.

Over England and Wales, however, it was the sunniest summer since 1996, narrowly beating 2003.

Can I caution against reading too much into the MO's sunshine series? Since the gradual replacement of Campbell-Stokes recorders with Kipp & Zonen radiation sensors began at the turn of the century, sunshine figures have been all over the place. The MO tell me they apply a blanket +10% correction to KZ figures to produce what they claim to be a seamless link, but anyone who has spent more than five minutes examining records from the two different types of sensor will know that there is nothing seamless about it.

On a daily basis, the comparison of CS to KZ varies between -15% and +100%. On a monthly basis that reduces to -5% to +40%. Having tabulated and analysed these figures for four years, my provisional conclusion is that it is simply not possible usefully or accurately to merge the two sets of records.

Philip Eden

• 1 month later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
2004 will never be forgotten imo, the events of boscastle and it being the wettest summer on record.

Agreed. There have been an interesting run of years so far this millenium.

2000 - Duller and cooler than average.

2001 - Warm, wet and thundery.

2002 - Duller but warmer than average.

2003 - Warmer than average !!! 38C on the 10th August.

2004 - Wetter than average !!! Boscastle 200mm on 16th August

2005 - More thunderstorms than any other summer I have been alive. If we go on the fact that Summer starts on 21st May and ends on 21st September - thunderstorms this summer as follows.

Saturday 21st May

Sunday 22nd May

Monday 23rd May

Friday 24th June

Tuesday 28th June

Monday 4th July

Wednesday 31st August

Saturday 10th September

Posted
Agreed. There have been an interesting run of years so far this millenium.

2000 - Duller and cooler than average.

2001 - Warm, wet and thundery.

2002 - Duller but warmer than average.

2003 - Warmer than average !!! 38C on the 10th August.

2004 - Wetter than average !!! Boscastle 200mm on 16th August

2005 - More thunderstorms than any other summer I have been alive. If we go on the fact that Summer starts on 21st May and ends on 21st September - thunderstorms this summer as follows.

Saturday 21st May

Sunday 22nd May

Monday 23rd May

Friday 24th June

Tuesday 28th June

Monday 4th July

Wednesday 31st August

Saturday 10th September

we have to have a standardised system I'm afraid and that system is the World Meteorological Organisation definition for the northern hemishphere, which is

summer=1 June to 30 August

regards

John

• 6 months later...
Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Here is the national summary of summer 2005...

June - Warmest since 2003, driest since 2001 and dullest since 2002. First half was the coolest since 1996 and the second half was the warmest since 1976.

In summary, warm, dry and sunny.

July - Warmest since 2003, driest since 2000 despite being wetter than average and sunniest since 2001.

In summary, warm, wet and dull.

August - Coolest since 1999, driest since 1998 and sunniest since 1995.

In summary, average temperatures but dry and sunny.

Summer 2005 - Warmest and driest since 2003 and sunniest since 1996.

In summary, warm June, close to average July and average August. Warm first half, close to average second half. Warm, dry and sunny.