Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Hurricane Rita.

Posted
Tbh Bilz, many are already asking why she hasn't been made up to Hurricane status already. Someone from TWS mentions she should have been upgraded to Hurricane Rita 18 hours ago :)

If recon hasn't found strong enough winds there is no reason to upgrade it even if the pressure is fairly low. (The background pressures aren't the same with all tropical cyclones and the size of the storm is also a factor)

Posted
Mondy,

it is so very confusing..I am convinced that the BBC website had her down as hurricane rita this morning - although I cant be sure  - now BBC say she is TS.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/extreme_weather.shtml

good overview of her location too from this. what do you think she will do tonight?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Become a hurricane within hours/mins even, have a little belly flop, re-organise and continue due west. High pressure to the north and low to the south will make sure she continues westward. Remember too, the confidence on the initial track is very high ( S.Texas - Houston). I stick with that.

EDIT: Indeed now Hurricane Rita. 78 knots reported in NW Quad. Hurricane hunters say so!

Edited by Mondy

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and snow but not together
Become a hurricane within hours/mins even, have a little belly flop, re-organise and continue due west. High pressure to the north and low to the south will make sure she continues westward. Remember too, the confidence on the initial track is very high ( S.Texas - Houston). I stick with that.

EDIT: Indeed now Hurricane Rita. 78 knots reported in NW Quad. Hurricane hunters say so!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

thanks Mondy, a nice summary to keep me up to speed and in laymans engliDoh a dumb swear filter got the better of me

Posted

I think at the moment also, is a fair amount of land drag from FL and Cuba, could be keeping things a little slower for now.

Posted
I thought it was an 80% reduction from this level which would make it 62kts.
You are probably right P.K.

With Katrina I looked up the math for the workings out and I got 90% as a figure, but looking again elsewhere now it can be between 60-85%.

to adjust winds at flight level to the surface show that surface winds over the ocean are typically 60-85% of the flight-level winds, depending on the wind strength and the air-sea temperature difference. In strong winds the percentage drops to 70-75 % and in areas of water much colder than the air it can drop to 50-60%. Over land these percentages drop another 15-20% depending on the terrain and exposure.

So, quite a few factors here I guess, land drag, sea temp, etc, probably the % should be closer to 75-80% which brings us into the range of 66-70mph, at 85% its 74.8mph.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy

And she seems to be keeping to open water and heading for the warm pool just beyond the Florida straights.....and all under the blazing, daytime sun. I would expect a little intensification before their local nightfall!!!

After that then we'll have to wait and see. You would hope that she has been forcast well and will go where the models predict but their is always a strong caveat at the end of the reports letting you know that its still only a 'best guess', especially from 3 days out.

Posted
With Katrina I looked up the math for the workings out and I got 90% as a figure, but looking again elsewhere now it can be between 60-85%.

A 90% reduction is used from 700hPa (As with Katrina), however in that case the SFMR wsa measuring winds of less than 90% of the flight level winds at the surface so they said the 90% may have been a bit high.

Edit - 982hPa in the latest vortex message.

Edited by P.K.

Posted
And she seems to be keeping to open water and heading for the warm pool just beyond the Florida straights.....and all under the blazing, daytime sun. I would expect a little intensification before their local nightfall!!!

After that then we'll have to wait and see. You would hope that she has been forcast well and will go where the models predict but their is always a strong caveat at the end of the reports letting you know that its still only a 'best guess', especially from 3 days out.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

would i be right in thinking that intensification happens more easily at night? i'm sure i heard someone say that on nhcwx

Posted

Thanks P.K. !

Noticed the differing flight levels they are using in some info I am reading so will read up on that part :)

Posted

Looks like it's finally a hurricane then. How exciting! 80 knots...that's 92mph

Posted
would i be right in thinking that intensification happens more easily at night? i'm sure i heard someone say that on nhcwx

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

then I guess your info to be right then! maybe the lower air temps allow a more rapid uptake of the warmer surface air and rapid convection results. I dare say with all that cloud not much sunshine makes it to the ground to help heat up the air but overnight the potential difference between SLT and air must be greater. Thanks for the heads up londonsnow :)

Posted
well said. the sooner GW accepts some form of responibility the better

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Most sensible thing i have read in a long time. GW and resposibility just dont go together. Just wish he would take that dam smirk of his face.

lol kaz x

Posted
Most sensible thing i have read in a long time.  GW and resposibility just dont go together. Just wish he would take that dam smirk of his face.

lol kaz x

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

My sister used to wear 'that smirk', it meant she was totally lost in a debate/up to her ears in s**t/not quite understanding your concern when she was being a dumb A**E. It has helped me come to terms with his uncomely face (his reasons for looking that way may include the ravages of his past liking for drink or being saved or both!!!).

Posted
Anyway folks, less about dubya....

I'm only just starting to get interested in the whole TS/Hurricane formation thing, but would I be far off the mark if I said that what happens after Rita has passed Florida will be the interesting/worrying part??

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

you would be bang on mark i reckon CMD

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow!

im in the same boat as you CMD, and yea i guess what happens in the Gulf will the exciting, interesting thing!! lol (and yea, maybe a tad worrying!)

Edited by i luv snow