Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Ladybirds

Anti-Mild

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter, warm and sunny in summer

Hello all,

in another topic, Mr Data stated that the behaviour of some ladybirds, particularly the orange species, are often a good indicator of what the coming winter may have to offer. Has anyone noticed any unusual behaviours from the ladybirds in their gardens or has it been pretty much business as usual?

I have lived in my current house for 5 years now and I have NEVER seen a ladybird :lol: so I cannot say one way or the other.

AM

Posted

Afternoon AM, Up here in Newcastle this summer there have been very few ladybirds and yet the aphid population has not been that great,it may be the dearth is caused by the lack of their favourite food. As to it being a sign for either a cold or mild winter---who knows?

Posted

Green aphids seem to have been well down this year and they are a major food source for ladybirds (adults and larvae) so that could be limiting their numbers. I have seen a few ladybirds though. Most were holed up in some old lupins I had to remove so I've stacked them ready for burning come springtime after any ladybirds or hedgehogs come out of their winter quarters.

Posted

there doesnt seem to be anymore or any less amounts of Ladybirds this year where I live.

However, I have seen 2 orange ladybirds this year so far. How do orange ladybirds have an effect on the comming winter?