Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Weather In Slovenia

Posted

Severe weather expected tonight (21 June) in the area (I think!? :( ). Here's the GFS precipitation chart:

post-4119-1150885570.png

And the estofex forecast: (with a Threat level 2 issued)

http://www.estofex.org/

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Well, it's looking good for Fire Night (Friday?) in Latvia, 29C already today in Riga...I promised my friend that she'd have a good week - she'll murder me if it doesn't thunder!! :(

Posted
Severe weather expected tonight (21 June) in the area (I think!? :rolleyes: ). Here's the GFS precipitation chart:

post-4119-1150885570.png

And the estofex forecast: (with a Threat level 2 issued)

http://www.estofex.org/

Well, the last night was clear, but yesterday during the day we had too much As and Cs clouds and temperature reached "only" +31,6°C; on Tuesday +33,0 - in some parts eaven +34. The last few days there is a persistant subsid inversion and Cb cap can´t form. I thing, wind is the problem too; for storms it would be better to has more NW direction in higher levels and SE or S direction in lower levels... the other alternative is cold front :lol:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow

Iztok

facinating site you have. Incredible area of the world you live in - a perfect set up for me - research in to unusual weather extremes AND you have to ski to do it. I wish the mountians near me got that amount of snow cover.

Edited by Red Raven

Posted

Thanke you.

I`m just try to show a different aspects of weather phenomenon ;)

You can visit some presented area ;)

We had more lucky with local convection yesterday. Soon after 2pm (T was +31C, the Cu con started to form in the central part of Slovenia. Growth was very quick and around 3pm first storm with smal hail and sleet has reached SW part of Ljubljana.

Another Cu con started to grow above Grosuplje (20 km SE from Ljubljana). Its growth was very explosive ;) and after 30 min the radar reflectance reached max. level.

In spite of not very good conditions storm cell continue its way towards Austria (to NE). Reason for this was unexpected colder air in the middle level (on about 850 hPa).

resizeofp62200189nh.th.jpg

resizeofreexposureofp62200201k.th.jpg

Posted

Yesterday was very interesting day! After a clear, quite warm morning with temperatures about +18 to +20°C weather started to go crazy :D

At first around 6am radar reflectivity was low on SW part of Carinthia (Austria). It was clear, that convection this day started very early.

Wind at higher elevation has mostly W direction, but in lower parts we have wind from E. First condition for a big stormcells evolution was good, but we were wait only for higher temperatures. This small cell travel above Carithia to E and than suddenly turn to SE and reached Kozjak mountains and Maribor. Here around 10am the thunderstorm with hail and a strong wind gusts caused a lot of damage! Almost everything on the fields was damaged by the hail.

Here is a radar animation (www.arso.gov.si)

radaranim2gs.gif

A lot of hail. Foto: Jani Dolinsek

toarusemb2968sh.jpg

In the meantime the central and W part of Slovenia has temperatures near +30°C and humidity has risen. Around 14pm SW from Ljubljana in very short time built up a huge storm cell with big envil cloud. After that it spread its strong rain with hail towards NE. At 16.20pm only 20 km from me hail with size like a tennis ball falling down. This storm reached almost the whole E part of Slovenia. The other storm with hail and heavy rain was in Gorenjska region too.

Hail from Litija (central part of Slo)..foto: www.24ur.com

haillitija2963xk.jpg

Radar. I was on the S part of red colour and making photos to NW and N.

radaranim1848dy9vv.gif

My pictures:

Big anvil cloud

p6290001af3tv.jpg

p6290021af5ru.jpg

It was realy dark - the public lightning was switched on

p6290027f5zv.jpg

The inflow tail above my town Grosuplje which produced the largest hail just 20 km NE!

The stratus clouds in the lower part has caotic directions and strong buoyancy force push it up very quickly!

p6290030af7pi.jpg

Edited by Iztok Sinjur

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Posted

In the second part of June 2006 and almost all July very warm and dry weather predominated. Daily temperatures often reached +30 °C! The highest daily maximum temperatures were eaven +35 °C and more (in Vipava valley +39 °C).

Because of very low RH (~20 %) and clear sky temperatures in sinkholes fell rapidly during the night. The highest differences between daily Tmin and Tmax reached eaven more than 30 K (max 31,9 K).

An example from Velika Padežnica (1122 m a.s.l.)

vpadeznica19217fk0.jpg

Yesterday early in the night the big storm formed S from Ljubljana. There was a lot of strikes :)

resizeofp7230086je4.jpg

resizeofp7230075fkk6.jpg

resizeofp7230068fep8.jpg

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Wow keep posting

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, crisp, calm and sunny

Amazing photos of the lightening strikes Iztok. Keep sending the information - its facinating. Also, the scenery is so beautiful I'd love to see more. :)

Posted

:) yesterday was another fantastic day! High humidity, temperatures over +30°C and big storms.

Late in the afternoon very big Cb cap formed S from Ljubljana. It has big inflow tail from NNW and caused heavy rain and higher RH :)

resizeofp7240124id1.jpg

Than atmosphere get another impulsion. Everywhere in westeren parts started stormy weather.

At first, at 7 pm UTC storm with numerous of lightnings pased to W south from my town.

Here are some photos :)

resizeofp7240145mv2.jpg

resizeofp7240148yq3.jpg

resizeofp7240147bc9.jpg

After this show just around midnight another storm hit Grosuplje. Precipitation intensity existed eaven 198 mm/h. Wind gusts 10 and more m/s. So after one hour we got 52,5mm of rain

Edited by Iztok Sinjur

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Fantastic, Iztok!!!! Just keep posting them... :):):)

Edited by Pete Tattum

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms

That last photo is just fantastic. Sounds and looks like a pretty amazing couple of days you had there.

Posted
Sounds and looks like a pretty amazing couple of days you had there.

Yes, these days are very interesting. These storms are small and limited on local area, with no possibility to predict its hit place. Winds at different levels are weak so storms are result of local convection. The other its characteristic is mainly stationariness.

Look at this example from yesterday. Conditions were the same like a last few days. (source: ARSO, www.arso.gov.si) In Grosuplje we had short duration heavy storm around 2pm UTC.

radar257061430utchp5er2.gif

At the same time on coast area is dry with temperatures around +35°C (+37°C).

Posted

Thanks for the great posts: keep it up! You'll probably have noticed that UK weatherwatchers are excited by mouch less 'weather' than you, so I envy you your beautiful and meteorologically interesting home. The photos are excellent, but I'll be honest, the big fat copyright text is slightly annoying; could you possibly shift it to a small corner somewhere? From now, I'll check the area charts with more interest. :whistling:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms
Thanks for the great posts: keep it up! You'll probably have noticed that UK weatherwatchers are excited by mouch less 'weather' than you, so I envy you your beautiful and meteorologically interesting home. The photos are excellent, but I'll be honest, the big fat copyright text is slightly annoying; could you possibly shift it to a small corner somewhere? From now, I'll check the area charts with more interest. :D

Yes I must say I do envy your weather over there. I think it was Iztok who posted all those snow pictures last winter as well. The ones with the amazing depths of snow.

Edited by SteveB

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and snow but not together

Yes definately, great reports, great picks and really refreshing..look forward to more!

Posted

Last days were very unstable with local strong convection. Days with storms were July 27, 28 and 29. <_<

On Thursday, July 28, afternoon thunderstorms with heavy showers and powerfull lightning activity built up along Karst area and around Pohorje plateau and Koroška region. Near Slovenj Gradec lightning killed 3 cows on pasture and water irrupted into a many cellars.

Before heavy rain! In Slovenj Gradec.

p7270009vy9cj4.jpg

Friday, July 29, started with hot weather and high humidity. Before midnight very big storm cell reached Slovenia from N Italy. An extesive squall line produced heavy rain and strong wind gusts (eaven 25m/s localy).

Here is a picture (1140 m a.s.l., near border to Austria in NE Slo.) from July 29 at 23 UTC.

p7290019co6va3.jpg

Italian radar (www.osmer.fvg.it). Line moved to ENE.

osmer287qz6.jpg

If you look a few days ahead, you will see that another interestig weather package are preparing :doh: -> a lot of rain, storms,...

This will be the first heavy rain after May, 30 for Vipava valley and other Karst area where has a lot of damage because of drought (fires, damage in agriculture).

Posted

As already Rade said about last cyclon passage in http://www.netweather.tv/forum/index.php?showtopic=31837, eaven in Slovenia didn´t get much better weather.

Mediteranian cyclogenesis caused bad and chilly weather for one week and more. Eaven now we have mostly cloudy.

Everything started in August 1.

We get more than 115mm precipitations until now, especialy in SW mountanious parts localy more than 140mm. Last two days were unsettled with afternoons showers and storms. In saturday, Aug. 5, we had a heavy storm with sleet. In less than one hour fell 22mm/m2.

Precipitation-daily acumulation in mm/m2 for Grosuplje (15 km SE from Ljubljana)

1.8. 0

2.8. 22,9

3.8. 16,6

4.8. 27,1

5.8. 26,6

6.8. 22,3

The passage of cold front caused storms and cooling in the mountains - snow cover at 2300m a.s.l..

Snowstorm at Kredarica. August 4,2006 Source: www.arso.gov.si

kredarica48061330bl7.jpg

Early morning at Kredarica (2515m a.s.l.), Aug 5. Snow hight: 10 cm

20060805777674mm6.th.jpg

Cold front in Grosuplje,Slovenia. Aug 3. Stratus cluds were realy low - less than 150m above ground

p8030008xn3ps1.jpg

Edited by Iztok Sinjur

Posted

From the charts and lightning indicators, it looks like you have had a Summer of rain and storms. Can you tell me if the weather this year is unusual in Slovenia, or is this normal? :)

Posted

Well, the winter was long with, especially at its end, above average precipitation amount -> look my old posts. Spring was quite normal -> a lot of snow in the mountains.

The summer began just "over the night". Cold 1st decade of June and than high temperatures until the end of July. Now temperatures below average.

June was very dry in W and central parts (near to record).

Storms,...hm... :) They were quite frequetntly at the end of June and during July. At the end of June two big windthrows has happened.

Posted

I don´t interest in a long term prediction, s I can´t tell more about prognosis for next mothes :o I know that for this week another cyclon and a lot of rain is expected.

But something is certainly true in this year; we have a lot of quick changeable weather situations and more extremes (my opinion).

Until now the summer was warmer than averages 1961-1990.

A part from monthly bulletin of our weather service (www.arso.gov.si)- Mesečni bilten, Junij 2006

SUMMARY

The mean air temperature in June was above the 1961–1990 normals, temperature anomaly was mostly between 2 and 3 °C and exceeding the limits of normal variability. The most pronounced temperature anomaly was observed in Postojna with 2,8 °C and in Ljubljana with 2,7 °C. On Bloke and in Goriško region observed temperature anomaly temperature anomaly didn’t exceed 0,5 °C, in

Kočevje region it was 1,1 °C. On many stations the maximum daily air temperature in June was among the highest ever observed in June, and on some stations the highest daily air temperature in June was observed. Precipitation was the most abundant in north and north-east of the country, that is quite unusual for precipitation distribution pattern of Slovenia. In Kamniška Bistrica 142 mm were registered, in Murska

Sobota 103 mm and in Jeruzalem 95 mm. Quite dry was June on the Coast, where only 5 mm were registered, in upper Vipava valley, where 7 mm were observed and in Karst and Goriška region, where less than 20 mm were registered. Precipitation exceeded the 1961–1990 normals only in Murska Sobota, where 6 % more than the normal precipitation was observed. Between 80 in 100 % of the normal precipitation was registered in Jeruzalem, Celje and Maribor region. In upper Vipava valley, part of Soča valley, on Coast, Karst, Goriška region and Soča there was less than 20 % of the 1961– 1990 normals was observed. On Kredarica snow cover depth on 1 May was 255 cm, which is above the 1961–1990 normals. There were also some severe thunderstorms, most of them occurred on 29 June, locally hail, heavy precipitation and strong winds caused significant damage.

Edited by Iztok Sinjur

Posted

I´m adding a link to our article in professional review Geographical horizont where we write about measurements in diferent microlocations all over Slovenia.

It is in slovenian language, but short abstract is in English. There is a lot of photos and tables.

http://www.zrc-sazu.si/zgds/obzornik/2_2006.pdf

In September on 6th European conference on Aplied Climatology in Ljubljana we will introduced some new findings from our joint research.

In July we set up the research plot in one sinkhole (sinkhole="mrazišče") named Luknja at 1430 m a.s.l. (it is 100m deep and has sky view factor 0,6)

Ready for first test. It has 2 levels (the first is 2m and the second one is 3,6m above ground - snow)

resizeofp7080066km7.jpg

Don´t remember... this is all just a hobby :)