Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

On This Day...

Zerouali lives

Posted

Today is the 11th anniversary of the blizzard conditions which affected Aberdeen in 1994. I remember being in 2nd year at Aberdeen Grammar School and looking out our Art class window - heavy snow which didn't lie (35m) but did in NW Aberdeen (130m near the highest point). I could be wrong but i think the max on that day was 7°C which obviously a significant windchill.

Edited by Zerouali lives

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

The statistics and synoptics are consistent with these recollections: Durham maxed at just 8.0C that day, and Lancaster could only manage 7.2C.

Posted
  • Location: Sth Staffs/Shrops 105m/345' & NW Snowdonia 219m/719'
  • Location: Sth Staffs/Shrops 105m/345' & NW Snowdonia 219m/719'

On this day (October 6th) 50 years ago:

Gale smashes shop window. (Originally published: October 6, 1955 Express and Star article here.)

Wolverhampton and district - like the rest of Britain - was lashed by gale-force winds last night.

A plate-glass window at the Wednesbury branch of the Walsall and District Co-Operative Society was blown in.......

I haven't been able to find out just how bad or not these gales were. Maybe it was just a slow day for news!

• 7 months later...
Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Here is the chart from the 3rd October 1994...

Rrea00119941003.gif

Quite a few troughs in the northerly air flow.