Thunder?
Local
Radar
Pollen
IGNORED

Bulbs

snow raven

Posted

well, I planted some bulbs a couple of weeks ago (said to plant between Sept-Dec) for bloom in March/April.

Anyway, I came home from work today to see that one of my plant pots that I put the bulbs in has started to sprout shoots already.....

what on earth have I done wrong?! :):)

• Replies 7
    • Created
    • Last Reply
    Posted
    thanks cheeseburger for that link.  I think I did plant them too shallow - so I have bunged a load more dirt on top of them...  :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Cool, no probs :) . Dont know much about flower, jst grass and trees, but i think the extra soil will protect the bulbs when, finally the temps start to drop and hopefully you should get some nice colourful flowers in spring :)

Posted
    Cool, no probs  :) . Dont know much about flower, jst grass and trees, but i think the extra soil will protect the bulbs when, finally the temps start to drop and hopefully you should get some nice colourful flowers in spring  :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

thats what I was hoping for - I was shocked to see the sprouts just 2 weeks later! I just hope I havent killed off the bulbs that were growing by shoving more dirt on them!

Posted
    thats what I was hoping for - I was shocked to see the sprouts just 2 weeks later!  I just hope I havent killed off the bulbs that were growing by shoving more dirt on them!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Dirt, dirt?, its soil, :) sorry im doin soil science and site evaluation at the mo on my course and its really interesting....NOT :) , well it is if ya got grass growing in it :) . Spose it could cause a humid enviroment around the bulb which could cause fungal disease, but should think they'll be ok, bulbs are quite hardy.

I'll ask the guy that does the flower beds at work 2mo.

Posted

gosh - sorry, I call anything dirty and muddy look dirt :) .... I did actually get proper bulb peat (aka dirt, but double the price) to plant the bulbs in.... so they should last a few years yet....

Posted

Well if the weather carries on like this we'll probably have daffodils for New Year :) .

I noticed blossom blooming on a few trees this afternoon !

Archived