Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Last Time You Saw Lying Snow During November?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

To follow on from Mr Data's topic about lying snow in March, when was the last time we generally saw lying snow in November?

In my coastal part of Tyne & Wear, the last time there was any lying snow was the 9th November 2001, although this had melted to less than half cover by 0900 GMT; there was about a two-thirds cover at 0900 on the 8th though.

Other years since I started taking records (days of snow falling, days of snow lying):

1993: 2, 7

1994: 0, 0

1995: 2, 1

1996: 7, 3

1997: 0, 0

1998: 1, 0

1999: 1, 0

2000: 0, 0

2001: 2, 1

2002: 0, 0

2003: 0, 0

2004: 0, 0

Hence, it can be seen that the frequency of November snows has declined appreciably since I started taking weather records!

In Lancaster, the last November snow cover occurred on the 23rd in 1996, although amusingly, despite the near-absence of snow in November since then, there was lying snow there on the 30th October 2000.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Yes, in 1993 there was an exceptional cold easterly around the 20th-22nd, and in northeast England, temperatures took about a week to recover (indeed there were record-breaking low temperatures around the 24th). So while only the 21st and 22nd produced any snow at my location, the resulting cover stuck around for a week.

November 1996 featured a preponderance of northerly and north-westerly winds, which brought some snow events although the month's only really potent cold snap occurred between the 18th and 24th. My location had an accumulation of snow late on the 20th that stuck around for three days.

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Although i do not remember lying or falling snow in November in any other years except for last year, i recieved approximately 5cm of snow last year from one fall of snow which was lying for three days.

The most annoying thing about the snow events last winter were that unlike the winter before, the frontal systems all decayed before bringing in the milder air so that there were no large falls of snow before milder weather took over again.

Edited by summer blizzard

Posted

quite a lot of people would have experienced lying snow from the snowfall of 18 November, maybe 17th, just forget. Especially in a band from n Wales to the Wash and north of the M4 corridor, about 2-300ft above sea level.

regards

John

Posted

Does anyone have any memories of heavy snow falls in nov/early december?

Because the most snow ive ever seen this early was in fact on the 27th october about 3 years ago. we got about 1.5cm. And I cant really remember any significant acumilation in previouse novembers.

Any one wana dig out some synoptics of good snow events in nov/dec?

Of like 3-6" snow falling widespread and lasting atleast a few days.

Posted
Hi Jed.

Nothing wrong with your post mate, just thought it would be better off in this topic.

TWS has already started some info off which might be of interest ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

ok, no probs. :D ....... only jkin :D

Posted
  • Location: Leicester City Centre (Home) Ashby-De-La-Zouch (Work)
  • Location: Leicester City Centre (Home) Ashby-De-La-Zouch (Work)

It would have been last year, only good snowfall of last winter to be honest, a fair few cm's fell after raining for most of the day; shame the rest of winter wasn't as exciting snow wise.

Posted

I remember the snow in november in 1996 - I remember coming home from school on the isle of wight on the bus. I lived about 1 mile inland and as I travelled home from school the rain turned to sleet, it was about 4pm. By 5.30 pm my dad was on snow watch and the first wet flakes began falling, by 6pm it was snowing and we ended up with around 1.5 inches that evening, I remember going sledging in the dark at the local park but the next morning it thawed, was still a very memorable time - I very much doubt I will see snow like that again in november though :D

• 2 weeks later...
Posted

7cm of wet snow (atfer earlier rain) fell here on the evening of the 17th November last year and surprisingly the cover persisted on the grass until the 21st.

Posted
Believe it or not

28th November 1985!

There was a partial covering on the morning of the 21st of November 1988.

What a November that was. If we had that now I wonder how people would react? I can remember being in the west country with a biting easterly, sub-zero temps which, with windchill, felt like below -10C, and dry snow cutting into my face. I was doing a course on Listers before going to Africa and had to huddle round the pub fire wrapped up in everything I could lay my hands on (apart from the barmaid).

Those were the days ...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

i dont remember ever seeing lying snow in november :(

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Never

Posted

seen lying snow every year except for 2001 in november, it came the first week in december in 2001. Never anything to jump up and shout about but definately good. Seen lying snow a few times in october too, Hallo'ween 2003 was white up here...

• 2 months later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Hot Summer days

Well to give this topic some life again, November 2005 has been the only November I can remember snow lying around here, the main fall was on the early hours of the 25th but snow was visible for several days later.

Posted

Uhm the last easterly we had a dusting, last year we had a few inches but it didn't last long...to be honest we haven't had much at all since 95-96.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

November 25th 2005. About 7cm fell in one go.

Now I come to think of it, about a cm fell in November 2004 but lasted the best part of one hour.