Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Snow League Tables 05/06

Posted
Paul when is the overall snow league table for this winter gonna be done :)

in the post immediately prior to yours, this is what he said!!

'Hi Mate, The Leagues are taking forever this year, so many new members and soo many days with reports, am currently somewhere in the 1st week of March at present :):) But will probably update sometime in April hopefully :) '

I assume you had read that before you posted?

John

Posted

Lol....Thanks John, Have had sooo much going on recently with work and the Wif and Kids away on Holiday, they will be updated soon.

Paul S

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow

Ive done good this year. Better then last year.Weekly im 27th place. Waiting for over all place.

Edited by roberthines

• 2 weeks later...
Posted
Ive done good this year. Better then last year.Weekly im 27th place. Waiting for over all place.

Does that mean you might qualify for the UEFA cup next season? Maybe we should have leagues, with promotion and play-offs, and even fantasy snow leagues: actually, thinking about that last point...

• 4 weeks later...
Posted
  • Location: Abingdon - 55m ASL - Capital of The Central Southern England Corridor of Winter Convectionlessness
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Snow>Freezing Fog; Summer: Sun>Daytime Storms
  • Location: Abingdon - 55m ASL - Capital of The Central Southern England Corridor of Winter Convectionlessness

A few entries from me there - but all for light snow flurries and mostly in other locations (not reflected in the league table). 'Highlight' for Abingdon was a solitary rogue snow shower in early March that, having ignored the force-field, turned the grass a slightly paler shade of green. Bottom again.

Edited by The Enforcer

• 1 month later...
Posted

Damn. The tables have disappeared. Must be something to do with the switch to .tv. I was going to draw up a map with maximum one-off snowfall accumulations plotted across the UK for last winter, to assist me in seeking out suitable locations. I wonder if members would kindly post their observed maximum one-off snowfall totals for last winter (include Nov, March and April for completeness) where measurements were taken in accordance with the Stratos-technique as set out in the thread below?

Posted
to assist me in seeking out suitable locations

Hi Enforcer

I see you found the solution! I lived near wallinford, a mere snow ball's throw from you until a couple of years ago - I deliberately selected the most metologically promising place to move to - higher ground further west - it has been very successful, with both winters being snowy several times, most effective on those annoying 2degrees above freezing days with sleet all day - I know when I get back up home they'll be heaps!

In answer to your question, was in Nov with a single best fall of 5 inches, measured properly on open hardstanding.

good luck!

Posted
In answer to your question, was in Nov with a single best fall of 5 inches, measured properly on open hardstanding.

To: Birdlip,Gloucester

Distance: 49.8 miles

Time: 1 hr 8 min

Looks like a good option - I can get there in no time. This will take some beating.

Edited by The Enforcer

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.
I think TWS is the man then. He appears to have a photographic memory in that respect.

EDIT: I suppose I could just plough through the archive wetterzentrale charts myself.

I could go through a list of the main snow events of the previous winters, ranking them on a 1-5 scale in terms of snow cover production:

1- insignificant, not very widespread

2- significant but localised, or insignificant and widespread

3- significant event affecting some parts of the country, or locally severe

4- significant, affecting most of the country, or severe in some parts

5- severe, affecting most of the country

As well as showing number and event totals, the number of events of a particular intensity are also included, as a winter could otherwise end up looking very snowy from having a lot of localised events, where in reality much of the country misses out.

Snow events from 2000/01 onwards:

2000/01

30th October- temporary snow event, NE Wales, N England, scattered other locations (1)

26th-31st December- northerly outbreak, polar low, 20cm snow in parts of the N & W, 5-10cm generally (4)

18th-21st January- easterly winds, light snow, but not amounting to much for most (2)

Late January- westerlies, but local snowfalls over high ground in S England (1)

4-6 February- easterly snowstorms in Scotland and inland parts of N England, 18cm in Aberdeen (3)

23 February-3 March- N and NE winds, snowstorms for Scotland, NE England. 50cm locally in SW Scotland (4)

17-21 March- E winds, snow showers in the NE, frontal snow event on 21st (2)

18-20 April- northerlies, snow showers (1)

Total- 18

No. of events: 8

(1) type events: 3

(2) type events: 2

(3) type events: 1

(4) type events: 2

(5) type events: 0

2001/02

8/9 November- northerly toppler, thundery wintry showers for N and E (2)

22-23 December- N winds, east coast snow on 22nd, then frontal event on 23rd (3)

25-26 December- NW/N winds, snow showers in N and W (2)

29-30 December- NW/N winds, snow showers in the N generally, particularly Pennines and inland NW England (3)

25 January- brief snow in Scotland (1)

23 February- returning NW'ly, with snow showers in N and W, though lasting accumulations mainly restricted to hills (2)

1, 9 and 14 March- wet snowfalls in places (3- the sum total of three 1s)

Total- 16

No. of events: 10

(1) type events: 5

(2) type events: 3

(3) type events: 2

(4) type events: 0

2002/03

18-21 October- unseasonably early snow in parts of Scotland, sleet/snow on leading edge of front in NW England on the 20th (1)

6-12 December- mostly uneventful cloudy easterly, but a few wintry flurries in places (1)

3-9 January- cold dry with high pressure, but some snowstorms for inland parts of the NE 2nd-4th, and for the SE on the 8th (3)

30-31 January- N winds, east coast snowstorms on the 30th, penetrating down to London, frontal event late on 30th (3)

2-5 February- returning NW'ly, snow showers in N and W, major falls to low levels in northern Scotland and on high ground in S Scotland/N England (3)

8-10 April- snow showers from an E'ly in the SE (1)

Total- 12

No. of events: 6

(1) type events: 3

(2) type events: 0

(3) type events: 3

2003/04

20-22 October- unseasonably early snow reported in places (1)

21-22 December- N winds, most places missed out, but heavy thundery snow showers for some east coast areas during the intervening night (1)

31 December- major wet snowstorm in places, particularly Scotland and N England (3)

Mid January- W winds, marginal wet snow events for SW Scotland and N England, esp. high ground (1)

27-29 January- N winds, general snow, thundersnow in many areas, but warm sectors meant that much of the west got mainly sleet or rain (4)

7-8 February- wet snow, but a warm sector meant that nothing lasted (1)

25-28 February- northerlies and snow showers, esp. N Scotland, Wales, NE England, 10-15cm in places (3)

10 March- frontal snow in places (2)

Total- 16

No. of events: 7

(1) type events: 4

(2) type events: 1

(3) type events: 2

(4) type events: 1

2004/05

18-20 November- backward edge snow event, especially for many parts of England, snow showers for NE Scotland (3)

18-20 December- wet snow in places (1)

24-26 December- returning NW'ly, snow showers in N and W giving snow cover on Christmas Day, but a non-event for much of eastern England (3)

18 January- W winds, but heavy snow showers for N Ireland and SW Scotland (2)

19-28 February- E winds, plenty of wet snowfall, limited accumulations in many low-lying areas, but with Kent together with inland SE Scotland and NE England heavily hit (3)

Early March- some limited falls generally, but significant falls in the SE on the 2nd, and also inland parts of the NE (3)

8 April- N winds, snow showers (1)

Total- 16

No. of events: 7

(1) type events: 2

(2) type events: 1

(3) type events: 4

2005/06

25-28 November- heavy snow in parts of Scotland, Wales + West Country on 25th, and generally on 28th with Midlands heavily affected (2)

Mid December- NE Scotland, Norfolk, from a northerly (1)

27-30 December- snow in most parts, though accumulations generally limited away from eastern parts of the E and SE (3)

5-10 January- wet, sleety stuff for most parts (1)

25-27 January- snow around Hastings (1)

20-27 February- localised snowfalls, but easterly winds generally too warm for anything widespread (1)

1-6 March- northerlies, severe snow for N Scotland, general falls across much of Wales and N England on the 3rd-5th (3)

11-13 March- classic frontal battleground (3)

15-17 March- wet snow in places from an easterly (1)

First third of April- some notable late snowfalls from N/NW winds (2)

Total- 18

No. of events: 10

(1) type events: 5

(2) type events: 2

(3) type events: 3

So 2005/06 actually comes out with a similar total to 2000/01, but tellingly, half of this total comes from snowfalls during March and April. Also, there were no 4s, so taking the country as a whole, more places missed out than in 2000/01.

Edited by Thundery wintry showers

Posted

Very impressive stats there TWS. Lack of a '5' event has been the problem round here.