Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Daffodils

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms

All manner of things are poking there little heads up through the ground, and I even cut the lawn this weekend.

Spring is well and truely here.

Posted
All manner of things are poking there little heads up through the ground, and I even cut the lawn this weekend.

Spring is well and truely here.

. ;) chickens your count don't, Steve

Posted

We have crocuses flowering and huge buds on our camelia but the daffodils are still some way from being ready to flower so just maybe winter or early spring has some tricks to play on us yet.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

I've kept records of the flowering and leafing of various plants since the late 1970s. The earliest date for the first Daffodil here was March 5th in 1989, the latest was April 27th in 1986.

So far this year the Daffodils are about 5cm tall.

T.M

Posted

it's probably something to do with the amount of frost we have had this winter, nothing to do with a sting in the tail for winter.

Andy, winter is over for us down here, maybe the East and North MAY have something, but not us.

For me Spring has sprung.

Posted
Andy, winter is over for us down here, maybe the East and North MAY have something, but not us.

For me Spring has sprung.

Steve does that 'us' mean for me and you or is it an 'us' referring to the Weston/Bristol Channel part of our region?

The best snowfall in the past 2 winters has happened here in late Feb/early March ;) .

On topic - daffodil stalks have grown several cms since Saturday and I saw a wasp this morning ;) .

Posted
Steve does that 'us' mean for me and you or is it an 'us' referring to the Weston/Bristol Channel part of our region?

The best snowfall in the past 2 winters has happened here in late Feb/early March ;) .

On topic - daffodil stalks have grown several cms since Saturday and I saw a wasp this morning ;) .

As in us I mean us in the West Country, fair enough if there is anything wintery heading in this direction, Wiltshire is the place to be.

• 2 weeks later...
Posted
The daffodils are later than they have been recently here. Our neighbour has quite a number of daffs in his garden which faces south but they are barely poking their heads above the soil.

It flies in the face of the Sun story that was published a couple of weeks ago

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2-2006020714,00.html

The mild conditions mean daffs are blooming around the UK.

Some are even starting to wilt as if they are finding temperatures too high.

Lucy Croft, 24, posed with a crop of daffs at the National Trust’s Cothele House in Cornwall.

Head gardener David Bouch said: “It means winter is over and spring is here. I think we’re in for a fantastic spring and summer.”

What a load of diahorrea! :doh:

This story gets daffer by the day :lol: :p

Well the daffs here are not near blossoming yet, so no daffs for St David's Day here in this part of Manchester

Posted

My daffs are not up yet and I have a South facing garden - however my little crocus that I have in the lean-to are up and about to bud. Adds a bit of cheer to this grotty wet weather we are having at the mo :doh:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunder, strong winds
My daffs are not up yet and I have a South facing garden - however my little crocus that I have in the lean-to are up and about to bud. Adds a bit of cheer to this grotty wet weather we are having at the mo :)

The daffs aren't blooming here either, in fact they aren't much higher than they were in early December.

Posted

No daffs here either. Usually they have been and gone by St David's day (Wednesday) but I haven't seen even one. Crocuses are coming out though and snowdrops have been around for a few weeks. No hyacinths yet.

Several shrubs have had tiny new shoots several times this year, but they all keep getting frosted off and die back.

It has been nice that the grass has hardly grown this Winter! Not time to get the mower out yet. :)

Posted

Saw my first brave soul yesterday! Loads of buds ready to break - all we need is a little sunshine.

daff1.jpg

Also some flowering currant

currant1.jpg

Edited by frogesque

Posted

My snowdrops have only just made an appearance in a my garden which is south west facing and on the edge of the Vale of Evesham. I think the daffs wont be out until April at this rate!

Posted
My snowdrops have only just made an appearance in a my garden which is south west facing and on the edge of the Vale of Evesham. I think the daffs wont be out until April at this rate!

Some of my snowdrops are out and others are just popping out through the ground. Crocus and tate 'r' tates are starting to flower.

Posted

Daffs haven't bloomed here yet, in contrast to last year when I saw the first one on the astonishing date of January 17th. Normally they emerge sometime in March- it's rare to have them ready for St David's Day.

Snowdrops are out in places though.

Posted

We had several daffs come out in the area in the last mild spell, but since then all the others have stopped growing!! Its ust too cold!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Hot Summer days

seen some daffodils yesterday, yet to flower though

Posted

My daffodils are yet to flower, they are in bud however.

• 2 weeks later...
Posted
The daffodils are later than they have been recently here. Our neighbour has quite a number of daffs in his garden which faces south but they are barely poking their heads above the soil.

It flies in the face of the Sun story that was published a couple of weeks ago

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2-2006020714,00.html

The mild conditions mean daffs are blooming around the UK.

Some are even starting to wilt as if they are finding temperatures too high.

Lucy Croft, 24, posed with a crop of daffs at the National Trust’s Cothele House in Cornwall.

Head gardener David Bouch said: “It means winter is over and spring is here. I think we’re in for a fantastic spring and summer.”

What a load of diahorrea! :lol:

There was an article in yesterday's Metro saying that a garden show in south Devon had to be postponed for the first time in its history because the daffodils haven't fully blossomed and daffodils made up about a third of the classes that were to be shown.

That Sun story gets more and more bizarre everyday :lol:

Posted

I have one daffodil just open. I have about 49 daffodils tightly shut.

I was in Royal Victoria Park in Bath last week (fabulous place!) and there were swathes of daffodil leaves everywhere. But there wasn't a speck of yellow to be seen. The leaves were up but the buds had only just nosed above ground level.

Haven't seen any forsythia in flower yet, nor flowering currant. Blimey, it's April in a fortnight!

Posted

we have had daffs in flower for about a week now, the snowdrops and crocuses have been out a few weeks, and yesterday we spotted a tulip in one of he planters. There are also primroses in flower in the hedge from a few days ago (later than last winter, they were out before xmas !)

(I'll pop some pix in here later)

Brrrrrrrrrrrr it's cold out there, don't know what these flowers are doing out !

post-2911-1142595164.jpg

post-2911-1142595191.jpg

post-2911-1142595218.jpg

Edited by Verglas

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Hot Summer days

Still in bud near me, normally the roundabouts in Swansea are yellow by now but this year we are still waiting.