Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

A Question Re The 62/63 Winter

Rollo

Posted

For those of us old enough to have experienced the above perhaps someone could explain the following. Around the 17th Dec. a closed area of high pressure formed over the baltic and in succeeding days increased to 1032 mb and was threatened by troughs moving eastwards over the B.I. as these reached the north sea their southern parts were steered South Eastwards,behind these fronts pressure rose rapidly and a new centre of high pressure moved North east by the next morning and this became a ridge to the larger high over Scandinavia. As pressure continued to rise the cold air commenced its westward movement into the B.I. This cold air continued moving both North and West and had reached most areas by the 23rd of the month,only the North and west of scotland still had temperatures at the December average. On the 25th of the month fronts started approaching the NW of scotland and these fronts produced very persistant and heavy snow in southern districts in succeeding days. I remember the Met Offices DWR saying the following "the mid-atlantic trough is disrupting and a new anticyclone is moving North-East at a decreasing speed towards Iceland" . My Question as this is obviously a very rare occurence is what is needed for this to happen again with regards to SST's etc.

For those of us old enough to have experienced the above perhaps someone could explain the following. Around the 17th Dec. a closed area of high pressure formed over the baltic and in succeeding days increased to 1032 mb and was threatened by troughs moving eastwards over the B.I. as these reached the north sea their southern parts were steered South Eastwards,behind these fronts pressure rose rapidly and a new centre of high pressure moved North east by the next morning and this became a ridge to the larger high over Scandinavia. As pressure continued to rise the cold air commenced its westward movement into the B.I. This cold air continued moving both North and West and had reached most areas by the 23rd of the month,only the North and west of scotland still had temperatures at the December average. On the 25th of the month fronts started approaching the NW of scotland and these fronts produced very persistant and heavy snow in southern districts in succeeding days. I remember the Met Offices DWR saying the following "the mid-atlantic trough is disrupting and a new anticyclone is moving North-East at a decreasing speed towards Iceland" . My Question as this is obviously a very rare occurence is what is needed for this to happen again with regards to SST's etc.

Hi rollo -

I havent got time to do a long reply now- However I will have a look later- and post up a few charts from the archives etc--

S

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Cold and snowy!!!!!!!!! :)