Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Where To Put My "wind Sensor"!!??

smich

Posted

Hi All,

Got a nice little weather station for Xmas - German I think (Techno-line WS9035).

The instructions aren't very clear as to where the little windmill should go. It just says "facing the main wind direction in your area" :drunk: . I'll need to connect it with the supplied lead to the Temp sensor (which is being mounted to a NW facing 6 ft fence about 4 metres from the display unit) .

Would my best bet be to add a post to the fence to create the height (is an extra 3 or 4 metres enough?) and then fix the windmill to that? The nearest obsruction would be my bungalow, about 4 metres away?

Cheers for your help!

Smich

Posted
Hi All,

Got a nice little weather station for Xmas - German I think (Techno-line WS9035).

The instructions aren't very clear as to where the little windmill should go. It just says "facing the main wind direction in your area" :drunk: . I'll need to connect it with the supplied lead to the Temp sensor (which is being mounted to a NW facing 6 ft fence about 4 metres from the display unit) .

Would my best bet be to add a post to the fence to create the height (is an extra 3 or 4 metres enough?) and then fix the windmill to that? The nearest obsruction would be my bungalow, about 4 metres away?

Cheers for your help!

Smich

Hi, i mounted my wind sensor on top of my roof this morning, on a 7ft aluminium pole, at this height it is above my chimney and all other obstructions. I had to face mine south so that the device can use that as a reference to the wind direction not sure if yuors is the same?.

Also not if you want a good reading (clear reading) then mount it as high as you can others you can get swirls and eddies around any object close to the sensor. the atual height of the sensor is about 30ft.

top1lq.jpg

Hope that helps,

Andy

Posted

sorry smich cannot help but i asked for a weather station for xmas gave the wife a few good sites and names of some i was interested in.

what i got was a garden thermometer and a garden weather vane :drunk:

Posted

Cheers guys, (sorry to hear about your misfortune Andy - women eh?! :drunk: )

I think I'll add a "mast" to the fence - my only worry is that it might not be sturdy enough in high winds. If the sensor is moving will this affect the reading I wonder?

As for direction - I'm not absolutely sure here, but presume facing the prevailing westerly. The back (eastern) end of my garden is bordered with very high firs, so it's a bit too sheltered anyway from that direction.

Smich

Posted

Hi all,

Forgive the rant here, but I can't believe I'm unable to find a few simple U-shaped brackets to fix my mast to the fence post. It's 25mm in diameter, and all I can get are 21.5mm and 22mm which are just too small.

It'll be the perfect spot - no obstructions, close to base unit etc, but for 2 days running I've been thwarted from setting it all up!!! :angry:

Grrrrr - rant over.

Smich

Posted
Hi all,

Forgive the rant here, but I can't believe I'm unable to find a few simple U-shaped brackets to fix my mast to the fence post. It's 25mm in diameter, and all I can get are 21.5mm and 22mm which are just too small.

It'll be the perfect spot - no obstructions, close to base unit etc, but for 2 days running I've been thwarted from setting it all up!!! :angry:

Grrrrr - rant over.

Smich

Try Halfords- Car Exhaust Clamps are very useful, just seen need 25mm try local exhaust centre might be able to use a hanger for a tail pipe. :angry: Use them for that sort of thing- Great for Scaffold Poles - otherwise flat sheet of metal ,bend round pipe and make your own. :angry:

Posted
Hi all,

Grrrrr - rant over.

Smich

If you're still stuck there's always evil-bay :angry:link. As always though - do your own homework, caveat emptor rules!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Round here there'd be little point sticking it on a pole in the garden cos there's so little wind. Maybe up the vicar's **s* would be more productive :angry:

Posted
Hi all,

It'll be the perfect spot - no obstructions, close to base unit etc, but for 2 days running I've been thwarted from setting it all up!!! :D

Grrrrr - rant over.

Smich

I got all the stuff needed to mount it (i.e u bolts etc) with the actual weather station, so i had everything (bar a rather large pole) to mount it straight away.

With setting mine up i was quite lucky becuase previously there was an airband radio mast (not that large) on my roof which attached to 2 u bolts, luckely for me the pole went into the 2 bolts and it was very easy to install. Although i did have to climb up onto the top roof, from which had quite a hard frost on :o :o :o , not usually scared of heights but it really put the s**t up me .. :):D:)

Posted

i had mine on the garden fence up a 8ft pole, but then i got bored and did this...

itsbig01.jpg

itsbig03.jpg

lol :wallbash: :blush: :doh:

Posted

Nice one TM!

Not sure my heighbours would appreciate that down here in suburban London! They might mistake it for mobile phone transmitter :wallbash:

Smich

Posted

Update!

Woohoo! It's up and working! Had to do a reset to get the signal, but no probs now!

Temp still dropping (2.7c at the moment) and a wind gust of 0.7!!!! Yes it's a clear night!

:lol:

Sorry it's not connected to the net though ;)

Smich

Posted
Update!

Woohoo! It's up and working! Had to do a reset to get the signal, but no probs now!

Temp still dropping (2.7c at the moment) and a wind gust of 0.7!!!! Yes it's a clear night!

:lol:

Sorry it's not connected to the net though ;)

Smich

Good one mate, i take it you have the Weather Display software to enbale you to upload and view the curent readings?

Posted

katie k - fnarr fnarr you so baaaaad! sadly there is no odour sensor powerful enough to work under my duvet as my wife will testify :blink: Mine just has wind speed...come to think of it,...........no let's not go there....

CB, mine doesn't look like it has any kind of connection to a computer, so there's no way I can see to provide live readings to the net, like yours can? If you know different, let me know...

Smich

Posted
katie k - fnarr fnarr you so baaaaad! sadly there is no odour sensor powerful enough to work under my duvet as my wife will testify :blink: Mine just has wind speed...come to think of it,...........no let's not go there....

CB, mine doesn't look like it has any kind of connection to a computer, so there's no way I can see to provide live readings to the net, like yours can? If you know different, let me know...

Smich

No it doesnt appear to be, still looks pretty good though. :):)