Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Outside Sensor Faulty ?

Posted

I have just purchased a ws 3500 Weather Station having problems with the Outdoor Sensor it keeps going off so I have no Temperature Data on the Station, it is mounted on a North Facing outside wall at About 10 feet and it is approx 30 foot away from the Weather Station could it be faulty or is the sensor too far away from the Station, please help ?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme
I have just purchased a ws 3500 Weather Station having problems with the Outdoor Sensor it keeps going off so I have no Temperature Data on the Station, it is mounted on a North Facing outside wall at About 10 feet and it is approx 30 foot away from the Weather Station could it be faulty or is the sensor too far away from the Station, please help ?

Hi Ian

I have the WS2300 and it says that transmission distance in open field is approx 100mtrs and i would think the WS3500 is similar so it could be that something is blocking the transmission, i would try moving it much closer, even if its not an ideal spot it would at least prove a point as to wether it works or not, also change the batteries to rule them out.

I hope that helps

BU

Posted
Hi Ian

I have the WS2300 and it says that transmission distance in open field is approx 100mtrs and i would think the WS3500 is similar so it could be that something is blocking the transmission, i would try moving it much closer, even if its not an ideal spot it would at least prove a point as to wether it works or not, also change the batteries to rule them out.

I hope that helps

BU

Thanks for the advice I think it is a blocking of Transmission as the Data came back on after approx 30 minutes so it does work probabally does need to be closer to the Weather Station.

Posted

mines a ws2300 and running wireless the data transmission is worse than useless :) and it is only about 20ft away (but through 2ft thick walls :) ) it is always broken transmission so wired is my option :o

Posted

If it has a solar cell it may not be getting enough light, i have all mine facing in a southely direction so that they can get all th elight, it also needs to be quite exposed as well.

If it is not solar powered then they may be something interfering with it, if you imagine line of sight from the console to the sensor what exactly is in its way?

Posted

Bah! i go and reply to this a few days ago and everything is hunky dory, but today it looks like my main sensor has given up the ghost :whistling: every reading that comes from outside is flat lining :(

checked the wire, seems ok, going hunting for batteries to try the wire less option to see if i get any readings that way... if not i know it is a replacement sensor required :(

could cry :(

Posted

I would move the sensor closer. I found that when I had my WS3600, the 100m transmission claim was rather optimistic and I had many problems. Thats not to say La Crosse aren't good its just that I had problems with it for my location.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow , thunderstorms and wind

Hi Paula,

Gosh, that is awfull. It is like loosing a member of the family.

I wish I could offer you some advice. If it was me I would search through Google and see if there is anything you could do that you have not thought of already. you never know.

Hope you get sorted.

• 1 year later...
Posted
Bah! i go and reply to this a few days ago and everything is hunky dory, but today it looks like my main sensor has given up the ghost :D every reading that comes from outside is flat lining :(

checked the wire, seems ok, going hunting for batteries to try the wire less option to see if i get any readings that way... if not i know it is a replacement sensor required :(

could cry :(

What was the result of this - I'm assuming by flatlining you mean you get dashes instead of any data - I had this problem on a device that is less than a year old. It started with one or two readings and has now got to the stage where everything has gone. My device is wireless and I just replaced the batteries in the sensor end and it seems to be OK now (after doing the wireless reset and waiting about 10 - 15 minutes). The batteries (Duracell) gave a reading of 1.48 volts which did not seem too bad to me, whereas the new ones gave 1.61 volts and the device is about 60 feet away through a standard cavity wall.