Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Last Great Beastie From The Eastie Feb 1991

Guest charlton-north downs

Guest charlton-north downs

Hi Folks

Just looking at the Moscow temperatures about to arrive there, it got me thinking about Feb 1991, The last prolonged freeze with heavy snow . Moscow temperatures were incredibly low at that time maybe a sign for days to come if it stays that way now. Anyway late Jan 91 started to get cold and main-land Europe was freezing, eventually cold easterlies arrived on our shores and they were extremly cold.It was three or four days before it got very cold with temperatures hovering around freezing then it got even colder and snow showers arrived .Central London the heat island of the Uk stayed below freezing for 6 days the best/worst day was max of -4.4 min of -7 and 4 inches of dry snow on that day. There was eventually 6ins of leval snow in central London and 12ins on the North Downs,I took my two year old son to play in it and he dissappeared in a snow drift.Can you imagine if London/Glasgow got those temperatures for 6 days the newspapers and this forum would go into melt down.At the end of the cold spell there was very heavy rain in London but at Biggin Hill the snow storm was one of the worst I can remember with 5ins of snow in three hours, the next couple of days a thaw set in and the snow was all gone and it led to mild spring as far as I can remember.

Regards

Hi Folks

Just looking at the Moscow temperatures about to arrive there, it got me thinking about Feb 1991, The last prolonged freeze with heavy snow . Moscow temperatures were incredibly low at that time maybe a sign for days to come if it stays that way now. Anyway late Jan 91 started to get cold and main-land Europe was freezing, eventually cold easterlies arrived on our shores and they were extremly cold.It was three or four days before it got very cold with temperatures hovering around freezing then it got even colder and snow showers arrived .Central London the heat island of the Uk stayed below freezing for 6 days the best/worst day was max of -4.4 min of -7 and 4 inches of dry snow on that day. There was eventually 6ins of leval snow in central London and 12ins on the North Downs,I took my two year old son to play in it and he dissappeared in a snow drift.Can you imagine if London/Glasgow got those temperatures for 6 days the newspapers and this forum would go into melt down.At the end of the cold spell there was very heavy rain in London but at Biggin Hill the snow storm was one of the worst I can remember with 5ins of snow in three hours, the next couple of days a thaw set in and the snow was all gone and it led to mild spring as far as I can remember.

Regards

Yeah, forecast says there is a huge cold air "beast" coming from east. It is goint to be something about -20...-30 in finland and notrthern Sweden :blink: It's going to go to Central Europe too

exciting...

Edited by Suomi

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

I remember hearing that Durham had some 40cm of snow on that occasion.

My first ever recollection of snow was when I was living in South Shields, and the snow was at least as deep as the length of my hand, and stuck around for over a week.

I recall that it was the winter just before we moved house. According to my parents, we moved in May 1991. It does strongly fit into place.

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

As i was only two during that event, i am unable to remember it although it does sound very interesting.

As for your trip to Moscow, within two days upper air temperatures will be around -25C and due to the fact that high pressure is present, you can expect an inversion which means that you should expect temperatures of between -30C and -40C by day, by night you may reach -50C.

Just a bit too cold for me.

• 2 weeks later...
Posted

Ah February 1991, I was just old enough to enjoy and remember it.

I remember being in school during the morning, being really excited because all the teachers were talking about the snow we were going to get! I kept looking out the window all morning and sure enough it started snowing about mid day. If I remember rightly it snowed here all afternoon and evening, the journey home took 2 hours as opposed to the normal 20 minutes. Great fun, mustve had about 5 inches in the end, and the school was closed the next day so we built snowmen in our back garden. I wish we could get something like that again... :D

Posted

Loved the snow of 91. I was at an age to appreciate it. I remember trying to walk to school in blizzard conditions and it taking me twice as long to walk the distance. I met a couple of friends from school on their way back from school - school was closed for years 1-3 (7-9 in now days talk!) I was in the 2nd year. The school was closed for a full week, and the following week was half term - lovely!

Went sledging at Avery Hill Park, and spent hours in the garden building snow men. Never in a million years dreamed that would be the last decent snow fall I would see for 16+ years!

Posted
Never in a million years dreamed that would be the last decent snow fall I would see for 16+ years!

well i hope not but it might be a lot longer yet unless the current winters start to do a turn round

I am getting quiet concerned that we may never see 6inchs of snow in this are again :lol:

Posted
Loved the snow of 91. I was at an age to appreciate it. I remember trying to walk to school in blizzard conditions and it taking me twice as long to walk the distance. I met a couple of friends from school on their way back from school - school was closed for years 1-3 (7-9 in now days talk!) I was in the 2nd year. The school was closed for a full week, and the following week was half term - lovely!

Went sledging at Avery Hill Park, and spent hours in the garden building snow men. Never in a million years dreamed that would be the last decent snow fall I would see for 16+ years!

16 years!!!!!! :lol: i never thought it was that long since we saw decent snow. Blimey we really are starved of the stuff SR. anyway 1991 i was 29 and living in Abbey Wood. the snow was great but it never seemed to last i had to drive to henlow in bedfordshire/herts every day for work and remember getting to the office every morning exhausted with the atrocious travel conditions