Cold?
IGNORED

Watching The Bird Life

The PIT

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

I saw on teletext that today we're supposed to be recording the number of birds in the garden. Today it was easy none and I looked out later and again none. Later on I did see one Hen Blackbird but that was it. Got to admit it's the first time I've haven't seen any birds in the garden.

I wonder if the decline is linked to the decrease in insect life or is there something else happening.

Posted

Yea, the birds know it's the bird watch weekend so are staying hidden :lol: .

You're supposed to spend an hour watching and noting down the birds you see. IMO the best hour to do so here would be either 8-9am, 12-13.00 or 16-17.00 which are by far the busiest feeding times.

Posted

Ah! That time again is it?

A pair of blackbirds last year. I used to enjoy watching them pulling up worms in the morning. Rarely see them this year, next doors ****** cat probably doesn't help!

Saw a falcon in the Avon gorge the other day diving (Underneath the bridge :lol: ).

Sorry cat people -_-

• 3 months later...
Posted
  • Location: North Kenton (Tyne-and-Wear)6miles east from newcastle airport
  • Location: North Kenton (Tyne-and-Wear)6miles east from newcastle airport

Morning everyone

Looks like the starlings are back here in the north east in force.absolutely loads of them ,have`nt seen that many for ages.Blackbirds still arriving in the garden [must be about 4 pairs ]spuggies plentiful feeding at the bird table and blue tits as well,also a couple of goldfinches ,

Nigel

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Seem to be a few more around mainly Sparrows with the odd Blackbird.

Saw some Thrushes the other week in the park.

Sadly the Swifts which used to be huge in numbers are now down to the odd few.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunder, strong winds

well, we've got the lot here. Starlings, thrushes, robins, doves, herons (!), blackbirds, buzzards, owls, finches... the list goes on. And I have 5 cats!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

both our cats died over the winter and there are very few around now. i've seen more birds in the garden this spring than ever, and more different ones too. we used only to get blackbirds and sparrows, but now we have greenfinches, blue tits, thrushes, robins, and there's even a wren with a nest in a bush. makes me think twice about getting another cat.

Posted

Reading some cat psychology I now know not to look at them. They misinterpret this as affection. I like animals, that don't want to eat me and I like those that wouldn't think twice solong as they're behind a fence. I don't like the neighbours' cat using our garden as it's toilet. Just read what it say's on Catsan.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?
Reading some cat psychology I now know not to look at them. They misinterpret this as affection. I like animals, that don't want to eat me and I like those that wouldn't think twice solong as they're behind a fence. I don't like the neighbours' cat using our garden as it's toilet. Just read what it say's on Catsan.

don't start on about animal excrement again. i trod on another dog turd yesterday. if i'd found the owner quickly i'd have buried him/her in concrete under the garage with an acroprop embedded in their chest.

Posted

I have seen loads in my garden, and at 4 this morning the dawn chorus was deafening! had a woodpecker on my feeder yesterday morning, but as soon as I went to get my camera it flew off :p I have managed to get some of other birds though :p never really took any notice of birds until i got my camera.