Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Snow Reports 1st, 2nd & 3rd February

SP1986

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

I think given that there is a few snow grains floating around from place to place then it might be worth opening one of these.

To kick off, there have been sporaric crystal of something, presumably snow.

Posted

Amazingly enough it's snowing in Bradford, or, to paraphrase the immortal lines from Star Trek "it's snow, Jim, but not as we know it".

I think it's actually just the law of large numbers. It's been cloudy for so darn long that a few random molecules of water have finally banged into each other in sufficient number, and whilst it's very cold (-4C at 12h locally), to produce something which, if there were several trillion others, might constitute a very light snow shower.

No doubt though, under the single catch-all word we have at our disposal, it is snow.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

I was amazed to see a five-minute flurry of snow in Leeds at around 12:45pm. At first I thought I was seeing things, but no, it was definitely snow.

Posted
Amazingly enough it's snowing in Bradford, or, to paraphrase the immortal lines from Star Trek "it's snow, Jim, but not as we know it".

I think it's actually just the law of large numbers. It's been cloudy for so darn long that a few random molecules of water have finally banged into each other in sufficient number, and whilst it's very cold (-4C at 12h locally), to produce something which, if there were several trillion others, might constitute a very light snow shower.

No doubt though, under the single catch-all word we have at our disposal, it is snow.

Mulling on this, and I'm quite sure the OED hasn't had to think about this, it's a case of singular snow rather than the normal plural snow...

Very much a case of heavy no with a strange trace of snow added in. What's the word for snow mixed with no? Snonow? Then you could have Snownono...

Edited by Stratos Ferric

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.
Mulling on this, and I'm quite sure the OED hasn't had to think about this, it's a case of singular snow rather than the normal plural snow...

Very much a case of heavy no with a strange trace of snow added in. What's the word for snow mixed with no? Snonow? Then you could have Snownono...

snow know unfortunately... snono now (it could be) Who nos er snows..

As for singular snow, that ruins your theory of darn long cloudy with modelcular water vapour, I think you may have to design a new theory for this...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy

Snow here (frozen fog falling) and heavy enough to 'whiten' the fields' from about 220m ASL. The trees above this 'line' are also 'heavily Hawed' giving a very wintry look to the tops. Could the air above the inversion be having it's ;lower levels 'chilled' leading to the condensation of the moisture which is falling through icy air?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.
Snow here (frozen fog falling) and heavy enough to 'whiten' the fields' from about 220m ASL. The trees above this 'line' are also 'heavily Hawed' giving a very wintry look to the tops. Could the air above the inversion be having it's ;lower levels 'chilled' leading to the condensation of the moisture which is falling through icy air?

Hi all,

Very cold today. Temp below freezing all day. Light snow grains or frozen drizzle at the moment.

C

Posted

Same here, snow grains on and off from late morning. Top tempertature has been around -0.9oc today. really wierd as there is ice where puddles have formed but no frost at all. The air must be very dry.

Posted

You're on the wrong side of the ocean for snow. Currently blizzard conditions with 40-60 cm of snow expected in total across most of southeast Newfoundland. One station there recently reported -1 C, S+ and winds ENE 90 km/hr gusting to 130 km/hr. 968 mb low off to the south heading for Iceland. Nova Scotia received 30-40 cm snow in the past 24 hours from this storm.

Posted

well, given the lack of thread for today, i shall put it in here. we have snizzle folks in south london! first noticed on my way to work at 0910 in forest hill, se23 then continued until i reached work in dulwich at 0920. looking out the window now, if i strain my eyes i can just about see it still. how exciting! no chance of it turning to rain at the moment at -1.5oC :p

Edited by tasty_snacks

Posted
Extremely (and I mean extremely) light snow grains were falling here earlier.

same here in Barnwood (Gloucester) you really have to look hard to see it :p

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, hot sunny weather

Very fine light snow here for the last 5 mins

Posted

We've had a few grains of light, crystal type precipitation here this morning....................

ok I put in the correct word to make me look like I know what I'm talking about.....................what!!!

Posted

Seems to started to widely at the same time, very light snow here for last 10mins, with just the odd (well maybe 10 in total!) proper snowflakes.