Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Eclipses In 2006

A Gower Guy

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Hot Summer days

There are 2 Lunar Eclipses and 2 solar eclipses this year

Penumbral Lunar Eclipse: 14th March, which will be visible in the UK, the greatest the eclipse will be at is 23:47 GMT

Total Solar Eclipse: 29th March, 10-30% (Partial Eclipse) Visible in the UK, greatest to the SE around 10:30 GMT (11:30 BST)

Partial Lunar Eclipse: 7th September, Will be visible from the UK from moonrise (the eclipse will at its mid to late stage)

Annular Solar Eclipse: 22nd September, NOT VISIBLE AT ALL IN THE UK

Edited by button04

Posted

Lunar Eclipse Primer should explain things better.

Me is off to Turkey (Side) for the total solar eclipse on the 29th. March :wacko: Will be looking for some good forecasts for there so put a shilling in the weather machine and start cranking guys!

Posted

It'll probably be snowing Froggy!!

Posted
It'll probably be snowing Froggy!!

Two words - and the second one is, "off!" :wacko:

Posted

Fingers X'd my moneys gone through and I'll also be in Turkey watching the Eclipse either from Side or Manavagat (hoping personally its Manavagat).

Only 48 days or so now until it begins, cant believe how fast the event is approaching, still got plenty to buy and prepare for lol.

Posted
Thanks for that button, but a question, what's a Penumbral Eclipse??

It's, in simple terms, where the moon is only in partial shadow, not full shadow, so it slighty darkens, and is barely noticeable compared to a full eclipse.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Surprises

Me is off to Turkey (Side) for the total solar eclipse on the 29th. March :) Will be looking for some good forecasts for there so put a shilling in the weather machine and start cranking guys!

Side is a great place - me and the weather widow went there a few years ago to get away from it all - stayed at the Kentia appt's, had a brilliant time - really friendly people - reminded me of Greece before they joined they got euro's, but that's another story :)

No worries about the weather for an eclipse- if it's cloudy it'll be a sureal experience, believe me I went to Cornwall for the last one :D never forget it.

I'm green with envy since you've managed to arrange a trip over there. We've been looking on the net for a way to get out there and stay on a limitted budget, everyone's upped the prices for the eclipse. I'd love to take my other half there. You don't happen to know of any deals do you?

Any way have a fab, memorable time - i gather there's quite a convention happening over there - enjoy :)

Posted

Me is off to Turkey (Side) for the total solar eclipse on the 29th. March :D Will be looking for some good forecasts for there so put a shilling in the weather machine and start cranking guys!

I'm going to be in Cyprus, which I think is just off the 100% eclipse track...but it should be fun...I hope.

Posted
Penumbral Lunar Eclipse: 14th March, which will be visible in the UK, the greatest the eclipse will be at is 23:47 GMT

This is what a Penumbral eclipse looks like

Could easily be mistaken from light cloud cover in the sky.

Posted

Any Eclipse for me is always intresting, wether its Penumbral lunar, Partial Eclipses, Total or Annual, there all fascinating to watch as its the only time people really appreciate that the Moon and Earth are in orbit (Unless people usually note the position of the Moon and planets in the night sky as I do ever week).

Its not everyday we get to see a Penumbral Eclipse, and thinking about it..the next time the Moon takes that "Turn" It'll be blocking the sun from the south Atlantic to

Asia.

Plus with it being Solar minimum at the moment there'll be few sunspots, but im hoping there'll be some on the edge of the Sun or just behind so we can get and see a good Corona.

Posted

I received another camera lens on Saturday so haven't had a lot of time to play with it but this was a snap of the full moon 12/13 Feb to gauge relative sizes. Lens cost a packet but that's what tax rebates are for :)

Sigma 500mm prime AF apo tele, f1:7.2, (800mm equivalent on a 35mm film SLR) shot was taken through quite a lot of fog so excuse details.

Full frame reduced to 800pix width to fit board

500fm1.jpg

Full resolution (100%) cropped detail

500fm1a.jpg

This should give a good compromise between limb details and still get the full corona. I'll also have a film SLR and some of my other glassware as backup and my friend will have a pocket digi for wider field shots that should get Mercury and Venus in the frame. Just need that sun to shine!

Totality at Side will be ~3mins 45sec

Edited by frogesque

• 1 month later...
Posted

Penumbral Lunar Eclipse tonight, but the weather may spoil this event though

Posted

looks like itll be clouded out here, though im not giving up hope until the maximum of the eclipse passes.

on the 22nd however the Moon will be at its lowest elevation for 55 years, barely risig above the horizon in the Shetland Islands, so thatll be something to look forward too, as well as the Total Eclipse on the 29th.

Posted

Did not see anything here either, could hardly see down the road because of the mist/fog, well at least it weren't a total eclipse.

Posted

The night before the luna eclipse was clear here, the night of the eclipse cloudy, last night nice clear big moon could be seen :doh:

Posted

We are now, 5 days away from the solar eclipse.

From the UK, it will only be a small partial with the largest coverage by the moon over the sun in the SE of England. The eclipse starts about

Maximum obscuration about 10.40am (BST) and ends about 12.25pm (BST). Maximum eclipse occurs between 11.25am and 11.40am depending on your location

Aberdeen: 10.33% Max: 11.38am

Belfast: 8.96% Max: 11.31am

Birmingham: 14.10% Max: 11.32am

Cardiff: 13.65% Max: 11.29am

Glasgow: 9.47% Max: 11.34am

Leeds: 13.32% Max: 11.32am

Liverpool: 12.28% Max: 11.32am

London: 16.85% Max: 11.33am

Londonderry: 7.67% Max: 11.30am

Manchester: 12.91% Max: 11.33am

Newcastle: 12.32% Max: 11.35am

Norwich: 17.27% Max: 11.36am

Plymouth: 13.64% Max: 11.27am

St Helier: 16.89% Max: 11.27am

Southampton: 16.01% Max: 11.30am

Sadly, there will be no notable effects, it needs an eclipse of 50% or over as happened with last October.

The next UK solar eclipse is on the 1st of August 2008.

Then a sunrise eclipse on the 4th of January 2011.

Then the big eclipse on the 20th of March 2015, where the UK will have an 80% and greater partial.

Here's hoping for clear skies this time next week!

Posted
Then the big eclipse on the 20th of March 2015, where the UK will have an 80% and greater partial.

Here's hoping for clear skies this time next week!

A Nasa (sunearth) map of the 20-3-15 eclipse

The 2015 eclipse will be the best partial eclipse for most of us since 1999, but back to next weeks eclipse, I have a telescope and one black and one white plastic attachments for viewing solar eclipses safely by refecting the suns disk and anything that obscures it, but i'm wondering how good this option is and what to do (lost documentation :D )

Posted

if you have a telescope, you MUST use a Baader or any other professional solar Filter, if the plastic "attachments" are those screw-in filters that go over the eyepiece then throw them away ASAP as these can and will crack due to the suns heat, and if your unfortunate to be looking in the eyepiece at the time...well...bye bye eyesight, I cant stress how important it is to have solar filter attached over the front of the scope, if unsure..ask.

Posted

all you people of to Side, have a great time and i hope you have clear sky's. i had my honeymoon at Side

16 years ago, it was a great time. Don't forget to visit the Amphitheatre and bring back plenty of photos

of the event. Have a great time.

Posted

http://www.exploratorium.edu/eclipse/2006/index.html

The above site has a webcast of the eclipse in Turkey from 9:30UT thats at 10:30 here in the UK, worth a look