Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Weather Stations

Pab

Posted

Hi Chaps, im due a bit of back pay at the end of the month, and have been toying with the idea of getting myself a weather station. I could probably run to £500 - £600 and would prefer one that will download to my pc when im out.

Anyone have any suggestions on a good make/model, any tips on what and what not to get. Idealy, would like one with an integrated lightning detector, as well as the usual stuff.

Thanks a lot.

Pab

Posted

Hi Pab i have the Oregon scientific WMR928 and i have had it for about 2 years and you can run it with weather display which downloads to your pc.

Posted

Hi Pab,

I would also recommend the WMR928NX. This you can get for about £330 or you can get the american version, the WMR968, from ebay. I've done this and it cost me £150 but you don't have any warranty, so if something goes wrong you will have to buy a new part(s). The best station you can get is the Davis VP2 but they are very expensive.

You won't able to get a weather station with an intergrated lightning detector but what you can do is either buy a boltek from here: http://www.meteorologica.co.uk/product.asp...teria=&PT_ID=82

or get a one wire lightning detector from here: http://www.hobby-boards.com/catalog/produc...&products_id=65

The one wire lightning detector is a more diy job as you have to make a cover for the detector and then wire it up. From what I've read it can also be a bit sensitive, ie it can pick up interferance from things being switched on and off if it is earthed to the house electrics. It is cheap though and does do the job. The boltek is a more out of the box detector.

Hope that helps.

PS: Could one of the mods move this to the misc weather as it will probably get more of a response there. Thanks.

Posted
Hi Chaps, im due a bit of back pay at the end of the month, and have been toying with the idea of getting myself a weather station. I could probably run to £500 - £600 and would prefer one that will download to my pc when im out.

Anyone have any suggestions on a good make/model, any tips on what and what not to get. Idealy, would like one with an integrated lightning detector, as well as the usual stuff.

Thanks a lot.

Pab

For that money, the best buy has to be the DAVIS weather station (wireless) and you can plug into your computer. John Holmes has one so best person to ask about that particular station. :wallbash:

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Well if you're going for a Davis you can ship it from abroad and get it a lot cheaper but it's a lot of hassle.

Posted
Well if you're going for a Davis you can ship it from abroad and get it a lot cheaper but it's a lot of hassle.

You carnt ship it from any 'Registered' Davis dealers as they wont ship it to the u.k, instead you have to buy it over here, believe me i tried to get one from davis in america (and all the retailers) and they wouldnt ship it to the u.k.

Posted
You carnt ship it from any 'Registered' Davis dealers as they wont ship it to the u.k, instead you have to buy it over here, believe me i tried to get one from davis in america (and all the retailers) and they wouldnt ship it to the u.k.

Now how did I get one then silly billy. :):)

Posted
Now how did I get one then silly billy. :):)

Where did you get it from? - becuase i sent Davis an email about this and its agianst their policy if US retialers are shipping them to the u.k.

Edited by ¤CloudBurst¤

Posted
Where did you get it from? - becuase i sent Davis an email about this and its agianst their policy if US retialers are shipping them to the u.k.

From here. http://weatherstation.net/index.php

However it was a very difficult frustrating operation. Also a some of the parts were faulty. The Weather Envoy was the American version which I still have. At one point the manager suggested I shouldn't have bought them from his company. My retort was why do advertise if you don't want Business from the UK. I don't recommend it.

Posted
From here. http://weatherstation.net/index.php

However it was a very difficult frustrating operation. Also a some of the parts were faulty. The Weather Envoy was the American version which I still have. At one point the manager suggested I shouldn't have bought them from his company. My retort was why do advertise if you don't want Business from the UK. I don't recommend it.

Yes, believe me if i could have bought one from overseas i wouldnt have a la crosse now thats for sure :D;) . Again Davis just trying to make as much money as possible, EBAY is a good palce to look, but like you said if anything goes wrong or needs replacing it all needs to go back to america, which is gonna cost quite a bit.

Edited by ¤CloudBurst¤

Posted

What you need is a friend to buy you one from the states. If you stick to cabled you'll be fine.

• 2 weeks later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?
Hi Pab,

I would also recommend the WMR928NX. This you can get for about £330 or you can get the american version, the WMR968, from ebay. I've done this and it cost me £150 but you don't have any warranty, so if something goes wrong you will have to buy a new part(s). The best station you can get is the Davis VP2 but they are very expensive.

You won't able to get a weather station with an intergrated lightning detector but what you can do is either buy a boltek from here: http://www.meteorologica.co.uk/product.asp...teria=&PT_ID=82

or get a one wire lightning detector from here: http://www.hobby-boards.com/catalog/produc...&products_id=65

The one wire lightning detector is a more diy job as you have to make a cover for the detector and then wire it up. From what I've read it can also be a bit sensitive, ie it can pick up interferance from things being switched on and off if it is earthed to the house electrics. It is cheap though and does do the job. The boltek is a more out of the box detector.

Hope that helps.

PS: Could one of the mods move this to the misc weather as it will probably get more of a response there. Thanks.

I got a wmr928 recently from a German shop on ebay for about £240 which works fine apart from the wrong mains connector and the time won't stay set. But it's good otherwise.