Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Vantage Pro 2 Question

Posted

The laminate floor dog has now chewed through the cables connecting my integrated sensor suite to my office. I've temporarily repaired them by using some connecting blocks and wrapping it in self-amalgamating tape, but eventually water will get it, so I want to replace the cables. Do you think normal telephone cable would suffice or do you think the Davis cables have some special quailty? I could, of course as Davis themselves, but I think they'd tell me their cables (which are expensive) are a lot better.

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
The teddy bear dog has now chewed through the cables connecting my integrated sensor suite to my office. I've temporarily repaired them by using some connecting blocks and wrapping it in self-amalgamating tape, but eventually water will get it, so I want to replace the cables. Do you think normal telephone cable would suffice or do you think the Davis cables have some special quailty? I could, of course as Davis themselves, but I think they'd tell me their cables (which are expensive) are a lot better.

Standard Phone cable will do fine. I would try feeding your dog more often though it would save on cables.

Posted

If you look on the cable sheath, it will often have the cable type printed there somewhere. I've no idea what cable you have but you've mentioned telephone cable so I would suggest external grade Cat 5e becuase normal cable will rust and rot eventually, even breakdown under UV from the sun. I bought some to do some external telephone wiring on a 300m reel for about £100, you should be able to find shorter lengths on the Internet. Something like this: http://www.betterbox.co.uk/acatalog/Produc..._Grade_441.html.

I can't see that trying some el-cheapo telephone cable (which is actually Cat 3 cable) will do any harm. The worst thing that will happen is that you have to replace it again in a couple of months.

Posted
The teddy bear dog has now chewed through the cables connecting my integrated sensor suite to my office. I've temporarily repaired them by using some connecting blocks and wrapping it in self-amalgamating tape, but eventually water will get it, so I want to replace the cables. Do you think normal telephone cable would suffice or do you think the Davis cables have some special quailty? I could, of course as Davis themselves, but I think they'd tell me their cables (which are expensive) are a lot better.

Well you should have wireless then. :) B)