Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Last Time You Saw Lying Snow In April?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms
April 17th 2008, around 7cm-10cm of lying snow. I can't remember having seen any lying snow before this late in the year in my lifetime. My Grandma said it was the deepest snow for years this late in April <_< .

Thats really good that, you were really lucky as that band that you had came here but gave rain!!!

Though we did have upto 12cm here on the 6th April.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Although there has been falling snow every April except 2007 and 2004, the last lying snow was on 14th April 1999 during heavy snow falling at the time. 9cm settled and after that, it was a glorious day with the snow gradually melting. Before that it would have to be 12th April 1998 where there were snowy patches in places on Easter morning.

• 7 months later...
Posted

Well, overnight on the 14th/15th April 1998 we had 37cms here. In 50 years I've only seen 4 or 5 heavier falls and it all fell in about 8 hours. In 1963 there were patches of snow to be found until the end of April and no snow fell after the first week of March.

Pete

1998 Generally extremely wet - the wettest since 1818 over England and Wales, and cold (the coldest since 1989). An average of 138mm across England and Wales. Dull in places too.Widespread and exceptionally severe flooding across the Midlands and East Anglia on Maundy Thursday 9th: a narrow but slowly moving yet very active front, fed by a cold NE airflow, became unexpectedly stationary, giving large amounts of rain on the 9-10th: 77 mm at Pershore (Worcs.) The rivers Leam and Avon were particularly badly affected, leading to flooding in Warwick and Leamington town centres, and great traffic disruption as flooding affected the A46 and M40 (with up to 3' water in some places). Further away, the Nene flooded the Northampton area, after 54 mm of rain, with 48 mm falling between 09.30 and 22.30. (There is some argument that poor water management and poor drainage contributed to the extent of the flooding of the Avon, Nene, Leam, and Cherwell.) Six deaths. After the depression moved east, the cold air trying to push south then won, and there were widespread snow showers midmonth to the 15th, leading to a "white Easter" in some places. North Wales saw particularly heavy snowfalls on the 10-11, and northern England on the 14-15th. Mold had 37 cm on the night of the 140-15th. -9.0C recorded at Altnharra on the morning of the 10th. A warm day on the 22nd, though: 23.8 at Rickmansworth. It was also very wet on the Scottish east coast. This year, April was colder than March, for the first time since 1990.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms & Snow.

The only time we had snow this year was in April, a slight dusting

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

6th April 2008 everything white, great for even larger teapot, even lasted 2 hours, amazing 2 hours

post-6661-1228853546_thumb.jpg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

april snow seems to be a fairly regular thing..but the last time i can remember lying snow and i mean proper stuff not a dusting thats gone by one minute past nine..is late april 1981..also i can remember lying snow in may 1979..any other for may?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

The last time I saw lying snow on April was, like many others, on the 6th in 2008, though in Norwich there wasn't a lot on the ground at any point. The last time I saw a significant (1 inch or more) covering was on the 12th April 1998.

Cleadon did have a 2-inch fall on the 7th that I missed due to being in Norwich (their deepest in April since at least 1981), though I more than made up for that this November.

I have seen a smattering of snow on the ground in May once- a heavy snow shower on the evening of 6 May 1997 briefly coated some surfaces, but that was only one of two occasions when I observed wintry precipitation in May- the other being sleety showers on the evening of 11 May 1995.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

i can remember may 1979..must have been early may..but getting up for school opening the curtains and hey presto there was a good 2-3 inches of lying snow that had fallen during the night.

Edited by cheeky_monkey

Posted

April 6th 2008 here. Didn't measure the actual snow depth but I would say it was around an inch and a half thick, so not bad! Had pretty much all gone by mid-afternoon. Prior to this, the last lying snow was April 5th 1989, which gave about 3 inches and most was still on the ground at the end of the day. A lot melted during the following night, though.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.
i can remember may 1979..must have been early may..but getting up for school opening the curtains and hey presto there was a good 2-3 inches of lying snow that had fallen during the night.

That sounds entirely believable given the synoptics:

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/archive/ra/19...00119790502.gif

I recall another member also mentioning a while ago that parts of the West Country were hit by falling and lying snow in early May 1979.

Posted

Last time the was any lying snow was april 17th 2008 which was the latest april snow falling/snowfall here since april 28th 2002... which gave a slight dusting of hail but not snow so that doesn`t really count,so we have to go back to not april but May 7th 1997 with snow, hail falling and lying.

Edited by Snowyowl9

• 1 month later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

i've seen small amounts of lying snow during April in various years.

i would say that on average snow falls and lies for at least a day or so at our altitude once every 3 or four years.

however nothing has ever come close to the fall we had late April 1981.

certainly the heaviest April snow storm i have experienced.

started on the Thursday evening and lasted until Saturday lunchtime

well over a foot of snow fell with some drifting

all roads into town blocked.

strange thing was that only a few days earlier it was quite warm and spring like and less than a week later it was very warm for the time of year.

if not the heaviest fall of snow during the early 80's it would certainly go down as one of the most unusual.

Posted

April 6th 2008 for me too! I rememeber it becuase the snow was EXTREMELY fluffy for some reason! Although it did melt quite quickly due to the increasing strength of the sun at that time of year. I think there was about 2 inches where i am.