Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

May 3rd Chase Reports & Pictures

Posted

Well what can i say about today other than my best chase ever. We left Altus and got to Childress early to await initiation, we were joined by a few chasers and have now formed a Chase Convoy for the rest of the week, really nice guys Ryan Mcnamara a Skywarn Spotter from Arizona and two guys from Florida.

post-24-1146728545.jpg - Chasers Priming Target Area in Childress

post-24-1146728602_thumb.jpg - Skywarn Car with Matt & Pete

post-24-1146728656_thumb.jpg - Ryan Mcnamaras Bewick - This guy sleeps in here for 3 weeks

The first cells fired up down near Lubbock and it was off we go at about 430pm

post-24-1146728730_thumb.jpg - On the Chase towards Guthrie

post-24-1146728788_thumb.jpg - Mammatus from the Anvil on the now Supercell down near Guthrie (TX)

As we got closer the Supercell was taking on the classic Mature shape with all the features

post-24-1146728866_thumb.jpg - Beavers Tail on the Supercell

post-24-1146728907_thumb.jpg - Mothership Supercell

We stopped about 3 miles east of Clairmont at about 755pm and possibly saw 2 rain wrapped Tornadoes but will have to check Video Footage, moved rather quickly as the Storm started moving South East towards us, took refuge on a South road to get away and outrun it for a while just South of Clairmont. Just after this at about 8.08pm I capured these images which have been backed up by the SPC.

post-24-1146729134.jpg - Wall Cloud descends

post-24-1146729188.jpg - TORNADO ON THE GROUND :D At about 8.08pm just South of Clairmont (TX)

0208 UNK CLAIREMONT KENT TX 3317 10075 EXTENSIVE DAMAGE. (LUB)

We finally got in front of the Storm just North Of Snyder and got some Lightning Shots, just wish i had phoned the SPC In Lubbock and reported this in time.

post-24-1146729291.jpg - CG Lightning

post-24-1146729335_thumb.jpg - Sheet Lightning

post-24-1146729381.jpg - CG Lightning

post-24-1146729457.jpg - Lightning under Mothership

Took refuge at Snyder which is in Target area for today, Don't know how ozzie is feeling after all this but i hope his Birthday today is as good as yesterday, he is totally overwhelmed by all this.

Regards

Paul Sherman

Posted

Wow. Amazing pics - and success after just a few days! :D

Haven't been on for a while - great to see this going on! Have always wanted to do a storm chase ever since I saw some big storms in Arizona/Nevada a few years back (in September though).

Good luck with rest of the trip - stay safe though!

All the best

Smich

Posted

Right Guys I have had a play around with this image and had to Auto Enhance this so you can see it better, did not have time last night as it was 3am when we got to bed after the Golf Ball Hailstorms B)

post-24-1146755184.jpg - TORNADO ON THE GROUND

The SPC Reports correlate this, if you go to Storm Reports section for 050306 and look in the Wind Damage section there is a report from Clairemont (Tx) at 8.08pm of Extensive Damage with Unknown Wind Speeds, only wish we had phoned this through to the SPC @ Lubbock then the report would have said Tornado Reported by Netweather Team , DAMN

Paul Sherman

Posted
Right Guys I have had a play around with this image and had to Auto Enhance this so you can see it better, did not have time last night as it was 3am when we got to bed after the Golf Ball Hailstorms B)

post-24-1146755184.jpg - TORNADO ON THE GROUND

Paul Sherman

WOW!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: storms and extreme weather

Fantastic stuff Guys, great pictures, just love it all ! but oh so jealous...

Guest Mr_S

Congrats on getting a tornado B) :D:):)

And lovely pics... keep em coming :) we may even catch you all up - Supercells or MSC's are forecast for parts of UK - maybe the stepping stones for a tornado :D (Estofex)

Posted

Ah some great pictures there Paul, of course you've just got to love that tornado picture, but the whole lot were great!

O bet Ozzie was very happy, and also is that not your first as well Paul?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Snow

Great pics Paul..

So envious after the non event we had today in the UK..

Meh

Keep em comming mate!

Kain

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unexpected gusts of wind, and cumulus clouds in rude and amusing shapes.

Congratulations on bagging your first Tornado, here's hoping there's plenty more to come.

Posted

WOW!!!! :p great photos.. :o

stay safe peeps.. thanks for the baron shot yesterday paul.. fantastic piece of equipment.. bit of a life saver if need be..

any chance of a regular shot? pain i know but its interesting to be able to see what you see and what youre all up against as you are that blob. LOL :o