Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Us Chase Day 6 Discussion - 5th May 2006

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Tornadoey

A couple of cells have fired to the west of San Angelo, and what looks like a NW-SE oriented outflow boundary is visible to the NE of San Angelo moving W. I'm very interested to see what happens when they meet. I'd expect some sort of fireworks :lol:

Classic hook looks to be developing on the Taylor County supercell too. It looked crowded out earlier, but has absorbed all the other cels near it and now stands alone. One to keep an eye on, and I suspect it is the cell the chase team are on :)

TaylorCell2.png

Edit: Just gone Tor Warned...

Edited by Gorky

:lol: hope you guys are there or there abouts looks very active in that area

post-3740-1146877352_thumb.png

but if you have gone north of your last position then good on you :)

post-3740-1146877755_thumb.png

URGENT - IMMEDIATE BROADCAST REQUESTED

SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WATCH NUMBER 296

NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER NORMAN OK

710 PM CDT FRI MAY 5 2006

THE NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER HAS ISSUED A

SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WATCH FOR PORTIONS OF

NORTHWEST TEXAS

EFFECTIVE THIS FRIDAY NIGHT AND SATURDAY MORNING FROM 710 PM

UNTIL 200 AM CDT.

HAIL TO 2 INCHES IN DIAMETER...THUNDERSTORM WIND GUSTS TO 70

MPH...AND DANGEROUS LIGHTNING ARE POSSIBLE IN THESE AREAS.

Edited by wolves78

Posted

Caught this on a webcam earlier :) Who needs to pay thousands of £££ when you can do everything in front of you PC :lol:

towercam3.jpg

Edited by Gorky

Posted

The team must be spoilt for choice at this point in time! 4 tornado warned cells around Abilene's radar site Further west, theres a cell with a confirmed tornado near Patricia in Martin County. The southern most cell in Coleman County has developed a nice tight couplet on lowest scans, and has a nice hook in that area to boot. I'd hate to be in their position to have to choose which storm to follow. This cell is the small one I mentioned earlier btw which crossed the outflow boundary by San Angelo. It bloomed into an awesome cell as I expected :) Also as I post this a wicked hook has formed on the Eastland county storm. Too much going on to keep up :lol:

Edit: Tornado confirmed on the Coleman County Cell by storm chasers..

Edited by Gorky

Posted

wow looks like its been an active day 10 confirmed tornados odds on they bagged 1

shame i had to go to bed early gota go awork now :lol: cant wait for there posts

Posted

Hi all, started late in Norman after getting the Baron up and running chased a cell from early development near Aberlene Tx all afternoon and evening got some 2" hail maybe bigger trees shreaded cars damaged but we managed to stop shorty of being hit :-) our cell produced a promising lowering from a decent base at one time but then decided it was going to reform and structure its self in a different place which then put us out of position we chased this storm till 2100hrs where there were several repots of Tornados but we didnt get to see one I guess they were after dark??? we are crashed out in Cisco on the i20 at the Best western NOT RECOMMENDED as they have charged us $97 for one small double!!!! Im not impressed, anyway atm looks like SE TX for us tomorrow.

CHEERS, Steve.

Posted

bloddy ell 16 tornados in 8 hours and there is still tornado watch out!

whats the record for number of tornados in one day (24hours)?

post-1430-1146905760.gif

Edited by fuzion

Posted
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.

The 28 tornadoes that occurred in Ohio on Sunday, July 12, 1992, went into the record books as the most recorded in a single day. They also contributed to the July 1992 record of 44 tornadoes in one month and a record annual total of 61 tornadoes. Fortunately, summer tornadoes tend to be weaker than spring storms and none of the 44 tornadoes during July 1992 were violent. This contributed to the absence of fatalities and only 36 injuries from the record number of tornadoes.

Hi all, started late in Norman after getting the Baron up and running chased a cell from early development near Aberlene Tx all afternoon and evening got some 2" hail maybe bigger trees shreaded cars damaged but we managed to stop shorty of being hit :-) our cell produced a promising lowering from a decent base at one time but then decided it was going to reform and structure its self in a different place which then put us out of position we chased this storm till 2100hrs where there were several repots of Tornados but we didnt get to see one I guess they were after dark??? we are crashed out in Cisco on the i20 at the Best western NOT RECOMMENDED as they have charged us $97 for one small double!!!! Im not impressed, anyway atm looks like SE TX for us tomorrow.

CHEERS, Steve.

nice to hear from you steve thanks for letting us know what happend on your first day keep the reports coming :lol:

and is it just me that is wondering why there has been nothing from PAUL & OZZIE yet maybe a late night but they have normaly reported to us by now with pics and so on

Posted
nice to hear from you steve thanks for letting us know what happend on your first day keep the reports coming :)

and is it just me that is wondering why there has been nothing from PAUL & OZZIE yet maybe a late night but they have normaly reported to us by now with pics and so on

:lol: yeah strange not hearing from them yet

Posted
The 28 tornadoes that occurred in Ohio on Sunday, July 12, 1992, went into the record books as the most recorded in a single day. They also contributed to the July 1992 record of 44 tornadoes in one month and a record annual total of 61 tornadoes. Fortunately, summer tornadoes tend to be weaker than spring storms and none of the 44 tornadoes during July 1992 were violent. This contributed to the absence of fatalities and only 36 injuries from the record number of tornadoes.

Blimey nowhere near the record.

The record outbreak of tornado's in a 24hr period was back on April 3-4 1974 when 148 tornado's were recorded in 13 states. This event was classed as a super outbreak because there was continous tornados for 18hrs and included many F5.

Here is a map of the tornado's tracks.

Super_Outbreak_Map.PNG

Courtsey of http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Outbreak

Edited by THE EYE IN THE SKY

Posted
Blimey nowhere near the record.

The record outbreak of tornado's in a 24hr period was back on April 3-4 1974 when 148 tornado's were recorded in 13 states. This event was classed as a super outbreak because there was continous tornados for 18hrs and included many F5.

Here is a map of the tornado's tracks.

Super_Outbreak_Map.PNG

Courtsey of http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Outbreak

I stand corrected TEITS... But i think the record still stands at 28 for a single state in 24hrs... but correct me on this if i'm wrong again...

Posted

Weren't there 66 tornadoes in one day in England during November 1981?

I recall reading of the day in a Journal Of Meteorology.

Posted

Missouri has more than 28 earlier this year in 24 hours on March 12th (32 I think). That is probably a record for Ohio, but certainly not for a state. There were over 60 tornados in the May 3rd 1999 outbreak between Kansas and Oklahoma alone, so whilst significant, last nights action is nothing out of the ordinary.

Posted

There are some stunning pictures on StormTrack.org's forum, and an insane hail video by Reed Timmer. Link is http://www.stormtrack.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=11227

Posted

Hi Everyone, it was a real messy set up over here huge amounts of rain and large hail I think a lot of reported Tornaods fell after or near dark we chased our cell real hard and that was supposed to have put down Tornaos in the eastland area but we didnt see none, only the lowering from a solid base earlier will try post a pic.

havent heard from paul and ozzie other than on the chase list and there first tornado but I guess they were on this set up and chased late into the wee hours so are probably still zapped! cheers all. Steve. oh ps we will probably drop south for 100 t0m 200 miles today then tomorrow head back noth to get in poition for monday on the Oklahoma Kansas boarders but as always is subject to change nearer the time :-)

Posted
There are some stunning pictures on StormTrack.org's forum, and an insane hail video by Reed Timmer. Link is http://www.stormtrack.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=11227

The Baseball sized Hail is incredible. Quite a bit of damage to the Car.

Some of the cloud structures are breath-taking!

Posted

2 shots sorry about the size no time to sort out !!! one of Pete pointing towards a green strip of hail in the cell above and the other of our lowering at or near Aberlene Texas yesterday, Oh and one of some hail which was all over the road and on the verges and some in me eyes lol :)

post-110-1146924238.jpg

post-110-1146924442_thumb.jpg

post-110-1146925384.jpg

Posted

great pics there steve..

the one thing i cant get over is how casual chasers are about taking photos.. well i suppose its some sort of holiday shot but i think id have the tendancy to err.. wuss out at that stage.. LOL :)

Posted

I suspect that the chase team followed the severe storm cluster across central TX and may have decided to keep driving southeast to be in a better location for today's redevelopment. That could have involved a 4-6 hour drive. The remnants of the severe storms are now in the Houston area but the frontal zone will probably redevelop later today further north around Temple, south of Waco. A position between Temple and Austin in east central Texas is recommended for today's operations.

Posted

Just for futher interest you can see where we are by looking at www.ukstorm.net/ta2006/aprs.html cheers all you can also check out diary pages on this site www.ukstorm.net/ta2006/index.html