Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Us Chase Day 6 Discussion - 5th May 2006

Posted

That storm with the hail is ridiculous :) .

How does it get that big :) . Thanks for the video link, have shared it with my town forum as there's a few people who like storms on there.

Posted

Hi all just to say we are safe and well JUST! :)

We tracked the Coleman County Tornado and caught it as it initiated just east Of San Angelo, followed it on a lovely North-East Road and at one point on me Vid have got a lowering Funnel which has been reported as a Tornado, but as Steve says these cells fired at about 7pm so when the Tornadoes were forming the light and Contrast just were not there, this cell was dropping larger than Baseball sized jail and as it was the Southern Most Storm it had an un-interrupted flow of South East Winds. Then we had a Bow Echo come through at Midnight in Brownwood where we are which killed the Wifi Signals and Phones, incredible Video of this event with straight line winds that have soaked our apartment room :) Got some great pictures to post and Ozzie has the most amazing Anvil Crawlers and Spider Lightning you will ever see from early this morning, I did'nt get to see that as I crashed but seeing his pictures makes me feel like i was there. Will post a Chase Report and Pictures tonight.

Today is tricky as the risk area is way down near the Mexico border and we need to be in position for Monday in Kansas.

Paul Sherman

Posted

cool cant wait to see the pics & vid. :) clad you are all ok after seeing pics and video of the hail and storms

Posted
That storm with the hail is ridiculous :lol: .

How does it get that big :blink: . Thanks for the video link, have shared it with my town forum as there's a few people who like storms on there.

The reason why the hail is so large in some of these storms is due to the powerful updrafts. Normally hail will fall from the cloud if it becomes to heavy for the updrafts to support them or the updrafts weaken but the powerful updrafts in these storms allows the Hail to become suspended and grow in size.

Posted
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.
The reason why the hail is so large in some of these storms is due to the powerful updrafts. Normally hail will fall from the cloud if it becomes to heavy for the updrafts to support them or the updrafts weaken but the powerful updrafts in these storms allows the Hail to become suspended and grow in size.

I remember hearing a world war II pilot jumped from his damaged plane during a thunderstorm and was said to have been suspended in the cloud for almost an hour.. needless to say he froze to death!!