Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Wasps

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

they could be hoverflies? or hornets? they tend to fly still for ridiculous amounts of time, I remember when i was a child, I used to think hoverflies stung, naturally it has its own false warning sign. Hornets however, not good in anyway - both aggressive and deadly.

Posted

Well, as I'm sure you are all on the edge of your seats wondering what happened with our nest... Late yesterday evening, as per the instructions on the can, Lord P sprayed the wasps nest with the 'foaming wasp nest destroyer';.

As soon as he started spraying the nest it fell off the ceiling of the shed, causing him to squeal like a girl and leap back about 4 feet. No furious buzzing demons emerged, so he kept spraying the nest until it was completely covered, then slammed the shed door shut... and coated the entire front of the shed in foam as well.

I did mention his tendency to be excessive, didn't I?

Edit... Blizzards... the things you describe sound like hover flies. Freaky but harmless. Like so many things.

Edited by Lady Penelope

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy

I think Wasp's only become a pain from late July onwards. Spring and early summer they have a purpose in life but once the nest is built and breeding they get chucked out (like disruptive teens) and then the troubles begin.

Over spring and early summer the can be a joy to watch (chewing up wood from fences and tables) but from July onwards it is 'total war'. I generally have a pile of dead wasps (a little way away from where we are sat as they release a pheromone summoning other wasps when attacked) to spare my lass from indulging in her funny 'wasp dance' every 5 mins.

Posted
I think Wasp's only become a pain from late July onwards. Spring and early summer they have a purpose in life but once the nest is built and breeding they get chucked out (like disruptive teens) and then the troubles begin.

Over spring and early summer the can be a joy to watch (chewing up wood from fences and tables) but from July onwards it is 'total war'. I generally have a pile of dead wasps (a little way away from where we are sat as they release a pheromone summoning other wasps when attacked) to spare my lass from indulging in her funny 'wasp dance' every 5 mins.

With my phobia I am afraid there is no circumstance under which I would find wasp watching a joy!

Even so, I felt rather guilty encouraging Lord P to attack them, but we were told to deal with the nest now, while it only contained the queen and a couple of minions, rather than later, when there could be tons of the little blighters.

I too had heard about the dead wasp attraction scheme... and another useful tip I heard (which really seems to work) is holding your breath when a wasp comes near... they are attracted by the carbon dioxide we exhale or something... which is why screaming at them only seems to make them more interested.

Posted
With my phobia I am afraid there is no circumstance under which I would find wasp watching a joy!

Even so, I felt rather guilty encouraging Lord P to attack them, but we were told to deal with the nest now, while it only contained the queen and a couple of minions, rather than later, when there could be tons of the little blighters.

I too had heard about the dead wasp attraction scheme... and another useful tip I heard (which really seems to work) is holding your breath when a wasp comes near... they are attracted by the carbon dioxide we exhale or something... which is why screaming at them only seems to make them more interested.

I certainly know that Midges and Mozzies (females, who do the biting) home in on CO2 (don't let Mondy see this) so masking your output keeps you midge free but I had never heard of it from wasps. I don't know whether some perfumes have either a 'sweet' scent or contain a pheromone they find appealing but it is mainly women you see doing the 'wasp dance'. Maybe if you tried to smell more 'manly' you'd not have the same problem. I do have a pair of old walking socks that'd make a good start to your de-naturing..........

Posted
Glass of orange juice. Gets them every time.

Do they drink it or wear it?!

Maybe if you tried to smell more 'manly' you'd not have the same problem. I do have a pair of old walking socks that'd make a good start to your de-naturing..........

Erm. That's a very kind offer Mr Wolf. No really. But, erm, *thinks quickly*. I believe all my smelly sock needs are being met for the moment.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunder, strong winds
Do they drink it or wear it?!

Both! :cold: Last year I put half a glass of orange juice in the garden. When I checked it little of the orange juice remained but there must have been upwards of 50 dead wasps!

Posted

We had a nest in our eaves last year. Hubby used the foaming wasp nest killer and some powder stuff too. He's also filled the whole they went in through. Did the job. Can't stand wasps although I have to appreciate how clever they are. Have seen three queens so far this year. Yuk. Better not nest near my house/garden. Love Bees and hoverflies though.

Posted
Both! :cold: Last year I put half a glass of orange juice in the garden. When I checked it little of the orange juice remained but there must have been upwards of 50 dead wasps!

Anything 'sweet' will attract the 'vagrants' away from where you are, it'll also do for slugs if you leave it on the ground overnight.

Posted
Over spring and early summer the can be a joy to watch (chewing up wood

from fences and tables)

The scratching/chewing sound they make is eerie until you locate where it's

coming from. Our garden bench has marks from last year and they're at it again.

Posted
The scratching/chewing sound they make is eerie until you locate where it's

coming from. Our garden bench has marks from last year and they're at it again.

But it is a good opportunity for the 'phobics' to get up close and personal without running the risk of being stung and so hopefully reduce their knee jerk responses come late summer......better for everyone eh?

Posted
But it is a good opportunity for the 'phobics' to get up close and personal without running the risk of being stung and so hopefully reduce their knee jerk responses come late summer......better for everyone eh?

Don't start Wolf boy! Only someone who isn't phobic could suggest that.

*shudder*

Update on the Lady P nest situation... our wasp is gone... it is no more.... it has gone to meet its maker... etc.

Posted
Don't start Wolf boy! Only someone who isn't phobic could suggest that.

*shudder*

Update on the Lady P nest situation... our wasp is gone... it is no more.... it has gone to meet its maker... etc.

I take take it total immersion therapy isn't for you then Lady P.? Just think of all those furry little bodies snuggling into yours!............I'll get my coat (and running shoes!)

Edited by Gray-Wolf

Posted
Gah.

I hope you get fleas. Big ones. :)

Don't worry, we have escaped crickets at the moment singing all night long......I think they're in the floorspace on the 1st floor.....maybe our resident Shelob will do for them? But then maybe Shelob will grow to enormous proportions and become an even bigger problem.......don't mess with nature I say!!!

• 4 months later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunder, strong winds
i got a wasps nest on my porch

couldnt get in the door

Ratty77

If you've got a nest there then it's best to remove it, or get a professional to remove it.