Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storm Report For Friday The 12th Of May

Stuart

Posted
High level storm over my head about 90 mins ago, a few nice bolts as well from that one!

Think I saw 1 fork lightening the other side of the river from that Kold - Im about 5 miles south from you.

Posted
Heard thunder to the north and West of Swindon,very difficult to work out it's direction. :)

We went out for a Friday night drinkie with the little people. After driving around to find a certain pub (which did not really exist) we ended up doing an impromptu storm chase :)

Hubbie reckoned it would not get to us but within 10 mins we had to drink up :) and head off home again through intense rain and lightening :) back home before 7pm, with lots of rumbles and occasional flashes of lightening carrying on for an hour after

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unexpected gusts of wind, and cumulus clouds in rude and amusing shapes.

Saw lightning to the North and NNW walking home about 2155. Some low distant rumbles. Quiet now.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Tornadoey

Had another electrical storm rumble to the south of here at about 5:00pm. Some crazy cloud motions right above me as I looked up into the northern edge. Scuddy clouds were moving in every direction, and eventually, they formed a horizontal circular arc of cloud. I have no idea if there was any lowering being right under it, but it was interesting to look at anyway. The last storm apparently came through between 8:30pm and 9:30pm but I was inside and oblivious. Apparently, it left a couple of inches of water on our patio, and was accompanied by pea sized hail and frequent purple CG lightning. Shame I missed that. I'd usually be home by 8:30 on a Friday but was delayed today....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

Some intense storms overhead between 6-8Pm, nice lightning and booming thunder - pity I was in work, which inhibited the view somewhat - there were 2 storms all together - before that I witnessed 3 storms to the south from 12pm-3pm

Posted

3 rather intense thunderstorms here during the afternoon containing very heavy rain and hail. And, more recently a fourth during the last 30 minutes, which has given quite a few rumbles of thunder but no rain as yet.

Edited by reef

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and dry

A storm just outside Leeds brought thunder and lightning earlier this afternoon.

Paul Hudson (our local bbc weatherman) said that there was damage to cars caused by large hail in the York area.

Posted

In the end, the thunderstorms only just made it here. There were a handful of lightening strikes locally <5km, but most were further north, giving some nice forks on the horizon. There were only a few thunder claps which had that distinctive tearing noise which you get from a local strike. Most were rumbles. It has dried up, but the band of now showery rain running SW-NE from the Bristol Channel to the Wash is fleeting with us.

With any luck it might brighten up in the morning and create some potential for us early tomorrow afternoon. I'm not holding my breath though.

Posted

Wow that was some day of action. 6hrs of lightning storms and torrential rain in Dublin during the afternoon and evening. Spectacular :)

Posted

Well about time! just had a stonking storm come out of nowhere, one minute bright moon next full on storm :)

Posted

Evening all... esp you in Surrey :) I have been watching the storm now from Dulwich Castle progress across the sky from West to East for the last hour and a half.

Some decent purple c-g strikes, a lot of chasing inter cloud strikes, and occasionally you get to see the ground leader choose the cloud, most unusual.

Its now moving further East with thunder getting louder, though still at least 15 miles away.

Interestingly, NO weather programme is showing any significant activity in the path of this storm at all, i have checked for the last 3 hours, and it seems to have .. if you will excuse the pun.. 'passed under the radar'.

Posted
  • Location: Abingdon - 55m ASL - Capital of The Central Southern England Corridor of Winter Convectionlessness
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Snow>Freezing Fog; Summer: Sun>Daytime Storms
  • Location: Abingdon - 55m ASL - Capital of The Central Southern England Corridor of Winter Convectionlessness

Was just about to finish with The Godfather on PS2 and go to bed when there was an almighty flash of lightning and subsequent roar of thunder at about 3am. Completely without warning. Subsequent rumbles have followed. Heavy rain now setting in. Radar indicates small but fairly intense line of precipitation heading up from the south-west. Good job I didn't go to bed a bit earlier otherwise this would have given me one hell of a f r i g h t when it would have woken me up.

EDIT: Why is f r i g h t a forbidden word?

Edited by The Enforcer

Posted
  • Location: Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire, England. 108.7m ASL
  • Location: Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire, England. 108.7m ASL

Only just been able to report. Haven't got internet where i'm staying now. So i'm making reports from parents house.

Started looking iffyin milton keynes about 6:30Pm, sat looking out the patio window watching three small clouds grow into huge narrow towers. After 30 mins 1 of the towers developed a large striated anvil. Then all hell broke loose for nearly 45mins. Hardly any rainfall, but loads of IC and CG lightning and booming thunder.

Was great.

Also the first thunderstorm of the year. :angry: