Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storm Report Surrey May 13th

Lightning Ed

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Still/Hot or extremes. Fog/Damp etc boring...

What an evening! I set off to brighton at around 10pm ish, as I was curious to see weather the storms from France would move over. I'm no expert and didnt think to check radar before considering this. Needless to say it was soon to be a waste of time, and I arrived back home two hours later. Just my friend and I were carrying all our gear back in, we saw a local flash to us, so upto the highest local area, and there we had it - our own locally grown storm. EXCELLENT! the view from the north downs was fantastic. With a decent CG strike every few minutes for the first time in my life I got some decent lightning photos - a dream fulfulled. It lasted for around an hour or so where it drifted off over to essex way and died. I saw the thing from its begging to the end and what a wonderfull night time show.

I hope you enjoy these pics :) I may also have some video but these images still say it well.

http://www.edsworld.co.uk/weather/lightning/may13/

Until next time...

Ed

Posted

Same storm that hit me to above post. About 1:30 ish great lightning show before suddenly ending very locolised one tho as some people i know said that they didnt get anything a few miles away

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Thunder and a brief downpour around 6.30am, though the main core of the storm passed to the South of Colchester.

Sun coming out now, some convection in the distance:

Posted

Thanks it was my first stom of the year (worth noting anyway)! Heres to the rest of them!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow!

absolutely huge thunder and lightnign storm here, and i have lots of video clips so will check them out now- first proper storm of the year, after a bit of lightning and thunder this morning.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and thundery or Cold and snowy.

Thunder storm here in gloucester..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fog, Drizzle, Rain, Wind and Thunderstorms

Thunderstorm also present here! Just west of Stratford Upon Avon.

Posted

Good storm last night between 9-11PM. Quite a bit of thunder&lightning and bursts of extremely heavy rain.

A lot of people were caught out in Canterbury City centre and got very wet without any coats. LOL

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme.....
What an evening! I set off to brighton at around 10pm ish, as I was curious to see weather the storms from France would move over. I'm no expert and didnt think to check radar before considering this. Needless to say it was soon to be a waste of time, and I arrived back home two hours later. Just my friend and I were carrying all our gear back in, we saw a local flash to us, so upto the highest local area, and there we had it - our own locally grown storm. EXCELLENT! the view from the north downs was fantastic. With a decent CG strike every few minutes for the first time in my life I got some decent lightning photos - a dream fulfulled. It lasted for around an hour or so where it drifted off over to essex way and died. I saw the thing from its begging to the end and what a wonderfull night time show.

I hope you enjoy these pics :) I may also have some video but these images still say it well.

http://www.edsworld.co.uk/weather/lightning/may13/

Until next time...

Ed

Truly fantastic pics Ed. Gutted I missed that and I'm not that far from you. It ALWAYS misses me ! Snow and now storms. Next time you're off looking for a storm or know of one let me know !!!

Posted

Thanks Debby, I think it pretty much went past you (ish) I'm surprised you didnt hear it :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme.....

Trust me it didn't !! Gutted ! And I wouldn't mind but they even got it in Reigate even closer to me than you I think....Where abouts are you exactly ?

Posted

No reports for the 15th??? Had to post this here instead!

The rain is torrential here at the moment - back yard is flooding. Thunder heard 3 times in last 10 mins.

Edited by splidge

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

Heard one clap of thunder to the west at 1810. Presumably, Splidge, this is the storm you've recently had; it's had time to develop a bit more since it moved past here.

T.M

Posted
Heard one clap of thunder to the west at 1810. Presumably, Splidge, this is the storm you've recently had; it's had time to develop a bit more since it moved past here.

T.M

Yes, the Netweather Lightning detector is now showing it - the only strike in the UK apparently!

Weather now returned to normal - overcast & light rain as per the rest of the day.

Posted

Had around 3 loud cracks of thunder around 8.00pm tonight and heavy rain too.

No reports for the 15th??? Had to post this here instead!

The rain is torrential here at the moment - back yard is flooding. Thunder heard 3 times in last 10 mins.

as ther wasnt a thread for today ive made one so feel free to copy and past your reports in there or one of the mods could kindly move them into there for you :D

heres the link storm reports for 15/16th of may