Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Lincolnshire Tornado ?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

So it's nothing to do with flagpole, then? :blink:

PS: what's a 'freak' tornado - F7??

Edited by Superted

Posted

Sounds very scary to have that happen to you. Poor woman.

Must've been great to view from a short distance though.

:D

What gets me is why did that met-office person say that it was a 'funnel cloud'? I thought a funnel cloud was a tornado that never touches the ground.

Dave Angwin (44), duty forecaster at the MET Office based at RAF Waddington said that tornados like this can appear just out of the blue.

"This was what we call a funnel cloud, it's nothing like the kind of tornado you see in America, but if you are caught up in one you'd certainly know about it," he said.

"It started near Cranwell and then made its way over to Ruskington.

"They tend to form at the bottom of thunderstorm clouds or cumulo nimbus as they are known.

"There was a heavy shower between 7pm and 8Pm and there has to be a little bit of rotation in the cloud to help it spin."

I would hardly call a rotating condensation funnel that sucks up objects from the ground a mere 'funnel cloud'. Just because it's lower on the Fujita scale, doesn't merit it being relegated of the tornadic label. I'd rather call it a tornado and be accurate about it.

:blink:

Edited by PersianPaladin

Posted

it also said that the guy videoed it on his mobile phone ....now that would be good to see :blink:

Posted

seems different people have different definitions.

All tornadoes have funnel clouds. In my opinion touchdown occurs when the funnel drops enough for its circulation to have a clear and significant effect on the ground itself (like ripping up the grass/mud and carrying it around the circulation in a small circle at the least).

I guess some people don't consider it to be an actual tornado until the funnel actually touches the ground though.

Posted
seems different people have different definitions.

All tornadoes have funnel clouds. In my opinion touchdown occurs when the funnel drops enough for its circulation to have a clear and significant effect on the ground itself (like ripping up the grass/mud and carrying it around the circulation in a small circle at the least).

I guess some people don't consider it to be an actual tornado until the funnel actually touches the ground though.

I thought the true definition of 'Funnel Cloud' was a rotating coloumn of air reaching towards the ground but not connected, and 'Tornado' was the term for when the rotating column of air actually reaches the ground and connects, thus hte two being completely seperate and not interchangable?

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Some pictures/reports can be seen on the BBC link below of what looks and sounds like a weak tornado yesterday evening in Lincs:

_41651086_tornadosleaford203.jpg

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/lincolnshire/4985262.stm

Certainly was some storm activity in the area at the time:

Edited by Nick F

Posted
PS: what's a 'freak' tornado - F7??

No Pete, the media always call them 'freaks' :blink: .

As for the quote from the RAf Met bloke, yet again the media botches up a brilliant weather event with false quotes and saying it's 'freak'.

No Pete, the media always call them 'freaks' :blink: .

As for the quote from the RAf Met bloke, yet again the media botches up a brilliant weather event with false quotes and saying it's 'freak'.

It did touch the ground,i've been to the touchdown area and have photo's of the damage.These photo's are on ukww.not much damage really looks like just a very brief touchdown.

Posted
It did touch the ground,i've been to the touchdown area and have photo's of the damage.These photo's are on ukww.not much damage really looks like just a very brief touchdown.

There'd be damage from the tornado circulation whether the funnel touched the ground or not. I agree that it touched down, but if that photo is anything to go by, the funnel didn't.

Posted
There'd be damage from the tornado circulation whether the funnel touched the ground or not. I agree that it touched down, but if that photo is anything to go by, the funnel didn't.

You can't judge from one photo, oh, and if you classify the tops of buildings as 'ground' then it's a tornado.

Posted
but if that photo is anything to go by, the funnel didn't

...hence the operative word in that sentence, "if". :lol:

Personally I don't classify the tops of houses as ground. I classify only ground as ground. It was still a tornado thoug in my opinion, as the tornadic circulation, it seems, did interact significantly with the ground.

Edited by crimsone

Posted
...hence the operative word in that sentence, "if". :lol:

Personally I don't classify the tops of houses as ground. I classify only ground as ground. It was still a tornado thoug in my opinion, as the tornadic circulation, it seems, did interact significantly with the ground.

Lol.

True.

Posted
Dave Angwin (44), duty forecaster at the MET Office based at RAF Waddington said that tornados like this can appear just out of the blue.

"This was what we call a funnel cloud, it's nothing like the kind of tornado you see in America, but if you are caught up in one you'd certainly know about it," he said.

"It started near Cranwell and then made its way over to Ruskington.

That is an odd quote, he may have been misquoted though. If it reaches the ground it is a tornado.