Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Exceptionally Low Full Moon: 11th June

Posted

Mark this date in your diary as on the night of the 11th and 12th of June 2006, the full moon as viewed from the UK will be exceptionally low, a touch lower than last year's June full moon

At this time of the year, the full moon compared to the other full moons that occur throughout the year, is at its lowest in the sky from our latitudes due to the axial tilt of the Earth. It is almost opposite to what occurs for our viewing of the Sun, where it is at its highest for this time of year.

The opposite occurs at the winter solstice where the Sun is at its lowest and the full moon nearest the solstice is at its highest.

Another factor comes into play is that the lunar orbit around the Earth is tilted at about 5 degrees to the plane of the Sun and the Earth. Due to regressional drift, the date when the moon reaches it maximum angles above and below the Sun/Earth plane changes with time, about 19 degrees for every year. It takes about 18 and a half years for one cycle to be complete.

The highest full moons occur very close to the winter solstice in the northern hemisphere and when the moon is at it maximum angle above the Sun/Earth plane.

The lowest full moons occur when the moon is at its maximum angle below the Sun/Earth plane nearest the summer solstice in the northern hemisphere.

At around 12.30am on the 12th of June the full moon will reach its highest postion and this will be the altitude from these locations.

Reykjavik: invisible

Lerwick: about a half degree

Edinburgh: 4 degrees 44 seconds

Belfast: 6 degrees 2 seconds

Manchester: 7 degrees 15 seconds

Birmingham: 8 degrees 15 seconds

London: 9 degrees 15 seconds

It will be one of the lowest full moons in decades.

Posted

A noteworthy event, but one I've never really understood as if you want to see a really low full moon, take a look 5 minutes after it's risen.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Hot Summer days

Tried to look at the low full moon last year from my bedroom window, unfortunatly the woods to the south blocked my view, will have to get to a clear area to view.

Also a little question, will the moon appear bigger in pictures taken on that night?

Posted
I think you need to check your units, Mr. D.

Where you have "seconds", my calculations indicate you should have "minutes".

This looks like an :lol: to me!

Yes, you are right they should be minutes rather than seconds. :D

Posted
Is there any link between the brightness of the moon and its height in the sky. (probably an obvious question)

Yes i think its probably due to pollution and atmospherics, just like the sun. Something to do with the angle of viewing agianst the angle of atmospheric gasses and ozone i would have thought, particule refraction?

• 2 weeks later...
Posted
Also a little question, will the moon appear bigger in pictures taken on that night?
Heres a pic I took last year when the full moon was low on 23/06.

post-3392-1149015265.jpg

So the illusion can be captured on camera :rolleyes:

Posted
In the run up to this event, there will be a conjunction of Jupiter with the moon in the evening sky on the 8th. Look south and you can't miss them, providing its clear!

Jupiter and the Moon were very obvious last night and they will be slightly closer tonight. In the early twilight, Jupiter will be above the moon.

During the night of the 10th/11th June, the Moon will be very close to the red supergiant Antares, it will be just to the north of it in Scorpius

Edited by Mr_Data

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

Certainly a very low Moon last night - well below Jupiter (which isn't that high up anyway). Summer astronomy is really quite limited to these bright objects as they're about all you can see up there with the lingering twilight & summer night haze we always get.

Posted

ok i took a quickie about 15 minutes ago, sorry about the quality but i am not great at night shots yet and i don't connect the camera to a telescope or binoculars yet either, but this is what i see from the front door ..

12thjunejustaftermidnight0_20060612_65006330.JPG

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy
ok i took a quickie about 15 minutes ago, sorry about the quality but i am not great at night shots yet and i don't connect the camera to a telescope or binoculars yet either, but this is what i see from the front door ..

12thjunejustaftermidnight0_20060612_65006330.JPG

Same here!!! The Vikings would have called this a 'Blood Moon' and taken portents from it!!!!

Edited by Gray-Wolf

Posted

Some rather haunting pictures of the moon there. Well I missed this again, last year I was obstructed by trees and couldn't be bothered walking up the road to get a clear view :o , and this year nature throws thundery rain down after 15 days of dry and fairly clear weather. The moon is a fascinating beast and I do enjoy watching it rise especially around 5pm in darkest December.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

Yeah winter is great for seeing the Moon, Venus and so on. Summer isn't be best astronomy time - too much light 'n haze.

I did love cycling home in November (pitch black at 5pm) and seeing blazing Venus in the western sky. Pity the best astronomy time falls when it's least comfortable being outside! Hands freezing to the telescope and all...